What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8.2, where's the "add to favourites" gone

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Please can someone tell me I'm not going mad? At the top of the screen where you go to bookmark a website link, one of the options used to be "add to favourites" which would add the link with an icon to a "Favourites" page, which would then appear when you hit the "+" to add another tab.

This option no longer appears, although there is a "Favourites" still at the top of the bookmarks list next to a "star", which is empty, and I notice also a "Favourites" folder also at the top of the bookmarks list, where all those links from the missing page now appear.

Apologies if I'm not making this very clear, but, as I say, i just want to know I'm not going "ga-ga"!

Steve

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Please can someone tell me I'm not going mad? At the top of the screen where you go to bookmark a website link, one of the options used to be "add to favourites" which would add the link with an icon to a "Favourites" page, which would then appear when you hit the "+" to add another tab.

This option no longer appears, although there is a "Favourites" still at the top of the bookmarks list next to a "star", which is empty, and I notice also a "Favourites" folder also at the top of the bookmarks list, where all those links from the missing page now appear.

Apologies if I'm not making this very clear, but, as I say, i just want to know I'm not going "ga-ga"!

Steve

Simple, just tap on the box with the upward pointing arrow then tap on add bookmark.

237fb9fb1ec9bfa79d788ddc2e9af83a.jpg

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are some screenshots to illustrate how to save a favourite. The screenshots are from my iPhone but it works the same way on the iPad.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately, as I suspected, I'm not sure people understand quite what I'm trying to explain.
I'll try with a couple of pictures. I know you can put a web link in the "Favorites" folder, but there is also a "Favorites" at the top of the bookmarks list which has a "star" next to it. This is empty.
If i hit the "+" in Safari and put the cursor in the address bar, it brings up a blank square, which used to contain all the "Favorites" with icons that I'd added using the now missing "Add Favourite" option.
As an aside, I'm using an iPad Air2, but it's the same on my IPhone although you don't get the "+" to add another tab.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426779282.934704.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426779293.835043.jpg

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your favorites should still appear in Safari, on both devices.

Reset your iPad, restart it and force close Safari.

If these don't get them back, you'll have to restore from a backup which was saved before they disappeared.

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I appreciate all the answers I've had regarding this, but I'm now at a loss as to how I can explain myself. I've never lost the "Favorites" folder or any favourites.
Can someone with a iPad (any version) bring up their list of bookmarks and see if there's a "Favorites" at the top of the list with a star next to it (see my previous picture).
If there is, can someone explain why its there?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a Favorites folder with a star next to it:
image.jpg

This is a cropped version of Safari on my iPad.

Afaik Favorites was introduced with iOS 7.

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks J.A., is there anything in it?. My next question is, if it's empty, what was in it, and if it's not being used for anything now, have Apple just forgotten to remove it?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also bring up the favourites view by tapping on the search bar in Safari. It shows the same type of icons as would be seen in the view that J. A. posted.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What's in it is visible next to the bookmark bar (see my screenshot). These are the bookmarks I use the most, and I've added them to Favorites myself, using the method described above.

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's interesting, because that's exactly what's missing from mine.
If I have the bookmarks up and open a new tab with the + and put the cursor in the address bar this is what I get. Do you get the same blank box?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426785581.297579.jpg

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thats the problem, I used to do exactly the same as you, and my favorites were in the same place. They all seem to have migrated to a separate "Favorites" folder which has suddenly appeared leaving my "star folder" empty ( I notice you don't have a separate "Favorites"folder).
I don't ever remember creating the second favorites folder, which is even more confusing.

Sorry for going on about this, but my head hurts now [emoji13]

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Following on, if i try to edit my bookmark folders, the starred folder and History are 'greyed' out as expected, but the rogue Favorites folder is not editable but not 'greyed' out
Strange!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426786803.192373.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Following on, if i try to edit my bookmark folders, the starred folder and History are 'greyed' out as expected, but the rogue Favorites folder is not editable but not 'greyed' out
Strange!!
View attachment 63443
The same happens to me. Favorites and History are greyed out when I edit my bookmarks.
It seems you created an extra Favorites folder somehow, and saved the bookmarks there instead of the built in folder.

What is checkmarked in your settings (Safari - General - Favorites)?

Most reactions

Latest posts