What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5- what would you like to see for iPad?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
No matter how many times people correct this misinformation, it continues to pop up here. Flash uses ZERO extra battery than HTML5 in mobile implementations when flash is set to "on demand". No flash loads unless you want it to. Websites will load NOTHING extra with flash installed when flash is set to "on demand", but they WILL give you a little green arrow where there should be flash content. Tapping on these arrows enables all flash content for the page.

Show me some stats. There is no way that flash doesn't use any extra battery than HTML 5. Do the android tabs have "on demand"?

Reaction score
PDFs are just like a word document except better. More stuff you can do with it. It doesn't drain the battery excessively like flash does. Flash constantly changes what is on the screen, like when watching a video. That is super CPU, ram, and battery taxing.

No matter how many times people correct this misinformation, it continues to pop up here. Flash uses ZERO extra battery than HTML5 in mobile implementations when flash is set to "on demand". No flash loads unless you want it to. Websites will load NOTHING extra with flash installed when flash is set to "on demand", but they WILL give you a little green arrow where there should be flash content. Tapping on these arrows enables all flash content for the page.
So you are stating the extra cpu usage of Flash uses no extra energy?

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

Support Our Troops!!

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! People don't get that.

Reaction score
I'm playing devils advocate. I don't have stats or figures, just experience. My older desktop fan sounds like it's going to take off when using PBS kids games, my Inc battery meter drops very fast as I use it for Kid Mode Flash games and Puffin browser, though I don't know why, uses more battery than icab, Perfect, and Safari. Maybe it's my toddler daughter using them ?

Support Our Troops!!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PDFs are just like a word document except better. More stuff you can do with it. It doesn't drain the battery excessively like flash does. Flash constantly changes what is on the screen, like when watching a video. That is super CPU, ram, and battery taxing.

Support Our Troops!!

Of course he isn't saying that. If Flash is enabled and you are running Flash content on your device then it will be consuming CPU cycles and helping to drain your battery, just as busy HTML5 sites will do. However, if your browser supports on demand Flash then you won't be displaying any Flash content until you enable it. If you don't have any Flash enabled at the time then you won't see any negative effects from it. I believe that was the point being made here.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

However . . . if the site is not using any Flash whatsoever, there is less to worry about. And most people will turn on Flash because why visit a site if you do not want to view Flash content?

So Flash does draw power because in some cases there is no other way to view the site except disabled.

Perhaps the real question is this: how much does Flash impact battery life? Perhaps it is a non-issue?

Bob

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is a question for anyone to answer (WARNING: This message contains Flash content)

Mr. Jobs made such a great case for not allowing Flash, so why didn't he ban Flash from his Laptops and Desktops and SunCamel or RainDuck or SnowCougar or whatever Apple's OS is called?

Bob

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:

Show me some stats. There is no way that flash doesn't use any extra battery than HTML 5. Do the android tabs have "on demand"?

All Android tablets have "on demand". Just did a huge rundown of Android browsers, 13 of them actually, benchmarking and comparing them and every one of them that supported flash had the option for on-demand. There really isn't any stats needed. If its not loading flash, then it cannot be using more battery life. If you are watching a flash video, then you would also be watching an HTML5 video and the battery life during that playback would be very similar, with MAYBE the html5 using a tiny bit less, but we are talking miniscule amounts. The way iOS people talk, its like having flash installed will mean an hour browsing the internet and your battery is dead.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
However . . . if the site is not using any Flash whatsoever, there is less to worry about. And most people will turn on Flash because why visit a site if you do not want to view Flash content?

So Flash does draw power because in some cases there is no other way to view the site except disabled.

Perhaps the real question is this: how much does Flash impact battery life? Perhaps it is a non-issue?

Bob

So you are saying HTML5 uses less power because you literally wont be able to view the content? Yea, well if that is your argument, that flash uses more battery life because you are able to view web pages that you simply cannot without flash, then of course thats the case.

And the reason to have flash "on-demand" is that you run into flash video ALL OF THE TIME in news articles or links from a site like "reddit.com", etc. When you see that there is video content, tap on the flash box and flash is enabled and content loads and plays.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Support Our Troops!!

So you are stating that the simple act of having flash installed even though no flash content is loading on a web page means that extra CPU cycles are being used? What are they being used for?

Reaction score
You guys are saying Flash uses no extra energy when not being used is your reasoning why it doesn't use more energy? Really? If I don't start my car it gets better gas mileage than if I start and drive it but if I want to get anywhere in my car I need to start it.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys are saying Flash uses no extra energy when not being used is your reasoning why it doesn't use more energy? Really? If I don't start my car it gets better gas mileage than if I start and drive it but if I want to get anywhere in my car I need to start it.

Support Our Troops!

I think you are missing the point here. The point is that there are ways to bring Flash to mobile platforms that can balance excessive power demands with being able to view certain content. The argument isn't about energy use of Flash versus any other type of content, it is that there are ways to enable Flash usage without completely killing a mobile device. On demand Flash usage seems to me to make a lot of sense. I don't really want to have a bunch of Flash ads running on my iPad, but at the same time I would like to be able to view some Flash content that is completely unavailable to me natively on my device right now.

Reaction score
Gotcha. Hybrid Flash. Now I understand what y'all are saying. Thanks

Support Our Troops!

Most reactions