What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 worth the update?

fredyjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have problems when i swipe left or right between app. it takes some time loading for example when i moved from safari to settings it took 1-2 seconds loading. I have a connector kit 5 in 1 and it can work well at os 4.3.5 but after i upgrade my ipad2 to ios 5, when i connected to my ipad , it said "ipad not supported"
Do anyone have the same problems?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dislike that you can't put Newsstand in a folder as well. I don't need it taking up space on my home screen. iBooks can be added to a folder, why not Newsstand?

Here's the link if you want to file a "bug report" (I think I will)...

Apple - iPad - Feedback

You cannot. Apple designed it to be a folder. Also, folders cannot be put into another folder unless ....

Press on any app (not Newsstand) for a few seconds. This should make all of the apps shaking.

Move one app into another. You’ve now created a folder.

This next step takes some time to do, quickly as the animation of the second app is getting put into the folder is happening, grab the Newsstand app and put into that folder. You must do it as the new folder is being built.

Once it is in the folder do not click on it ... It will hang.

HTHs

Mike

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Yes, I find Newsstand useless. I also never use Game Center. So I put both in a folder that I named Apple crap, lol.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am looking forward to my magazines and newspapers updating to newsstand. Then I'll be able to get rid of several folders I've created for them.

carl 11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you have a 2, (I have an IPAD 1), I guess, sure why not....me? I am old news now. ..... if you want cloud you must have WIN 5 or Vista for PC folks, among other things , uhm no thank you, I run my own XP, thanx for not thinking about a ton of folks who don’t want to upgrade to enrich Gates for very little value and a ton of headaches…..

oh and from a ipad 1 to the OS 5, your music interface experience will be totally different. They made a hash of it. The podcast interface is , well, a mess, you cannot even see into the podcast to look for guests or any internal information once you DL it TO the device, the 30 second rewind button is totally gone, the interface is TINY, the button replaced by a bar which is much more difficult to move ford or back , it takes you extra steps to get to music or podcasts, open up music the bar along the bottom says among other things- album, ok select it, all of your albums are on display…..see an album you want to play? Go ahead, touch it….nothing happens right?
Right…you have to get out of that screen and go to individual songs or artist, find the first song on the album and select it.I mean for god sakes...what? And did I say its TINY…..no color either, blah gray look as well.

...it took me years t get to the point where in I stopped upgrading my windows platforms, I was tired of being a beta tester for Bill Gates.....apple has gotten me there in record time. For a user of an ipad 1, my advice is read everything and most important put your hands on an IPAD with the new OS DLed and check it out yourself. The instruction booklet here, its a brief, surface look only.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Absolutely! It's a relief to have iCloud as a backup system. With the exception if only a few files, I was simply inconsistent about backing up files created on the iPad.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it is. Im loving the wifi sync for all media. No wires anymore. Yippee. Notifications is great, iMessage is perfect and I love playing with the keyboard split/docking. Need I go on? Love it!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IOS 5 deliberately made Ipad 1 obsolete - Thanks Apple!
My iPad 1 seems to be working perfectly fine with iOS 5 as well. ??? Of course there are a couple of bits that I'd like to be functional...multitasking gestures for example, but overall it's even more amazing than the day I bought it. :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you have a 2, (I have an IPAD 1), I guess, sure why not....me? I am old news now. ..... if you want cloud you must have WIN 5 or Vista for PC folks, among other things , uhm no thank you, I run my own XP, thanx for not thinking about a ton of folks who don’t want to upgrade to enrich Gates for very little value and a ton of headaches…..

oh and from a ipad 1 to the OS 5, your music interface experience will be totally different. They made a hash of it. The podcast interface is , well, a mess, you cannot even see into the podcast to look for guests or any internal information once you DL it TO the device, the 30 second rewind button is totally gone, the interface is TINY, the button replaced by a bar which is much more difficult to move ford or back , it takes you extra steps to get to music or podcasts, open up music the bar along the bottom says among other things- album, ok select it, all of your albums are on display…..see an album you want to play? Go ahead, touch it….nothing happens right?
Right…you have to get out of that screen and go to individual songs or artist, find the first song on the album and select it.I mean for god sakes...what? And did I say its TINY…..no color either, blah gray look as well.

...it took me years t get to the point where in I stopped upgrading my windows platforms, I was tired of being a beta tester for Bill Gates.....apple has gotten me there in record time. For a user of an ipad 1, my advice is read everything and most important put your hands on an IPAD with the new OS DLed and check it out yourself. The instruction booklet here, its a brief, surface look only.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf
Well, I guess change is hard for some folks. Personally I generally like change in the tech world because things are improving. I'd say I'm very happy with about 90% of the iOS 5 changes on my iPad.

I am in full agreement that the original iPod App was better than the new Music App that replaced it. That may be because I haven't mastered the Music App just yet, but after a couple of initial test drives of the new UI, I liked the iPod App better.

After the iOS 5 upgrade I found the Music App had some serious bugs. I'd touch one song and a different song played or worse, nothing would happen. It was also slow to respond. There was some album art missing as well. These things really concerned me. Here's what I did to resolve everything. I connected the iPad to my computer and in iTunes under "Music" I unchecked "Sync Music". I clicked on "Apply". This removed all of the music/playlists that I had on my iPad. I then disconnected my iPad and shut down iTunes. I then reconnected it and re-checked "Sync Music", putting all of the music back on my iPad (with about 30GB of music this took a little while of course). Everything worked as expected except the response time was still slow. I decided to reset the iPad. Held the home and power buttons for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appeared. Ta-dah! My Music App is as snappy as the iPod App was and everything's working flawlessly. Phew!

Should I have had to go through that? I don't think so...that's not my normal "it just works" Apple experience at all. However I'll cut them some slack...this time. As compared to Windows updates and upgrades of years past, finding drivers, tweaking the registry, putting up with massive updates that made my PC's slower and slower, crashing on a regular basis, no...still not a snow ball's chance I'd ever go back.

Still don't like the Music App UI as much, but I'll give it some time. :)

Other than that iOS 5 is working wonderfully on my iPad and iPhone 4 as well as iTunes 10.5 and Lion our Macs so I couldn't be happier with this upgrade. I feel badly for folks that don't like "change" but as for me...I enjoy learning new things, it keeps me young and I don't shout at the kids to get off of my lawn nearly as often! :D

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ha ha ha. Really funny Rich! I've found out that it doesn't have the play all button. Kaykaykay told me that one! Where is the shuffle? I liked that one. The little red line to move to a different section of song is way too small for me. I'm not really picky but small things do annoy. I'd also like to have cover art flow on here. The iPad would be gorgeous with that on. No lyrics either. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha ha ha. Really funny Rich! I've found out that it doesn't have the play all button. Kaykaykay told me that one! Where is the shuffle? I liked that one. The little red line to move to a different section of song is way too small for me. I'm not really picky but small things do annoy. I'd also like to have cover art flow on here. The iPad would be gorgeous with that on. No lyrics either. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Agree with all of your Music App observations. There's a thread to fuss about it here (which I see you've found):

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...hanges-they-did-ipod-app-ios5.html#post347101

Shuffle is still there, crossed arrows at the top to the right of the playback bar. White = off, black = on. It shuffles songs on an album in Album/Artist play and shuffles all songs in Playlist.

Apple's war on color controls has gone too far this time IMHO.

You can let Apple know about this or any other iPad likes and dislikes here (I have! :) ):

Apple iPad Feedback

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I guess change is hard for some folks. Personally I generally like change in the tech world because things are improving. I'd say I'm very happy with about 90% of the iOS 5 changes on my iPad.

I am in full agreement that the original iPod App was better than the new Music App that replaced it. That may be because I haven't mastered the Music App just yet, but after a couple of initial test drives of the new UI, I liked the iPod App better.

After the iOS 5 upgrade I found the Music App had some serious bugs. I'd touch one song and a different song played or worse, nothing would happen. It was also slow to respond. There was some album art missing as well. These things really concerned me. Here's what I did to resolve everything. I connected the iPad to my computer and in iTunes under "Music" I unchecked "Sync Music". I clicked on "Apply". This removed all of the music/playlists that I had on my iPad. I then disconnected my iPad and shut down iTunes. I then reconnected it and re-checked "Sync Music", putting all of the music back on my iPad (with about 30GB of music this took a little while of course). Everything worked as expected except the response time was still slow. I decided to reset the iPad. Held the home and power buttons for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appeared. Ta-dah! My Music App is as snappy as the iPod App was and everything's working flawlessly. Phew!

Should I have had to go through that? I don't think so...that's not my normal "it just works" Apple experience at all. However I'll cut them some slack...this time. As compared to Windows updates and upgrades of years past, finding drivers, tweaking the registry, putting up with massive updates that made my PC's slower and slower, crashing on a regular basis, no...still not a snow ball's chance I'd ever go back.

Still don't like the Music App UI as much, but I'll give it some time. :)

Other than that iOS 5 is working wonderfully on my iPad and iPhone 4 as well as iTunes 10.5 and Lion our Macs so I couldn't be happier with this upgrade. I feel badly for folks that don't like "change" but as for me...I enjoy learning new things, it keeps me young and I don't shout at the kids to get off of my lawn nearly as often! :D

Some great points there Rich, but some of us are still taking the "wait and see" approach with this. My main for reason for waiting is simply because I really like the way my unit is working with OS 4.3.5 on it and there isnt anything or any feature in OS5 that I personally consider a must-have. Its not so much fearing change, its more finding enough valid reasons or benefits that make going through the change worth it. ;) And, in fairness, there are people having a few sticky issues/dislikes with OS5.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some great points there Rich, but some of us are still taking the "wait and see" approach with this. My main for reason for waiting is simply because I really like the way my unit is working with OS 4.3.5 on it and there isnt anything or any feature in OS5 that I personally consider a must-have. Its not so much fearing change, its more finding enough valid reasons or benefits that make going through the change worth it. ;) And, in fairness, there are people having a few sticky issues/dislikes with OS5.
Oh, indeed, I get that. No harm in waiting at all. It can be the smart move. :thumbs: It's never moving that'll get you in trouble. :D

DUCBOS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ISO 5 is turning out to be crap. Is there a way to go back to the last version?
First sound goes out, then video goes, continuing crashes worse than windows ever.
Now my email will not send. Says will not authenticate server - any server

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ISO 5 is turning out to be crap. Is there a way to go back to the last version?
First sound goes out, then video goes, continuing crashes worse than windows ever.
Now my email will not send. Says will not authenticate server - any server
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Search box (at the top-left of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

Sorry to hear about your poor experience with the iOS 5 upgrade. Unfortunately you cannot revert to an older iOS version.

You may want to try restarting or resetting your iPad, that's resolved problems for a number of folks.
  • Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.
  • Reset the iPad: If restarting the iPad didn't work then you will need to reset the iPad. You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process will take longer than the restart.
With respect to Mail, check your SSL and Authentication settings to see if they are correct:
  1. Settings App
  2. Mail, Contacts, Calendar
  3. Tap your email account
  4. Account
  5. Advanced
  6. Use SSL (if "On" turn "Off" or if "Off, turn "On")
  7. Authentication (Set as appropriate, generally to use Password)
If that doesn't work sometimes deleting and setting up the email account again will work.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.

Welcome again and enjoy!

Last edited:

DUCBOS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded a week ago to iSO 5 on my iPad. It worked fine until yesterday. I've rebooted several times. That fixed the sound problem. Later a reboot fixed the video. The mail issue I cannot solve. There is no reason for it. Nothing has been changed from when it worked correctly yesterday. It receives email, but will not recognize any email server I send out. Even replays. I guess I'll have to move to android phone.

Most reactions

Latest posts