What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6.1.2 about to be released?

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An iOS update to fix the zombie passcode security bug and Exchange issues is expected to arrive around February 20, according to new claims from German-language Apple site iFun. The site, which previously played Nostradamus for the impending release of iOS 6.1.1 for iPhone 4S, says iOS 6.1.2 is already in the works and will be seeded to users within the next week.

Source: Exchange, passcode bugs reportedly squashed in upcoming iOS 6.1.2 | Ars Technica

You may want to update to iOS 6.1 (and jailbreak) if you have not already...

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's most likely a hotfix yet again, meaning the Evasi0n exploits are still working with it. Have to wait until the release to see if it's definitely the case or not.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To add the usual caution (that we add every time a release is imminent): Never upgrade to a new iOS version until/unless the jail break developers (in this case, the evasi0n team) specifically state it is safe to do so. Even if its "just" from iOS 6.1 to iOS 6.1.2

So, yes, if you are on the fence about jail breaking, do move to iOS 6.1. You don't have to jail break your iPad - but you should be at the most current version that has been verified to HAVE a jail break while you decide; you don't want to be caught out...

This may all be nothing and the next iOS version may be as easily jail broken. But, we don't know. So, be safe - not sorry.

Marilyn

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And if its just minor fixes what's the point my ipad/iphone5 are running perfect. I feel no need to upgrade and re-set everything up...

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's still jailbreakable using the Evasi0n exploit. v1.4 is up on the site

Last edited:

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't undersand the Apple signing thing. If someone can clarify this for me.

I have an ipad 3, which is still IOS ver 6.0.2 non jailbreak (also ipad mini IOS 6.1 JB). If I upgrade my ipad 3 firmware after apple stopped signing 6.1 via Itunes with usb cable, will itune upgrade my firmware direct to 6.1.2 (bypassing 6.1 and 6.1.1)? Or it will be 6.1 then 6.1.1, then 6.1.2?

If I didn't upgrade IOS all, and apple closes the signing window, will I be stuck at 6.0.2 forever? Will it be compulsory to upgrade, and by not upgrading, apple closes you out completely for any future upgrades?

So worst case scenario, I should save the blob for my ipad 3, so that I can DFU to IOS 6.1 (which is jailbreakable) even after the signing windows closed? But the blob thingy, so far this a just a precautionary measure as method to utilize the blobs have not been cracked yet for IOS 6? So confused ...:eek:

Thank you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you update it will be straight to the latest iOS version that Apple is signing at the time. You won't be locked out of future upgrades.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It'll hopscotch. Upgrading an iOS will never trail up to the latest iOS. You can stay on any iOS as you please. The only real way for you to be forced to upgrade your iOS is if the developer of the apps set the requirement for the app to run on a specific iOS that's not yours, like iOS 7 when your device is iOS 6 and such. But no, Apple themselves cannot force you to restore.

You can upgrade to an iOS that's no longer being signed with SHSH blobs, but downgrading is a different story. All iOS 6's are jailbreakable using Evasi0n up to this point so far. Say you want to upgrade to iOS 6.1 right this moment. iOS 6.1.2 is the latest iOS and the only one that's being signed. If you still want to head to iOS 6.1, you'll need SHSH blobs for iOS 6.1 for your specific iPad and use that to create a custom IPSW to restore, or you can use a utility like RedSn0w and such that will create and install the IPSW at the same time.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
... little snip ...So worst case scenario, I should save the blob for my ipad 3, so that I can DFU to IOS 6.1 (which is jailbreakable) even after the signing windows closed? But the blob thingy, so far this a just a precautionary measure as method to utilize the blobs have not been cracked yet for IOS 6? So confused ...:eek:

Thank you.

As it stands today, you can only upgrade to an iOS version that is being signed by Apple. If not already, iOS 6.1.1 is probably close to being closed. This means that the only iOS you can go to is iOS 6.1.2 - regardless of whether you have SHSH blobs or not.

In other words, while we still stress saving blobs (just in case they can be used in the future) - blobs can't be used like you think. If you are not on an iOS before Apple closes it, you can never go to it.

So, no, you cannot put your iPad into DFU mode to go to iOS 6.1. That iOS is closed. The good news is that you can go to iOS 6.1.2 - which IS jail breakable with evasi0n 1.4.

Hopefully, this clarifies things...?

Marilyn

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
6.1.1 is closing? Wow!! I think I better upgrade tonight!! I'd like to stay 6.1 coz its working fine on my mini:thumbs:. My ipad 3 at the moment in the settings menu says next upgrade is still 6.1. Hopefully I wont get a surprise when l upgrade.

My next problem is lack of space on my c: drive. I have 20 gigs with about 1.5gig free :( . I have moved the media portion elsewhere. I don't think I have space to back up :mad: . This is nuts.

Most reactions