What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 6 compatible with iPad 2?

Unleashed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could do without facebook integration also haha it's ridiculous though I bought my iPad 2 brand new and full price in February the next month it was outdated by the iPad 3 and now there already being stingy on the updates. I have faith in apples products but I have to say I'm losing faith on apple.

thats why you never buy ios devices right before apple is about to release another..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you regularly check the news section of this forum you will see all the advance notices and rumours of upcoming iDevices.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to the OP if I may. If your iPad2 is still on an earlier version (4.3.2 for instance) and hasn't been updated (for whatever reason), will you need to do anything special to update to iOS6 or will it be done the same way as ones that have been updated continually along the way?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back to the OP if I may. If your iPad2 is still on an earlier version (4.3.2 for instance) and hasn't been updated (for whatever reason), will you need to do anything special to update to iOS6 or will it be done the same way as ones that have been updated continually along the way?

If your iPad is on a version of iOS that is prior to 5.x, you will have to connect it to iTunes and select restore to get the new iOS loaded to it.

Those that have iOS 5.x installed can choose to upgrade to iOS 6 via iTunes or may use the "over-the-air" (OTA) feature that was introduced with iOS 5. With this feature, you can go to the iPad's Settings and update right from the iPad (no computer/iTunes needed!).

But, again, that's only from iOS 5 and on. Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your iPad is on a version of iOS that is prior to 5.x, you will have to connect it to iTunes and select restore to get the new iOS loaded to it.

Those that have iOS 5.x installed can choose to upgrade to iOS 6 via iTunes or may use the "over-the-air" (OTA) feature that was introduced with iOS 5. With this feature, you can go to the iPad's Settings and update right from the iPad (no computer/iTunes needed!).

But, again, that's only from iOS 5 and on. Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn
It does clarify a bit, thanks Marilyn. The next question is what are the ramifications of doing a "restore"? Does that mean all my music/apps/info etc. would be wiped?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I think I misspoke. You don't "restore" - you do an upgrade. And, AFAIK, an upgrade does not remove your apps and data. Only the iOS is changed.

Although it never hurts to do a backup, just in case something happens...

So, yes, a restore does wipe the device (and then you'd put your most recent backup on the iPad), while an upgrade does not wipe the device.

Sorry that I got a little confused. As a "jail breaker," I normally don't do upgrades. I do restores (and put backups on).

Hope that helps. If I muddied the waters too much - please, holler back. :)

Marilyn

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I think I misspoke. You don't "restore" - you do an upgrade. And, AFAIK, an upgrade does not remove your apps and data. Only the iOS is changed.

Although it never hurts to do a backup, just in case something happens...

So, yes, a restore does wipe the device (and then you'd put your most recent backup on the iPad), while an upgrade does not wipe the device.

Sorry that I got a little confused. As a "jail breaker," I normally don't do upgrades. I do restores (and put backups on).

Hope that helps. If I muddied the waters too much - please, holler back. :)

Marilyn
Thank you again. I like this answer MUCH better.:)

boobaloo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my "2" just as the "3" was being sold. First bought one for the wife and in helping her set it up decided I wanted one, too. Well, that was an error. I thought I could integrate it into my Windows-Based LAN. It doesn't work that well for my uses. Bottom line....When the battery no longer holds a charge, I may see how well it handles a 7.62mm bullet at 100 yards.

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
boobaloo said:
I bought my "2" just as the "3" was being sold. First bought one for the wife and in helping her set it up decided I wanted one, too. Well, that was an error. I thought I could integrate it into my Windows-Based LAN. It doesn't work that well for my uses. Bottom line....When the battery no longer holds a charge, I may see how well it handles a 7.62mm bullet at 100 yards.

Il give you 10 British pound for it :)

Not sure what you want to do but if you don't have a wifi connection for yours then you can get an apple iPad adapter with an rj45 connector.
When set up properly over a wan you can do anything really, control iTunes from your living room, toilet or however to suit. I also use an app called teamviewer that lets me control my pc in full remote desktop mode from anywhere in the world.
I know it's hard to get apple to do anything that a normal pc would do, but the more you use it the more you should notice it can do almost anything a pc can do, and if it don't jailbreak it :)

gebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems iOS6 wasn't ready for iPad. I have a 2 and there's been lots of strange things since the update. Facebook has gone into black screen several times, and I've had to delete and reinstall to get it working. Can of course be that the apps didn't have time to b get ready, since loads of updates are running in.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
gebe said:
It seems iOS6 wasn't ready for iPad. I have a 2 and there's been lots of strange things since the update. Facebook has gone into black screen several times, and I've had to delete and reinstall to get it working. Can of course be that the apps didn't have time to b get ready, since loads of updates are running in.

There is always a rush of app updates following any major iOS release, it's not unique to the iOS 6 release.

Most reactions