What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6.1 Released !

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like Apple has just released iOS 6.1 to the public.

Stay tuned for updates regarding the impact that has on us jailbreakers. Resist the urge to install until you hear it confirmed as safe ;)

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@planetbeing has tweeted that the public release seems to be vulnerable to all the jailbreak exploits they are planning on using, so that is very good news.

It appears that those who want to, can at least prepare to update to 6.1. However, potential jailbreakers should note that any update to 6.1 must NOT use the OTA (over the air) method. Use the full iTunes update or restore operation (whichever suits your needs).

Personally, I'll be waiting until the JB is released since it will support the current public version of IOS (and therefore, there is no rush at this time).

Follow the rest of the jailbreak discussion here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/89458-official-ios6-jailbreak-status-thread.html

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
According to thomasjtsi at iphoneforums, the signing window for iOS 6.x.x is already closed. That was fast.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, like the last few releases, it was almost instantaneous. But no excuses! Everyone had plenty of time, and 6.0.x are going to be pretty useless in any case, since 6.1 is the target and is current. Just make sure you save 6.1 NOW ;)

TinyUmbrella has just been updated to support 6.1, and redsn0w should work too.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For users that're trying to save their iOS 6.1 blobs, you can use the newer version of TinyUmbrella, or you can use RedSn0w's SHSH Blob feature to save them :) At the same time you can also throw them up to Cydia's server as well for safekeeping.

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@planetbeing has tweeted that the public release seems to be vulnerable to all the jailbreak exploits they are planning on using, so that is very good news.

It appears that those who want to, can at least prepare to update to 6.1. However, potential jailbreakers should note that any update to 6.1 must NOT use the OTA (over the air) method. Use the full iTunes update or restore operation (whichever suits your needs).

Personally, I'll be waiting until the JB is released since it will support the current public version of IOS (and therefore, there is no rush at this time).

Follow the rest of the jailbreak discussion here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/89458-official-ios6-jailbreak-status-thread.html

So plug it in to computer to update? What's the difference than just clicking update on ipad without connecting to iTunes...

Tapatalk'd / iPad Mini

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've noticed the the music playback buttons on the lock screen are different, I like the style, not the positioning, but I'll survive. Any other differences that anyone noticed?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So plug it in to computer to update? What's the difference than just clicking update on ipad without connecting to iTunes...

Tapatalk'd / iPad Mini

OTA updates give you the incorrect APTickets. APTickets are basically newer version of SHSH Blobs. The difference is that SHSH Blobs are linked to devices, whereas APTickets are linked to instances. APTickets are generated based on your restore rather than the iOS as a whole. So if you upgrade OTA, your APTickets won't be the same as if you were to upgrade through iTunes, meaning you'll be forced to restore to the latest version if you ever need to re-restore or downgrade an iOS if that becomes possible for non-iPad 2s and iPhone 4S's, or even on those 2 device themselves.

OneZeoN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for being stupid....

So all I need to do is connect my iPad to iTunes on my laptop and update to 6.1 that way??
I'm a nooooob I know :D

The_Fuzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for being stupid....

So all I need to do is connect my iPad to iTunes on my laptop and update to 6.1 that way??
I'm a nooooob I know :D

When I saw the 6.1 this morning I immediately downloaded the update from 6.01 but did it OTA and read later that for jailbeaking purposes this is NOT recommeded. How do I downgrade from 6.1 to 6.01????

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just connected my iPad 3 to the power supply and updated directly using Wi-Fi. If there is an issue doing it this way, surely Apple should/would advise?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I saw the 6.1 this morning I immediately downloaded the update from 6.01 but did it OTA and read later that for jailbeaking purposes this is NOT recommeded. How do I downgrade from 6.1 to 6.01????

See the post by f4780y above. The barn door was closed very quickly with this update.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The_Fuzz said:

I'm afraid you can't. The signing window for iOS 6.0.1 closed almost immediately after the release of iOS 6.1.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You can still backup, restore the phone to iOS 6.1 using iTunes, then restore your backup. You will have a full APTicket. Problem solved. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts