What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari Closing Down

Studdha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,
My apologies if this has been covered anywhere.

I have a Ipad 1 64g 3g. Whilst browsing safari, it closes down and returns to my desk top. I thought it was a memoryproblem, but I have 36g of memory left. I had a look at my Diagnostics and Usage folder in setting and it has many entries under 'low memory. I recently updated to iOS 5.0 and was wondering if the is a problem as this didn't happen before.
Can anyone help please?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Safari has been crashing more often since I updated to iOS 5. That said, have you tried resetting your iPad since you upgraded? That often helps.

OP
S

Studdha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried that, still crashing! So annoying

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It most likely is a memory problem. The issue is that memory is not the same as storage space. Your iPad has a limited amount of RAM. That is nothing to do with the 64GB of storage it has...

To clear out memory, the easiest thing to do is double tap the home button, hold the first icon which appears in the switcher until they all start to wiggle, then close every app in the switcher by clicking the X. This will free all your iPad's memory and Safari should work much better.

IOS has excellent memory management capabilities, but sometimes even it struggles, so doing this once in a while if apps start to close themselves is the easiest solution...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt a memory problem in my case, because I'm anal and rarely leave a bunch of apps open. My practices haven't changed before or after iOS 5, and Safari is crashing much more often -- sometimes several times a day. That's versus before iOS 5, when I had a handful of Safari crashes over a year-plus, starting with the debut of iPad 1 and continuing with iPad 2.

Dlh1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been having the same trouble with Safari since updating to ios 5. Hopefully Apple will release some kind of update to fix the problem.

aBlondeMoment

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have :iPad1 64G/3G
Before the update I experienced maybe 5 crashes over 10 months & a restart usually fixed the problem. Now, after the update, it crashes approx. 3-5 times/day. Every time it does this, I go through the double-tap/close program sequence to no avail. Eventually I get frustrated and shut the iPad off for the night.

Most reactions

Latest posts