What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8.x Jailbreak Status

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Features that appear in a beta version are not guaranteed to make it to the final release version. A jailbreak patch, though, is virtually guaranteed to make it to the public release.

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was really hoping to be able to avoid two upgrades (7.06 --> 8.1 --> 8.11), but I guess better safe than sorry.

Upgraded/jailbroke a spare iPhone I had lying around this past weekend and that process went surprisingly smooth. :)

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess I best update my iPad to 8.1 while I still can. Sure would be nice if the Mac tool comes before 8.1.1

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even if it doesn't, you'll still be able to jailbreak if you don't update to iOS 8.1.1.

But at the same time there's still a level of risk involved with a closed window, i.e. if the coding is off by a tad, it can cause a bootloop. Because they didn't test it as extensively as the Windows version, there may be issues that come with it. A similar case would be p0sixspwn, which had a Windows release first, then a Mac release. It was easier with p0sixspwn since it was a userland jailbreak, so the margin for error is larger since a reboot/hard reset would wipe the caching of the data, so you could start over during testing, that and because you could downgrade around with blobs and tickets.

Hopefully it'll be a smooth transition from Windows to Mac.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, new to Apple, what benefits am I going to gain if I jailbreak my 4th gen iPad? And does it void my warranty? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to iPadForums. Please take the time to peruse the forum rules here and abide by them as you post.

The definition of a jailbreak is the ability to run commands as root. If you're familiar with rooting on Android, it's a similar concept. You're allowed to run unsigned code crafted by developers/hackers to modify your iOS experience in the form of tweaks, or it can be used to patch vulnerabilities that Apple may not have patched yet and are crucial to your data security/personal safety. Most jailbreakers are every day users, who rely on downloading packages or tweaks developed by developers/hackers to have a more centralized way of modifying the iOS.

Pretty much any way of modifying iOS for productivity, accessibility, etc, you can find it in Cydia, which is analogous to a jailbroken AppStore as some tweaks/packages are paid though the majority are free. Which packages you find useful is dependent on what you're looking to change on your device. One example would be if you wanted to be able to move your cursor while typing without having to tap on the location that you want to edit. You can download a tweak called SwipeSelection, where you can swipe left and right on your keyboard to move the cursor left and right, much like the arrow keys on a computer, etc.

Since iOS is based off of Mac OS in a way, and Mac OS is based off of Linux, if you jailbreak a device, you're able to have actual control over the OS if you're familiar with Linux, so it's similar to having Linux/Ubuntu on a mobile phone or tablet with a predefined UI.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A simple iTunes restore will revert you back to stock without a trace. To also answer a potential question, yes jailbreaking has the potential to brick your device. But that's only applicable if you're messing with the boot sequence or messing with radio firmware. If you follow the simple philosophy that you should not be "saving space" by deleting things in the file system manually, and that you don't perform anything without foreknowledge of what it does or what the outcome is. As long as you're following those golden rules, there won't be any risk involved in jailbreaking. Worse comes to worse if you follow those rules you'll get a boot loop from installing a bad tweak, you can just boot into no substrate mode (safe mode is an analogous way of terming it prior to iOS 7) and just remove it and you're good to go.

Most reactions

Latest posts