What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS Notes app

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I add a new note to my Notes app, it asks me which note I want to post it to, but I see no way to select a folder for the new note. So after adding the note, I have to do a search for it to place it in the desired folder.

Is there an easier way to do this ...i.e. To determine which folder (like passwords, or sticky notes, etc) I can direct the initial post to?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Notes app posts to whatever default account you have set in Settings > Notes. I suppose if there is no default account, it might ask for the account. I've never encountered that.

There is no way to create a note in a folder. The note will always be created in the top level All folder for that account.

The easiest way to move notes later is to make sure you have Notes set to sort by Date Created, or Date Edited. That way recent notes are always at the top and easy to find. I prefer Date Edited, since that keeps notes I'm actively using near the top. You set this in Settings > Notes.

I really wish Apple would let you change the sort order in the Notes app instead of going to Settings, but that's how it is for now.

If you want more powerful note taking, arrainging, and searching options, there are many other note apps. I use Notes because my needs aren't all that complicated; also because I rather like the drawing mode and the way it saves links.

Note note: The note creation dialog gives you the option of creating a new note, or adding to the end of an already existing note. There is no folder option. I'd like this option as well, but have been unable to find one, even using thrid party apps. We'll have to wait for Apple to add the option, or use a different note app.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In my Notes if I want to add a Note to a specific folder (which I have previously added to the column to the left) I simply tap the folder and type. The note will then be stored in that folder.

OP
Parrori1

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Notes app posts to whatever default account you have set in Settings > Notes. I suppose if there is no default account, it might ask for the account. I've never encountered that.

There is no way to create a note in a folder. The note will always be created in the top level All folder for that account.

The easiest way to move notes later is to make sure you have Notes set to sort by Date Created, or Date Edited. That way recent notes are always at the top and easy to find. I prefer Date Edited, since that keeps notes I'm actively using near the top. You set this in Settings > Notes.

I really wish Apple would let you change the sort order in the Notes app instead of going to Settings, but that's how it is for now.

If you want more powerful note taking, arrainging, and searching options, there are many other note apps. I use Notes because my needs aren't all that complicated; also because I rather like the drawing mode and the way it saves links.

Note note: The note creation dialog gives you the option of creating a new note, or adding to the end of an already existing note. There is no folder option. I'd like this option as well, but have been unable to find one, even using thrid party apps. We'll have to wait for Apple to add the option, or use a different note app.

Thank you. Sounds like we are in agreement.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In my Notes if I want to add a Note to a specific folder (which I have previously added to the column to the left) I simply tap the folder and type. The note will then be stored in that folder.

Yes, that works fine if you have the Notes app open.

What I'm talking about, and what I think Parrori1 is asking about, is adding notes using the share sheet, a widget, or Siri. It's a convinient way to save a quick note without interupting you current task, but it is limited to leaving the note at the top level of your default account.

IMG_2219-2.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am sorry, I now see what you mean!

No need to be sorry. What you said was correct, and is easily overlooked if you've never created a note while viewing a folder.

And I mispoke about how I manage my notes. I said I moved the notes from the All iCloud folder. I do that sometimes, but more often I move them from the Notes folder (created by default). This is where new notes end up, unless you're creating them from inside a folder (as you described). As long as you take the time to clean out the Notes folder every so often, it's fairly easy to things organized.

In short, I throw almost everything in the Notes folder, then at least once a week I move and/or delete stuff from it. If you take more notes than I do (easily done) you would probalby have to do this more frequently.

It's similar to the GTD (Gettng Things Done) method that requires a reconciliation phase every so often, to make sure the garbage gets deleted and things stay organized.

Most reactions