What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 First Impressions

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overall, it is an improvement though there is a few things I don't like:

1. The new functionality of the photos app...can create albums but can't move photos between them. If you save a pic from email it goes to saved photos as before. You can select it and if you create a new album with it it goes to the new album but stays in saved photos as well. This is unacceptable. Apple dropped the ball on this feature. The two things they did improve in the photos app that work are being able to re-arrange the albums in the order you want and they improved scrolling speed when you have LOTS of albums like I do. The should have just copied the functionality of the Photoalbums+ tweak in cydia and added the re-arranging function to it.

2. The music app. My main complaint here is making the now playing text too light on the background and the album art too small. I use my iPad in my car daily connected to my stereo, as I made a custom dash mount for it and this really makes it hard to see. Album art, I could live without, but would love to at least see the the now playing arrow or whatever you want to call it that is in the song list automatically jump to show which song is playing, especially when using shuffle so that the current song playing always shows close to the middle of the list.

3. They should have included the weather widget for notification center. Is there a cydia tweak for this?

Other than that, it's been a pretty positive experience so far....will be ever better once all the jailbreak tweaks get updated.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 5 seems ok. Not the massive upgrade apple were raving about. We don't have gestures on iPad one and I was looking forward to that.

Things like news stand could have just been a downloadable app. iMessage is the best thing about the whole update. And let's be honest that could have been a downloadable app too lol.

I think apple have let themselves down a bit with this update. They hyped it up and to be honest it's just average. Half the stuff it can do now android could do before.

sent from iPad

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By notification center, do you just mean what shows up when you swipe down from the top bar? Because I love it, maybe more than Android's. It's nicer looking.

While I love the albums thing on the photo app, I have to agree I'm underwhelmed with it in the end... Because when I move pics into an album (you can't move pics into albums synced from your computer, I learned) they still stay in Camera Roll... Kind of annoying.

I do like iMessage, having only an iPad and not an iPhone yet. My mom has an iPhone and because my android phone sucks, I like being able to use my iPad to text her (and other people) since she's one of those moms that even at 26 wants her daughter to text her to tell her she got home okay :)

Overall iOS 5 is smoother. I don't like that you can't delete Newsstand because the only digital subscription I might get will just go in iBooks because it's a PDF. But I do like the smoothness, the notifications on the lock screen, the notification bar, and iMessage. I'm glad I upgraded. I also got lucky and lost no apps... Only thing I lost is the cover art on books I synced from iTunes that had been on an external hard drive.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Overall, I'm happy. The update gave me a few problems but on the first day, I didn't expect much. My ipod touch updated much faster.
One thing that is odd is that while I was updating, I was connected to my PC the whole time. When I started the update, my battery was showing 71% but hours later when completed, it showed a full charge. This morning it's only down to 90% so my question is, does the new OS allow charging via USB now? I can't see where that's mentioned anywhere.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overall, I'm happy. The update gave me a few problems but on the first day, I didn't expect much. My ipod touch updated much faster.
One thing that is odd is that while I was updating, I was connected to my PC the whole time. When I started the update, my battery was showing 71% but hours later when completed, it showed a full charge. This morning it's only down to 90% so my question is, does the new OS allow charging via USB now? I can't see where that's mentioned anywhere.
Whenever my iPad was plugged into my computer before, it'd slightly drain. But you're right- I had my iPad plugged in for hours while I kept attempting to download and update iOS 5 and when it was done it was also on a full charge. Very interesting and intriguing.

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by PCUK
A total rip-off for Ipad 1. They've made it seem like an obsolete old slug without the gestures compared with 2 .
Cynical marketing ploy?
If you had the gestures via Xcode you will miss them terribly as I do.
Shame on you Apple!

Maybe you should have waited for reviews before you updated. Sorry you don't like it!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, stupid of me to trust Apple not to rip off everyone with Ipad1!!!

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I truly enjoy the upgrade and glad that I was able to overcome most of the challenges and now i operate the world most smooth IOS ever. With every firmware up date comes changes ( some good and some soon to be better) thus if you consider change as difficult then IOS 5 upgrade should not be your target. Just remember that Apple moves quickly and by waiting too long you can miss a lot of great features such as: iMessage, Cloud services, No more PC to connect, Finding friends, Cards, Safari tabbing, notification center, using the volume control to click for a picture ( iPhone 4 only) .........and the other 200 new features.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I mean, in Apple's defense, they didn't have to even give iPad 2's or iPhone 4's iOS 5. I have an Android phone and I got an upgrade about 9 months after most other phones got it, and even though my phone has only been out a year, I'm two Android OS's behind. So the fact that original iPads got iOS 5 is really nice, in my opinion.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hmm,well i didn't lose anything,love the gestures and I'm sure i will find many more useful features,just need iCloud backup to work now,maybe I'm easy to please but well..........i like it. edit-and as someone just said,it was free!!

Last edited:

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I lost the cover art for my iBooks from my external harddrive. Kind of annoying.

Also, what are the gestures everyone's taking about minus the 4 fingers to zoom thing? Anyone wanna tell me? :)

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I lost the cover art for my iBooks from my external harddrive. Kind of annoying.

Also, what are the gestures everyone's taking about minus the 4 fingers to zoom thing? Anyone wanna tell me? :)
with 4 or 5 fingers u can swipe thro screens left n right like in lion,u can swipe down for notifications and swipe up to reveal task bar

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
poisonivy said:
hmm,well i didn't lose anything,love the gestures and I'm sure i will find many more useful features,just need iCloud backup to work now,maybe I'm easy to please but well..........i like it. edit-and as someone just said,it was free!!

Well said I think it will be great. Relax and enjoy. In a month u will all love it lol

Most reactions

Latest posts