What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 8.1.1 faster on older iPads now?

ipadmannyc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ars Technica has an article about 8.1.1 performance on A5 devices:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/1...and-ipad-2-a-little-faster-kind-of-sometimes/

I am on a 3rd gen iPad and running 8.1.1 and it's still slow and lags a lot! Here's the issues I am experiencing
in photo gallery you tap on a photo and it takes at least 5 seconds to bring the photo up
You tap on edit photo and it zooms in on the photo....then you tap again it zooms out..tap edit a 3rd time and it brings you to edit photo.
Safari is horribly slow. You bring up a previous tab and that tab must reload...and very slowly at that.
Apps that were fine and updated now to ios crash a lot. Radio.com is one of them...a few others.
everything just lags a lot...taps, swipes
Now in photo gallery if you bring up a photo..and wait at least 5 seconds you can swipe through photos Ok..but there's still intermittent lag..

I wish I never upgraded to 8...and I get apple wants to be able to take advantage of the new chips in their current ipads they should not have suggested that the ipad 3rd gen would be compatible...because honestly it's not. I am almost at the point where I dread using the ipad ....what was once crisp and fast and stable is now jerky and slow and laggy. i have 64 gig with about 1.5 gigs free.

I hope they can provide a way to downgrade for older ipad users because this is almost a joke. My gf bought a 20 dollar 7 inch tablet running an older android version and it loads pages quicker than safari does now. I will make a video to prove this.

Steve would never have let this happen if were alive today.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Manny, on my iPad3 photos open in under half a second, and I have none of your crashing problems. I think your 'Pad may need more room to breathe (note the precise computer terminology :) ). Try deleting around 5 GB of stuff and see if that helps.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agree with Lannyc. IOS 8, 8.1 and 8.1.1 problems with slow apps and hesitations (mainly sorted out in 8.1.1) really do need room to 'breathe'. I have deleted a lot of my old music and videos and now have no problems at all with 8.1.1 on my iPad 2. Also other posts have noted resets and allowing a few days to settle down, and I agree. Oh, and my battery usage seems much better. 6 hours use and the battery meter is still over 50%, but of course it depends on what you do. Reading books uses less battery power than surfing the Intenet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts