What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8.x Jailbreak Status

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I updated the first post to say that there now is an English version of the Pangu jailbreak tool - that will install Cydia. So, jailbreak away!

I'll repeat the caution I gave in the update: A lot of tweaks are not yet updated, so please exercise caution (and patience) when looking for your favorites.

Happy jailbreaking, everyone!

Marilyn

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Marilyn, most of my tweaks are still not ready so I will be waiting a little longer to pull the trigger. Good luck to all you early adopters. TTFN

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jailbreak done, waiting on tweak updates, it's been a long while for me, moved to the android wilderness... But now I'm back!

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This still doesn't work for me. After Pangu rebooted the device, I don't have a Cydia icon—Just a "pangunew" icon on my second screen with the default blank white icon. When I tapped it, a warning comes up asking me if I want to trust this. After I said yes, the screen just blanked, but the home button brings the screen back.

Last edited:

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It worked the second time. This time, I saw the "pangunew" icon disappear at the same time that a "final cleaning" message appeared. Now, after the reboot, I have both a Cydia Icon as well as a Pangu icon and Cydia launched without issues.

nickb67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Worked super easy for me, Ipad mini retina.
Backed up via Itunes, set up 8.1 as new phone,
then used Pangu.
then restored backup,
easier and faster than evaders.
Just most cydia tweaks arent available yet, so will be waiting for those now.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here's a compatibility list by @iAdam1n, a well known member of the Jailbreak community. He doesn't differentiate between iPhone/iPad support, but if you install it and it doesn't work, then just remove it. Worse comes to worse, you'll need to boot into No Substrate mode to remove it.

Just to reiterate the same precautions since iOS 6, make sure you keep/update/install OpenSSH on your device. If for any reason your device acts up, having the bare minimum of OpenSSH will exponentially increase your chances of recovery, particularly when the jailbroken iOS stops signing. Also note that again, Cydia purchasing is not possible as Saurik has to update the feature for support on the newer iOS and devices.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The last I've heard (via a tweet) was that the Pangu team was working on a Mac version. No ETA...

Marilyn

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about 8.1.1, I really don't want to JB yet because things like Auxo and Springtomize are not updated but if they start patching the exploits that would force me to go now and do without my favorites. I'm sure there will be news on the effects of the new beta soon.

Most reactions