What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6.1 Released !

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just connected my iPad 3 to the power supply and updated directly using Wi-Fi. If there is an issue doing it this way, surely Apple should/would advise?

Apple won't be likely to advise you that using the OTA process will prevent you from jailbreaking. They are not exactly our biggest supporters ;) This is the hacking section of the site and the advice is targeted at current or future jailbreakers.

Updating OTA generates a different type of APTicket, which is a component part of the SHSH Blobs which allow a firmware to be installed on your device. The exploits used on previous (and perhaps future) jailbreaks rely on having the full APTicket in place, not the different type generated by an OTA update. Therefore, anyone interested in jailbreaking should ensure they have a full APTicket in place by doing a full update / restore operation using iTunes.
The same is true for the certificate which is installed on a device when it leaves the factory, which is why some folks who tried to jailbreak their devices on 5.1.1 which had never been updated since being first turned on, ran into problems.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple won't be likely to advise you that using the OTA process will prevent you from jailbreaking. They are not exactly our biggest supporters ;) This is the hacking section of the site and the advice is targeted at current or future jailbreakers.

Updating OTA generates a different type of APTicket, which is a component part of the SHSH Blobs which allow a firmware to be installed on your device. The exploits used on previous (and perhaps future) jailbreaks rely on having the full APTicket in place, not the different type generated by an OTA update. Therefore, anyone interested in jailbreaking should ensure they have a full APTicket in place by doing a full update / restore operation using iTunes.
The same is true for the certificate which is installed on a device when it leaves the factory, which is why some folks who tried to jailbreak their devices on 5.1.1 which had never been updated since being first turned on, ran into problems.
Thanks for that I totally misunderstood as I have no interest in hacking.
Mike

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OneZeoN said:
sooooooooooo its ok to update when ipad is connected to itunes via cable??

If you're planning to jailbreak, that's the way to do it.

podbay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received the notice on my iPad this evening to that 6.1 was available, so I installed it. When the installation was finished, it always asks you to complete the additional steps, and asks for your Apple ID. As usual, it kept telling me my Apple ID was incorrect, so once again, I changed it, and it STILL told me it was incorrect. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone else know why it's happening? Talk about frustrating!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I received the notice on my iPad this evening to that 6.1 was available, so I installed it. When the installation was finished, it always asks you to complete the additional steps, and asks for your Apple ID. As usual, it kept telling me my Apple ID was incorrect, so once again, I changed it, and it STILL told me it was incorrect. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone else know why it's happening? Talk about frustrating!

I have come across this many many times over the years on the forum and all I can tell you that every single time it has been user error, most often not paying attention to the case sensitivity of their password, or correctly typing any "special" characters such as @, %, $, and !.

There is no bug known in any version of IOS which fails to accept a valid Apple ID and its valid associated password.

The fact that you are indicating this is a persistent problem for you would suggest there is something unusual about the password(s) you generate. Are you using any special characters in your password? Does your Apple ID have any unusual characters in it too?
Are you being caught out somehow by "auto capitalisation" of a first character? Do you have CAPS LOCK on either you PC or iPad?

NOTE - Please do not provide your full ID or Password in any response ;)

The other thing this might indicate is that you have someone else's apps on your device. If you share your PC with other people, you may have synced (deliberately or not) their apps onto the device. In this case it is asking you for THEIR password, not yours. It will however not tell you which ID the apps are linked to when it prompts for the password.
If you have changed your Apple ID over time, and still have apps purchased from an old ID, this would result in the same issue. You still need to know the old password associated with that ID.

Last edited:

Most reactions