What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS8 on iPad Air - thoughts?

cherokee180c

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If anyone is having problems downloading the update and is on Verizon Fios, the issue is Verizon's DNS servers, not Apple. My download time went from 30 hours to 5 minutes when I switched my DNS address to Googles 8.8.8.8 after reading posts online.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone figure out how to have Safari re-order the action items? I want to move my 1Password extension to the front and also have print visible without having to scroll to the right. It appears you can reorder it where you turn on the extensions but it doesn't seem to save my settings. It works for that session but as soon as you close Safari and reopen it they go back to the default order.
It saves your order, as long as you don't force close the app, or clear history and website data. You can close the app (not force close!) for minutes, and your order will still be there.

runner945

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound insensitive but, after 4 iPads and more than one upgrade, why did you choose to update to IOS 8 right away? With the servers jammed with people updating in the 1st week or so theirs bound to more problems than after the dust settles. That and its kinda nice to read reviews from other members experiences to make the decision. IMO.
I don't think you sound incentive. My point is, Apple did not used to have problems with upgrades. Like I said. I expect this from Microsoft, not Apple. I'm highly disappointed. They should at least let you go back to a previous version if you are not happy with an upgrade. My favorite app was Google Currents. Now it doesn't work. It figures, since Google and Apple are not the best of friends. Guess I will have to use my Android phone for what IOS 8 messed up!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Every single iPad upgrade has had problems.

In reality, most people upgrading don't see these problems, or don't notice them. But if you hang out on support forums, each upgrade comes with a huge spike in posts about problems; usually the same problems each time: battery, glitches, slowdowns.

You might go through three upgrades with no issues, and then get the upgrade from hell.

Many issues are temporary. Some so temporary that they sort themselves after a few days. When a new OS is installed it's often busy re-indexting and cleaning up stuff for the first several hours to a day. That's a lot of over head. A reset also helps.

This is the reality of computers today. Everything is so complex that it is impossible to get 100% reliability, especially with something as intrinsically risky as a major software upgrade.

So far this year, it has been relatively quite. iOS 7 was a nightmare of problems and complaints; mostly because a lot of people upgraded immediately, and with no idea how radical the changes would be.

This year has been quieter so far. I suspect it's because a lot of people are opting to wait for the first point update; or at least until they've heard how it's going for everyone else.

Android suffers the same early adopter issues; complicated by the fact that you might be working through several layers of changes instead of one, if you're not getting a pure Android/Nexus device. It's not worse, or not much worse, but it's not any better. At least not on the upgrade quality.

Android does avoid the 1st day server crush problems. But that's because they roll out updates over a period of time. You may wait up to a week for an update to become available on your device; while having to listen tot he smug 'I got mine' posts. :)

I have a Nexus 7, so I can keep up on what's going on in the Android world; so I have at least a casual familiarity with both sides.

Last edited:

cherokee180c

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think you sound incentive. My point is, Apple did not used to have problems with upgrades. Like I said. I expect this from Microsoft, not Apple. I'm highly disappointed. They should at least let you go back to a previous version if you are not happy with an upgrade. My favorite app was Google Currents. Now it doesn't work. It figures, since Google and Apple are not the best of friends. Guess I will have to use my Android phone for what IOS 8 messed up!

Google is responsible for making sure Currents works not Apple. Google has had months of iOS8 beta available and could have gotten their app working properly if it was a priority, which it obviously wasn't. Google has dropped the ball on a ton of stuff like Google Newstand on iOS, Google Reader, etc. your just jumping from the frying pan into the fire IMHO. I sympathize with your problems, but being a day one upgrader and expecting no issues is just setting yourself up for a rough life. Just watch how many apps that have just been upgraded are further tweaked in the next few weeks to squash all the bugs.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, when it comes to apps, Google treats iOS 8 pretty well. Most of the main services get ported fast, and the apps are good. YouTube, Maps, Chrome, all very well done and consistently updated.

However, Google has a ton of secondary semi-experimental apps and services. Those get tweaked a lot on Android, but rarely see the light of day on iOS. These services are also the ones that tend to go to the chopping block when Google decides it's time to 'focus'.

Update: I just visited the Current's page on the App Store. Google says they are aware of the problem and are promising to fix it as soon as possible. So, this is an oversight on their part, not the neglect I was implying. Sorry, Google.

We should always remember that at it's core, Google is about advertising. Android was/is mostly a way of insuring they are never dependent on Apple or mobile revenue. However, as long as Apple remains a significant, and profitable portion of the market, Google has every incentive to provide quality apps and services. And, mostly, they do.

OP
G

Goobs10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right after my original glowing review, I am now noticing issues. Firstly the wi-fi connection has become dodgy and it's not my internet as my phone is fine. I have had to reset the network settings. More worrying is that the iPad is not charging. I put it in the charger 2 hrs ago when it was on 55%. I have just come back to it and it is still on 55%! And yes the switch is on and the little lightning symbol is showing indicating that it is charging.

doon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right after my original glowing review, I am now noticing issues. Firstly the wi-fi connection has become dodgy and it's not my internet as my phone is fine. I have had to reset the network settings. More worrying is that the iPad is not charging. I put it in the charger 2 hrs ago when it was on 55%. I have just come back to it and it is still on 55%! And yes the switch is on and the little lightning symbol is showing indicating that it is charging.
I'm not alone then.
Mine won't charge either. I'm also getting a charger not certified message. Updated on Friday and the issue started a few hours ago. Like yours the iPad says it is charging, but shows no sign of the % increasing.
It could be that my charger or cable has gone faulty, but it's one hell of a coincidence if that is the case.
I'm contemplating a factory reset, but I will leave it on charge overnight to see what happens first. I'll check for dirt on the plug and socket too.

I will update if I make any progress.

No issues with wi-fi....yet!

Update
It didn't charge overnight. I have stumbled across a work around though.

If I plug the charging cable in with the iPad awake it won't charge despite the charge indicator showing and I get "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPad"

If I put it to sleep with the power button and then plug in the charger I get no messages and it charges as it should.

I need to get something non conductive to clean out the charging port to see if that is my issue, but at this point I suspect IOS8 is the culprit.

Last edited:

Cancuino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are the reading lists working for you?. I can't make them work of offline.

OP
G

Goobs10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a reset on mine and now it seems to be charging ok.

Most reactions

Latest posts