What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS5 beta 4 - with OTA Update

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple released the 4th beta of IOS5 tonight to developers...

The most exciting thing? Over The Air (OTA) updates baby, yeah!

When checking for updates tonight on my iPad1 with 5.0b3, I received a notification that beta 4 was available. I was able to choose to install it, and so the brave new world is here! :)

c2fc7581.jpg

Once the download is complete, a rather lengthy seconday process takes place. I'm not sure what it does. Maybe extract the firmware?

453db937.jpg

Interestingly, you cant apply the upgrade if you have less than 50% battery or are not connected to the mains (a perfectly sensible precaution by Apple)

351c2b14.jpg

And yes, it does check your blobs with Apple! LOL

eb00b71a.jpg

If it doesn't get blobs, you don't get the firmware installed :)

e26334b2.jpg

After that, it's pretty much business as usual. The iPad reboots and the traditional progress bar appears. You can't take screenies of this hence the lack of pictures. When the process is complete, you have IOS5 beta 4. All good. Now with WiFi Sync for Windows Users! Good Times! :D

The bad news? If you have the beta tethered IOS5 jailbreak installed the OTA update fails. Bad Times. :(
Still, we can't have everything, can we?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is so cool took a short time I am on wifi. So clean so fantastic. Amazing not to have to use the laptop and deal with time looking for files waiting for down load etc etc . You need to down load itunes 5 beta as well etc etc also backed up to laptop on the fly via wifi before it did the upgrade now that is what I call simple and it just works.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And worth noting that the full IOS5 IPSW for iPad1 is 785MB whereas the OTA update was less than 200MB! Awesome!

Bhm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I start check for update it says "iOS 5 your software is up to date"I have iOS 5 beta 3 on my iPod touch 4G
Please help me

edlewis11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bhm said:
When I start check for update it says "iOS 5 your software is up to date"I have iOS 5 beta 3 on my iPod touch 4G
Please help me

You need the newest iTunes

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
Bhm said:
Please help me

You need the newest iTunes

Check with the developer who set you up. And he will advise you you need to have beta 4 installed before you can go to over the air beta 5

OTA updates do not need any iTunes and the update is from b3 to b4.
No idea why someone on b3 can't see the OTA update to b4 but these 2 suggestions are not the answer.

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's pretty awesome! I can't wait to install iOS 5.1 [OVER THE pleeeeep AIR!] I'm really excited. :)
Hopefully, the iPhone Dev Team will find a way to downgrade OTA too. That'd be great. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts