What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 1 closes apps on it's own

BrandiNBuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 1 that has been updated to 5.0.1 that closes applications on it's own, It did this before the update also. Any ideas what I can do? Also it says Low Memory alot in the diagnostics, I have 12 G left on it. The warranty has expired. Thanks.

rey_1178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mine does the same. i think its related to the ipad1 not having enough memory for 5.0 ios. and i have no hope apple will resolve the issue with the ipad3 coming out.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You should try an remember to restart your iPad at least once a week. (i used to do it every morning)

If you have any apps that are poorly coded, they can contain memory leaks that quickly cause the app to behave like this(out of memory).

Also many apps will just crash and close on their own.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes your iPad is doing this because of a lack of ram, the ipad1 has 256mb of ram whereas the ipad2 has 512mb but there are steps you can take to minimize this happening. Look at your location services, do you have many of these running as they all use ram, so minimize these to only the apps you are using now. Closing your apps completely can save you a lot of ram. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press all these minus signs, this will close the apps not delete them, now press the home button to return to your screen. I close all my apps every night, if you use a lot of apps, close them more regularly. Now to Safari which can use a lot of ram depending on the sites visited and also keeps bits of data from all these sites. Go into your Safari Settings and clear out your cookies and delete your history. Now hit the advanced tab at the bottom and then website data, this will show you all the sites you've been to, you can also clear this out.
Apps are only getting bigger nowadays with new technology releases and this is why older technology starts to suffer as it can't cope with the advancements. Once you've done all that, it would be a good idea to now restart your iPad. Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. All of these steps will help keep your ipad in good running order, its a little housekeeping. You may even find your ipad a little more responsive now. Good luck!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use to have a problem with this iPad closing apps. I cleared cookies, I closed apps in memory, and when it got too bad, I turned off my iPad. These were all good workarounds. However, after updating my iOS to 5.1, many of these problems have gone away. In the two days of using this iPad since the update, I haven't experienced Safari closing-->I haven't cleared my cookies yet. And all heavy memory apps do not advise me to close all apps and reboot my iPad. I still clear out apps in memory.

Your experience might be different, but I highly recommend upgrading to the new iOS5.1.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also seeing fewer RAM-related crashes since iOS 5.1. I recommend upgrading if that's an issue for you.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MattIM said:
I use to have a problem with this iPad closing apps. I cleared cookies, I closed apps in memory, and when it got too bad, I turned off my iPad. These were all good workarounds. However, after updating my iOS to 5.1, many of these problems have gone away. In the two days of using this iPad since the update, I haven't experienced Safari closing-->I haven't cleared my cookies yet. And all heavy memory apps do not advise me to close all apps and reboot my iPad. I still clear out apps in memory.

Your experience might be different, but I highly recommend upgrading to the new iOS5.1.

Yes I've noticed many members saying this about updating to 5.1 and that's a welcome relief for ipad1 users. Yes it's still a good idea to close out your apps, I have an ipad2 and I do it every night. Just a little housekeeping for your iPad. Thanks for letting us know!

Most reactions