What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple Note taking app - Few Requirements

JoshFink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know note taking apps have been discussed before. Out of those discussions I now have a list of about 10 apps to try out. I'm really just looking for a few things: Organization, Syncing and data entry.

Organization : I'd like the ability to have folders and then sub-folders within those folders. i.e.

Work
----- Customer A
----- Customer B
----- Customer C

If I can do sub sub folders that would be even better.. Not a requirement though

Data Entry : I'd like to be able to use a keyboard to enter in the data. I just received my new Zaggmate and I've excited to try it out.

Syncing : Basic syncing is great. I really would love to be able to work on it on the desktop and iPad as the need arises.

Searching is something that I just realized I needed.

Thanks for the help

Josh

Last edited:

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's just simple text notes you need I would recommend PlainText which does everything you want and keeps it all synchronised with your other devices through Dropbox.. I like the fact that I don't need to worry about which device I input on so I can pick up my iPhone or iPad or MBA to input to or add to a note and it's automatically on all the other devices.

Reaction score
Might I suggest Keeper ? It might be over kill but it's free unless you sign up for their storage service. I think it's $20 a year but you can try out the sub folder stuff before deciding to pay. I sync between my Ipad and Droid Incredible
As a Zagg mate user I can attest that it works like the onscreen keyboard, just physical instead.
Edit: it's on sale right now for $14.99 a year
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Last edited:
OP
J

JoshFink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's just simple text notes you need I would recommend PlainText which does everything you want and keeps it all synchronised with your other devices through Dropbox.. I like the fact that I don't need to worry about which device I input on so I can pick up my iPhone or iPad or MBA to input to or add to a note and it's automatically on all the other devices.

It looks like PlainText doesn't do sub folders. At least from what I can tell. Am I missing something?

I also added searching to requirements as I think since this is data will be entered by a keyboard searching shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Josh

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know note taking apps have been discussed before. Out of those discussions I now have a list of about 10 apps to try out. I'm really just looking for a few things: Organization, Syncing and data entry.

Organization : I'd like the ability to have folders and then sub-folders within those folders. i.e.

Work
----- Customer A
----- Customer B
----- Customer C

If I can do sub sub folders that would be even better.. Not a requirement though

Data Entry : I'd like to be able to use a keyboard to enter in the data. I just received my new Zaggmate and I've excited to try it out.

Syncing : Basic syncing is great. I really would love to be able to work on it on the desktop and iPad as the need arises.

Thanks for the help

Josh

At the risk of continuing to sound like a shill for Goodreader ... that's the app I'd recommend. It'll do sub-folders all day long and you'll have the ability to move documents around within each folder.

For the heck of it, I put a folder in a folder in a folder (3 levels) - and Goodreader wasn't even breathing hard. :p

Plus, Goodreader will accept any files for storage, even files it cannot open/read. For example, I downloaded an .epub (e-book) file from my Dropbox (and put it into the deeply nested folder I created in the paragraph above). No problems, downloaded right away (And I could move that file anywhere within the Goodreader folder system).

I use Goodreader to bring stuff out of Dropbox all the time and for my local file system. YMMV of course, but it's an option.

Marilyn

OP
J

JoshFink

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Work
----- Customer A
----- Customer B
----- Customer C

Thanks for the help

Josh

At the risk of continuing to sound like a shill for Goodreader ... that's the app I'd recommend. It'll do sub-folders all day long and you'll have the ability to move documents around within each folder.

For the heck of it, I put a folder in a folder in a folder (3 levels) - and Goodreader wasn't even breathing hard. :p

Plus, Goodreader will accept any files for storage, even files it cannot open/read. For example, I downloaded an .epub (e-book) file from my Dropbox (and put it into the deeply nested folder I created in the paragraph above). No problems, downloaded right away (And I could move that file anywhere within the Goodreader folder system).

I use Goodreader to bring stuff out of Dropbox all the time and for my local file system. YMMV of course, but it's an option.

Marilyn

I also thought Good Reader was about PDF's and other such things and that was it's primary focus?

I'll do some more looking into GoodReader. Honestly, it didn't even make the cut in other reviews I've seen.. I'll check it out again.

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Goodreader will open/read Excel files, Word files, pictures (jpg, png, etc), mp3s, movies (that are compatible with the iPad), etc.

The only thing you can't do is edit the files - you can only read them. Goodreader can also annotate PDFs, which is what you probably remember reading about. It's very good at that.

I like it because it has an nice "Open In" function. So, if you need to edit a Word or Excel file [for example], you could open the file (from Goodreader) in Documents2Go, which is an app that will let you edit Word or Excel files.

IMNSHO, Goodreader is quite the versatile and handy app for viewing files. Not for editing, mind you - but for viewing. It sure makes a handy file cabinet...

Happy hunting!

Marilyn

P.S. I only mention Documents2Go as an example. Goodreader will also open other editing apps.

Last edited:

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like PlainText doesn't do sub folders. At least from what I can tell. Am I missing something?

I also added searching to requirements as I think since this is data will be entered by a keyboard searching shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Josh

I have folders nested several deep on my PlainText and it has a search window at the top of the folders list. Just click on the New Folder icon at the bottom to create a sub-folder. Doesn't seem to be a limit of how deep you can nest them.

Re. GoodReader recommendations, the hint is in the name. It's a reader not a note taking tool.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i've just immersed myself into 'Notes Plus' for my note taking app.

allows subfolder organisation just like you want. i love it for freehand fast notes taking, but it's also great for text typing too.

OP
J

JoshFink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow.. I've tried out a bunch of note taking apps in the last couple of days.

PlainText
GoodReader
UPad
Notability
Notes Plus
Evernote

One of the things I noticed is that a lot of these apps are writing first and then typing is an afterthought. It actually makes a lot of sense on how the iPad was made. However, that doesn't work for me. I'd like typing and then writing as a secondary approach.

The app that seems to work well for me, right now is Notability by Ginger Labs.

Thanks

Josh

OP
J

JoshFink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you found something that suits you :)

Well, after two weeks of Notability I've decided to switch to Evernote. I liked Notability a lot but the inability to send the notes via email was just not productive for me. After using Evernote I believe I like it just as much and with the cross platform support I think it will be a winner.

Josh

Most reactions