What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS upgrade and data lost

pccy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
  • Upgraded to newest IOS
  • After upgrade all data gone (I should have backed-up before upgrading)
  • No backup at all on iTunes or iCloud
Tried iExplorer, Tennorshare iPad data recovery and Dr. Fone but none of them are able to recover any files. Are there any other, I should try?

Any other way to recover photos/data stored on the iPad hard-drive? Data is only gone, once it is overwritten or am I wrong? Is my data permanently gone?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[*]Upgraded to newest IOS
[*]After upgrade all data gone (I should have backed-up before upgrading)
[*]No backup at all on iTunes or iCloud

Tried iExplorer, Tennorshare iPad data recovery and Dr. Fone but none of them are able to recover any files. Are there any other, I should try?

Any other way to recover photos/data stored on the iPad hard-drive? Data is only gone, once it is overwritten or am I wrong? Is my data permanently gone?

I'm afraid that without a backup of your iPad, all your data is permanently lost. An iPad does not have the PC equivalent of a trash bin, so anything that is deleted is permanently gone.

OP
P

pccy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the PC, you can generally recover data even after hard-drive format if the data has not been overwritten because the bits and bytes are still there, does it not work the same on the iPad? (sometimes on the PC, you can recover data even after data has been overwritten!) If not, what makes the iPad hard-drive different from a PC hard-drive?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the PC, you can generally recover data even after hard-drive format if the data has not been overwritten because the bits and bytes are still there, does it not work the same on the iPad? (sometimes on the PC, you can recover data even after data has been overwritten!) If not, what makes the iPad hard-drive different from a PC hard-drive?

You stated that you have no backup for your iPad. The iPad does not have a hard drive. iPads use flash storage. Once deleted, iPad data is beyond recovery, unless you have a backup stored on your computer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) First, the iPad does not have a mechanical 'hard drive', but solid state 'flash memory', like USB drives. Second, files/photos can be recovered from flash cards if the data has not been overwritten (so same principle as a 'hard drive'); however, the flash card has to be 'mounted' so recovery software can attempt finding 'deleted' files. Now, I've not done this process but just google 'flash memory recovery' and/or 'iPad flash memory recovery' for plenty of hits - and hopefully someone will come along w/ experience in this area; BUT, I believe you are out of luck - sorry.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
haha, my ipad is also broken

Hi Babeco - welcome to the forum! :) There is already PLENTY of information here, so you might want to do some searching; and if you do not find a solution to your problem, then start a new thread in the appropriate forum and explain your issues w/ the iPad - good luck!

Most reactions