What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS5 First Impressions

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They definitely need to fix the issue of not being able to copy photos to synced albums and removing picsnfrom saved photos when moved to any album.

cogboot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I am reading here I understand that those with iPad 1 should avoid upgrading to iOS 5 and should (for the time being) stick to the previous operating (4.3.whatever...) system. Is that correct?

C

quinconces

iPF Noob
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
I think I'll stick to my plan and wait out this upgrade for a little while. Im very happy with the way my 4.3.5 iPad2 works. I do like some of the features in iOS5 but there isnt anything I must have at this point.

I think this says it all ?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

bossy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A bit emperors new clothes I think. Hopefully it will all prove to justify the hype. The iCloud thing in particular seems rather underwhelming but fortunately I like my iPad anyway.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love the new browser tabs.

My biggest disappointment, though, is that I had just ordered an Apple TV to get mirriring---pnly to find out only now that it won't work on my iPad1.

stillestund

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like some features, but the tapped browsing in safari, as mentioned earlier in this thread, annoys me too. Has anyone a tip on how to go back to the other way?
i also hoped that there would be more android "widget like" things, although I knew that wasn't the case...

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
with 4 or 5 fingers u can swipe thro screens left n right like in lion,u can swipe down for notifications and swipe up to reveal task bar
I don't have a Mac so I don't know what "like in lion" refers to. :D But I did know the swipe down thing. I did not know the "swipe up" however. Must go check this out.

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Andyvalver said:
iOS 5 seems ok. Not the massive upgrade apple were raving about. We don't have gestures on iPad one and I was looking forward to that.

Things like news stand could have just been a downloadable app. iMessage is the best thing about the whole update. And let's be honest that could have been a downloadable app too lol.

I think apple have let themselves down a bit with this update. They hyped it up and to be honest it's just average. Half the stuff it can do now android could do before.

sent from iPad

The fact that I don't have to sync with iTunes anymore is enough for me!!! Totally worth it!! The rest is just icing!
Annette

bfready

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For anyone still on the fence about upgrading their iPad 1 (I have a 16gb wifi only original iPad):

I noticed it acted very sluggish at first. Flipboard would sometimes take up to 10 seconds to register a "flip" of a page, webpages would scroll choppy (almost as bad as the android browser), search screen would pause when scroll to and from it, etc...

After I reset it, it returned to its normal speed. I saw atleast one post about how its sluggish on the original iPad. Resetting gets rid of this problem.

I never had the multitasking gestures, but was really looking forward to it. I wish they would have enabled it for the original iPad...

Notifications pane is pretty useful for reading emails while you're in an app. I found it useful if you like playing time-management type games, because it will show up in the notification bar when items are complete.

Safari 2.0 works pretty good. You don't get the checker-boarding while scrolling. I did notice it freaked out when I had an embedded video playing in one tab and clicked on the other tab with more videos. I don't remember if this was before the reset or not....

bfready

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anmanwar said:
The fact that I don't have to sync with iTunes anymore is enough for me!!! Totally worth it!! The rest is just icing!
Annette

The only way I can get the wireless sync to iTunes to work is to plug it into into my iMac which kind of defeats the object?? it doesn't work if its plugged into the mains like it should do.

I have turned off iCloud back up as 5GB was barely enough for my back up for some strange reason, would that stop the wireless sync? I prefer to have my backup on my iMac.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

taft1958

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The mirroring feature is the one I most excitedly waiting for. It works great! I'm still learning the remaining 200+ new features. I discovered that the AppleTV 4.4 software update was release at the same time IOS 5 was released. The update is required to use IOS 5 mirroring. I don't recall seeing that anywhere in the release notes.

Khenic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on the iPad 2 and I love the iOS 5 update. My only complaint is Newstand. I don't see myself using this feature at all and now I'm stuck with an app/icon that does nothing for me. I'd appreciate it if Apple would allow users to toggle this feature on/off.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just went deeper and deeper into iCloud settings an discovered the backup settings. It has EVERTHING turned on for backup. This is why my backup was more than 5 mg. you can turn off backing up useful apps that you change everyday or rarely use - like weather or a level or calculator or newspapers that you can't save, etc. this brings the backup down to size.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have a Mac so I don't know what "like in lion" refers to. :D But I did know the swipe down thing. I did not know the "swipe up" however. Must go check this out.
Dont forget the left n right swipes.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Iv been playing all night with my ipad2 and im really loving ios5,for those who are dissapointed keep exploring it,im finding different things all the time,also u can download a free ipad guide for os5 in ibooks,very useful.

Most reactions

Latest posts