What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8.x Jailbreak Status

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The following information was taken from iDownloadBlog:

"Details have been a bit hard to gather when it comes to the status and progress of Pangu’s iOS 8 jailbreak. Since the initial release and subsequent bug fix update, all has been relatively quiet.

Today on Twitter, the team broke their silence to provide an update on the progress being made towards Cydia compatibility. There’s still a lot of work to be done until everything is finished, but it’s getting there.

TWITTER QUOTE:
We are working with @saurik to make Cydia stable asap. Also we are fixing bugs include Safari and iMessage problems. Please wait …
— PanguTeam (@PanguTeam) October 25, 2014

Although many have already installed a working version of Cydia, the Pangu team has acknowledged that there is still some work to be done to ensure optimum compatibility. Along with working with Saurik on Cydia updates, the team is also working hard to fix Messages and Safari bugs related to the jailbreak.

And that brings us to the current state of the jailbreak. It looks like a version of Pangu with Cydia built in could still be a little ways off, though, both parties are no doubt working hard on this. It also means that there’s no ETA for an OS X version of Pangu. That release still seems to be quite a ways off.

This rollout brings yet another question, or perhaps at least an observation:

Do you think that Pangu should have waited until more pieces were in place prior to releasing their jailbreak?

And now the observation:

Since this release is of Chinese origin, and most Chinese citizens don’t use Cydia, it’s obvious that compatibility with Cydia, and perhaps even OS X, just aren’t as high on the priority list of the Pangu team as it was for other jailbreak teams in the past.

Regardless, we are thankful for Pangu’s hard work, and we know that eventually everything will work as it always has. It’s just going to take time and patience."

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This was fine to quote here (in fact, just a link to the article would have been okay). So, thanks for it. It's a good overview of what is happening with the iOS 8 jailbreak. Oh, but I did take out all the links that were imbedded in the article. Kind of annoying...

And, I'll answer their question by saying that I wish PanGu had waited. I'm too much of a nervous Nellie to try the jailbreak tool as it is now. So, it's killing me to know that a jail break exists - but I can't (won't?) use it.

The good thing is, hopefully, that tweak developers will have ample time to get stuff working by the time a more friendly tool is released to the masses [like me].

Marilyn

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A tool for us Mac users would be nice as well. I don't own a PC. I refuse to support MS.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Starting to see some IOS tweak updates appearing in Cydia (I got three this morning)...tick tock. Thanks for the help with my post Marilyn.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A tool for us Mac users would be nice as well. I don't own a PC. I refuse to support MS.

A few known users on the /r/jailbreak community are pending on a fully working utility to be released before porting the utility on their own for Mac. In the meantime, if you don't want to purchase a copy of Windows, you can run a Virtual Machine with the new Windows 10 preview trial. Get that running, jailbreak, then wipe it down clean hoping that you won't have to re-jailbreak in the near future before a Mac utility is released.

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I'll wait for a Mac utility. Hope I don't regret that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I'll wait for a Mac utility. Hope I don't regret that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the whole ordeal with Substrate and Cydia are fixed with Pangu8 1.0.2 or 1.1.0 (whichever iteration they go with next), I'll take a look at it. If it's not that big a deal, I'll see if I can personally port it to Mac, which would probably take a few days after release if I've got the time and resources to do so. Don't quote me on it though.

EDIT: For a slightly less of a hassle alternative to the Windows 10 preview on virtual machine, you can try WineBottler here. (Mods, if the link is not approved, please feel free to remove it at your discretion) I've used WineBottler a few times for simple applications and it works just fine. If it doesn't work, it'll come up with a message prior to the jailbreak actually starting, so you won't have to be worried about bricks or interruptions midway. I don't have a Mac to test it on at the moment, but I'm about 80% sure it should be able to run Pangu8.

Last edited:
OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a good link (is news, so it's good).

The main caution I have here is - this still does not mean the Pangu jailbreak is ready to go.

I, personally, am still waiting for an update to the jailbreaking tool that will (1) install Cydia along with the jailbreak and (2) work right from the start with no extra fiddling.

So, while this makes it easier to jailbreak and gets us closer, I'm still going to wait.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To chime in as to the fundamental reason why the jailbreak is not feasible at the moment is the fact that standalone respring makeshift tweaks do not work consistently, meaning you need to have a computer with you at all times to respring on the occasion that your device reboots on its own or if you go into No Substrate mode, which breaks a lot of stock features as it always has in history. Considering that MobileTerminal is not working on iOS 8, users reporting boot loops on Pangu 0.2, and users experiencing disappearing icons after installing Cydia and Substrate, it's nowhere near as fine-tuned relatively speaking to Pangu7's initial release.

Last edited:

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Saurik has a substrate update available this morning and while this continues to become more of a reality I couldn't agree more that unless you really know what you are doing (not me) it's better to wait, especially in the light of all these changes which show just how much effort is being put into this. Any day now

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The hits just keep on coming, a new version of the Cydia installer is now available for your consumption

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And - from screenshots of the Pangu web site ... they are || this close to releasing the jailbreak tool WITH Cydia bundled in it.

I'm thinking we're getting real close, now! :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts