What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEWBIE DYING/HELP!!: Ipad 3 stuck in endless recovery loop/ DATA AT RISK.

athreyaindyan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have ipad3+5.1.1. Yesterday while browsing it went into recovery mode on its own.

1. I tried DFU (Redsn0w 09.b2) and recovery mode but it is NOT getting out of recovery mode at all.
2. I tried Tinyumbrella 5.11, Recboot 2.1 doesnt work.

Have tons of data NOT backed up. Dont want to lose it..please help me. Its gone into an endless recovery mode loop.

it is not jailbroken. Latest backup NOT on icloud.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your problem but also confused as I'm not sure why the references to Redsnow and Tinyumbrella are even in your post. There is no jailbreak yet for the new iPad and you state that it isn't jail broken so is there something that we should know about Redsnow and your new iPad that might have possibly caused your lock up issue?

At this point all I can suggest is allowing the battery to drain and hopefully that will break the recovery loop that you are seeing but there is a very strong chance that you will end up having to restore and restore from backup which means that you will lose whatever new data you have entered since your last backup. Yes I see that it is a lot but I don't know of anything else past DFU mode.

Good luck!

OP
A

athreyaindyan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your problem but also confused as I'm not sure why the references to Redsnow and Tinyumbrella are even in your post. There is no jailbreak yet for the new iPad and you state that it isn't jail broken so is there something that we should know about Redsnow and your new iPad that might have possibly caused your lock up issue?

At this point all I can suggest is allowing the battery to drain and hopefully that will break the recovery loop that you are seeing but there is a very strong chance that you will end up having to restore and restore from backup which means that you will lose whatever new data you have entered since your last backup. Yes I see that it is a lot but I don't know of anything else past DFU mode.

Good luck!

thanks for your reply. I dont follow. I was told to try TU and Redsnow by a local techie. Can these be only used when the ipad is jailbroken? Mine is not.

Should i let in drain while in DFU mode or go to recovery mode and let it drain from there? thanks again

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not sure which would be better. Have you tried just the basic reset? While the iPad is on press and hold both the power button and the home button for 10-15 seconds until you see the Apple.

OP
A

athreyaindyan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes that was the first thing i did. thats how it ended up in recovery mode i think.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've never dealt with this before so just guessing here... But if I was worried about losing a lot of data I would probably try several of those resets back to back to see if it would break free and then if not I would have to allow the battery to drain. Be sure and press the power button for about 10-15 seconds about it has shut completely off to discharge any additional power still in the unit before plugging it back into the charger.

OP
A

athreyaindyan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i press + hold power+ home for 10 seconds it goes out and comes back on to recovery mode and then goes out again. does NOT come back on after that even if i am still holding both buttons. so back to back reset not hapenning

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Scared of that...Another option... How close is the nearest Apple store to you? If you have a lot of info you don't wanna lose it maybe worth your time to ride to the Apple store as they may have a way to get this accomplished for you somehow.

OP
A

athreyaindyan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so u didnt answer the first question. can tinyumbrella or redsn0w only be used in jailbroken devices for recovery?

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not positive as I'm no expert but to my knowledge they are both for jail broken devices. Redsnow is usually what you jailbreak with and Tiny umbrella is a place online where some of your iPad's code is stored so that you don't lose your jailbreaking ability. It ends up getting stored in Cydia. I know I am not wording this correctly as I am going from memory of about 18 months ago.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you explain what you mean by "recovery mode"? Is the iPad displaying the cord and iTunes symbol that requires you to connect to iTunes? Does it stay on the winter apple logo? Is there any way you can take a picture of your iPad in its current state?

I ask this because I have not seen an iPad not respond to the reset option of holding the Home and sleep buttons until the Apple logo shows. The only time is usually because the iPad has hardware problems. In addition, we may have a misunderstanding of terms. So, we need a better description of what is going on with the iPad.

Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
A

athreyaindyan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
essentially everything has not been backedup for one month. But major documents downloaded for my Phd are in three apps: Notability + Good notes + Penultimate...if i can ever recover just these i would be happy.

OP
A

athreyaindyan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its perpetually at the itunes blue logo + chord. When i hold power + home together it brings up white apple logo then again goes back to itunes blue logo + chord.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you explain what you mean by "recovery mode"? Is the iPad displaying the cord and iTunes symbol that requires you to connect to iTunes? Does it stay on the winter apple logo? Is there any way you can take a picture of your iPad in its current state?

I ask this because I have not seen an iPad not respond to the reset option of holding the Home and sleep buttons until the Apple logo shows. The only time is usually because the iPad has hardware problems. In addition, we may have a misunderstanding of terms. So, we need a better description of what is going on with the iPad.

Thanks.

Marilyn

You're right that the button presses usually don't help a unit stuck in recovery mode which this unit is. I was only doing the steps that I would attempt since the OP was concerned about losing data. Hey when it is hung up you gotta try all you know!

Anyways any luck with the battery drain?

Most reactions