What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS6. VS IOS6 app update on Ipad1

Andy Loba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep getting app update for IOS6 on my Ipad1. .

Question: I don't want to execute theses updates since I Will never have IOS6 on my Ipad1.
How do I get red or delete theses updates ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no way you can avoid the updates for these apps. All the developers are updating the apps for iOS 6. You only have three options: (1) update, (2) ignore the updates (but you will continue to see red update badges on your App Store icon - and you will not be able to do "update all") or (3) delete the app so you don't have the update installed or see the update required badge.

Sorry to give such discouraging news, but, unfortunately, that is how Apple runs the App Store.

Marilyn

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the original iPad and I've been going Marilyn's number 1 suggestion, letting the app update. After each update on this iPad I launch the app and see no changes or problems. In fact, some of the apps seem to run a little bit better.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MattIM said:
I have the original iPad and I've been going Marilyn's number 1 suggestion, letting the app update. After each update on this iPad I launch the app and see no changes or problems. In fact, some of the apps seem to run a little bit better.

Mind you, there is the risk that an app may be updated to require iOS 6 at a minimum, in which case the app will no longer run on the ipad1.

DarioPhantom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Mind you, there is the risk that an app may be updated to require iOS 6 at a minimum, in which case the app will no longer run on the ipad1.

I believe it won't let you update the app if it requires iOS 6. That's what happened with Cards anyway.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
DarioPhantom said:
I believe it won't let you update the app if it requires iOS 6. That's what happened Cards anyway.

That's correct. Pages was the same when iOS 5 was released. You could not update the app without first updating the OS so your apps are safe.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
That's correct. Pages was the same when iOS 5 was released. You could not update the app without first updating the OS so your apps are safe.

The problem is with apps you have not yet purchased. You won't be allowed to download an app that requires a minimum iOS version higher than the one on your device.

exonautes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad1, and i'm unable to upgrade to iOS6i have experienced problems when trying to update some programs to newer versions
for example angry birds HD was not updating properly

when trying to update, the process hangs, and I can only stop the hanging by deleting the app and trying to download it again
in this point the installer tell me that installing is not possible because i dont have iOS6
so I cannot install IOS6 version, but have no way to go back to latest stable iOS5 version...

luckily this is not a paid app

but is that the case of other paid apps like transas iSailor?
IF SO, IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A SYSTEM WHERE I CAN AVOID BEING DRIVE TO THIS MESSY POINT
I'M HAPPY WHITH WHAT I HAVE, AND IF I CANNOT UPGRADE IS FINE, BUT AT LEAST I CAN HAVE WHAT I PAID FOR

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS?
1) a flag preventing updates of apps that can create this problem
2) a money back for people that dont have the hardware to keep on going and has been left without possible updates, and thrown out of the program
3) a way to download the 'last available step for iPad1 products'

its funny that THE APPLE WEBPAGE "iOS: Troubleshooting applications purchased from the App Store HTTP://support.apple.com/kb/TS1702?viewlocale=en_US" concludes that in this case i have to contact the app developer!

I THINK APPLE HAS A RESPONSABILITY BECAUSE IS DEVELOPING NEW PRODUCTS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PIONEER ONES
APPLE HAS TO PUT IN PLACE SOME SYSTEM ALLOWING APPLE 1 USERS (WE ARE TALKING OF A PRODUCT THAT IS ONLY 2 YEARS ON THE RUN) ENJOY ITS 'ELDER TIMES' WITHOUT HAVING CONTINUOUS PROBLEMS WITH THE UPDATES.
PLEASE SOLVE THAT

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
The problem is with apps you have not yet purchased. You won't be allowed to download an app that requires a minimum iOS version higher than the one on your device.

This is true. The problem my youngest son faces with his 2nd gen touch. Not a new enough OS to get most newer apps. He sad panda:(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
This is true. The problem my youngest son faces with his 2nd gen touch. Not a new enough OS to get most newer apps. He sad panda:(

Apple still sells iPod touch 4th generation in 16 and 32GB sizes. Have you thought of an upgrade, possibly for Christmas?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad1, and i'm unable to upgrade to iOS6i have experienced problems when trying to update some programs to newer versions
for example angry birds HD was not updating properly

when trying to update, the process hangs, and I can only stop the hanging by deleting the app and trying to download it again
in this point the installer tell me that installing is not possible because i dont have iOS6
so I cannot install IOS6 version, but have no way to go back to latest stable iOS5 version...

luckily this is not a paid app

but is that the case of other paid apps like transas iSailor?
IF SO, IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A SYSTEM WHERE I CAN AVOID BEING DRIVE TO THIS MESSY POINT
I'M HAPPY WHITH WHAT I HAVE, AND IF I CANNOT UPGRADE IS FINE, BUT AT LEAST I CAN HAVE WHAT I PAID FOR

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS?
1) a flag preventing updates of apps that can create this problem
2) a money back for people that dont have the hardware to keep on going and has been left without possible updates, and thrown out of the program
3) a way to download the 'last available step for iPad1 products'

its funny that THE APPLE WEBPAGE "iOS: Troubleshooting applications purchased from the App Store HTTP://support.apple.com/kb/TS1702?viewlocale=en_US" concludes that in this case i have to contact the app developer!

I THINK APPLE HAS A RESPONSABILITY BECAUSE IS DEVELOPING NEW PRODUCTS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PIONEER ONES
APPLE HAS TO PUT IN PLACE SOME SYSTEM ALLOWING APPLE 1 USERS (WE ARE TALKING OF A PRODUCT THAT IS ONLY 2 YEARS ON THE RUN) ENJOY ITS 'ELDER TIMES' WITHOUT HAVING CONTINUOUS PROBLEMS WITH THE UPDATES.
PLEASE SOLVE THAT

While I fully understand your frustration (I have deleted several apps that require iOS 6 because I don't want to update nor do I want to see the red badge on my App Store icon), I'm afraid that it really is the developer you must contact. Apple is in the business of updating the iOS to make it run as smooth as possible on a supported device. It is the developer's decision as to how far back the app does in support. They are the ones who make the decision to not support older iOS versions. They alone are the ones that you must talk to to provide feedback.

Marilyn

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Apple still sells iPod touch 4th generation in 16 and 32GB sizes. Have you thought of an upgrade, possibly for Christmas?

His brother is very kind and lets little brother use his 3rd gen on occasion. My oldest is asking everybody for cash this year for his birthday(Dec 11) and Christmas, he wants to buy an iPad. I have a feeling that his old iPod touch will suddenly become much more available to little bro then.

I wish I had the funds. I would buy them the world.

Most reactions

Latest posts