What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 vs Jailbreak

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, granted I am a newbie to Apple products. I got my ipad 2 in April, I could have jailbroken it, but at the time i didnt know anything about that. So I wound up missing the boat on jailbreaking and I am kicking myself in the butt every day over that. But............lately I have been reading up and watching videos on iOS 5 and its arrival looks pretty exciting. So my question is, without me knowing anything about Cydia apps, is jailbreaking really that much better than the 200 new features that iOS 5 claims? I am not trying to bash jailbreaking I just honestly want to know, "is it really that much better?"

Thanks for any replies.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As of now, it seems to me that 4.3.3+JB is better then ios5.
True. Apple copied some of the JB Tweaks, at least partially.
But as soon as ios 5.0 will be out, you will see some new tweaks and app on JB, that will either mimic V 5.0 , or make them better.
Thing is, I am sure that Apple will manage the memory much better on V5, then a V4-JB.

One thing is sure. Who ever missed the window of JB on 4.3.3 , made a Big mistake. Big, Big, Big Mistake.
Besides. Seems to me that v5 will be cleaned and ready only through Sep 2011.
Till then we will enjoy JB-Tweaks and APP's

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's worth hoping that iOS 5 will get jailbroken and you won't have to choose. It's a dedicated community filled with some geniuses.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can do many things with jailbroken iPad which Apple won't allow even in iOS 10 :D

OP
R

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do many things with jailbroken iPad which Apple won't allow even in iOS 10 :D
I have no reason to doubt you but please give me 5 of those things comparable to say things like, the new tab feature, notifications, itext...................

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
but please give me 5 of those thing

Jail breaking allows you to access iPad's file system and become root user. Then you can bypass appstore and install any app you want as you install programs in Windows computer.
§- Never suggest to users seeking advice on jailbreaking that piracy is a benefit of jailbreaking on these forums -§
Of course we are not discussing whether it is ethical or not to install apps in this way but the fact is you can do it if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
but please give me 5 of those thing

Jail breaking allows you to access iPad's file system and become root user. Then you can bypass appstore and install any app you want as you install programs in Windows computer.
§- Never suggest to users seeking advice on jailbreaking that piracy is a benefit of jailbreaking on these forums -§
Of course we are not discussing whether it is ethical or not to install apps in this way but the fact is you can do it if you want.

I see.

S65AMG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
although i am using 4.3.3 + JB on my ipad, i will update to iOS 5 when it is release. because it contains most of the basic JB features i am currently using. but if iOS 5 can be JB then i will still JB my ipad

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no reason to doubt you but please give me 5 of those things comparable to say things like, the new tab feature, notifications, itext...................

My personal Opinion is that Apple has done a great job with IOS5, and things that matter to me in terms of improvements so far as as follows:

1) Messages - Exchanging SMS style messages is at last easy and built right into the iPad device, and is free between other Messages users.
2) Wireless Sync - So far working flawlessly for me on beta5 for both my phone and iPad. Very good.
3)Notifications - A vast improvement over the old system, although still not as good as NotifiedPro was IMHO. Still, they are well done and I like them.
4) iCloud - Shows a great deal of promise. Again, it is slick, seamless, and well integrated even if it is not as flexible as a service such as Dropbox
5) Stock App updates - Minor UI enhancements, e.g. in Mail (better sidebar), Safari (Tabs), Twitter (integrated), iPhono (stream) make a cumulative "big" difference to my general day to day use.

BUT, as great as that all is, when I compare that to the flexibility I will be giving up (initially at least) based on the contents of this list, I'm not sure I can give up my 4.3.3 JB just yet - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like it so much I bought a 2nd unit to restore it. I have no doubt iOS 5 will be great, but I don't think it will allow as many options. My favorites (some sound small but they make a tremendous difference in heavy usage): customizable page and folder usage (that is huge, I'm not talking for looks), expanded Safari (gestures, download managers, adblocking), iFile and access to folders and programs, enhanced backup, enhanced system controls and settings, etc. I absolutely love vanilla iPad, but with jailbreak it's what the iPad could be.

Most reactions

Latest posts