What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 Is Finally Here!

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Updating took more than 4 hours. Part of the process (using iTunes for Windows) said that a backup was being created, but none appears to be there, and the last backup was one I did in August.

While Safari and other Apple apps worked fine, most other apps did not work until I did a shutdown and restart.

However, the biggest problem is this:

The iPod icon is gone, replaced with a new one labeled Music. However, all my music, playlists, podcasts, iTunes University downloads are gone. I am not sure of the best way to get this material back.

By the way, previously downloaded tv show episodes and music videos are gone as well.

I am using a first gen iPad.

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Single stick, I, too, lost all of the music that I added to the iPod app via disk. Does anyone know how to recover those albums. This aspect of the upgrade sucks!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You need to synch with iTunes and click on your device on left hand side and synch your media again like you normally do. It will all be there from your last back up. It's because the device is still ticked with synching with computer. When you have synced, tick the box synch with iCloud and your good to go

mkj3757

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66- it won't let me sync anymore. The sync box is grayed out. How do I get that back? Do I check sync with computer or sync with cloud?

bkreso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bkreso said:
Me too. I guess it is just everyone is on line pushing max out of update servers...

Well at the end it all went smooth. A the end of the day I ended up with my iPad2 and iPone3gs running iOS5.
My best practice for how to update to ios5 is:
1. Connect device to iTunes on Mac or PC
Click on Download only updates
Be patient, go for coffe or walk you pet - untill it downloads safely, repeat if "bussy server" error occur
2. Reconnect device
This time go for update device
If it fails - just repeat this step since it is 99.99% due to server overload
Let it finish
3. Sice I have 3G on both devices I had to enter APN for my telco mobile operator manually
And thats it.
Btw
there has been some "multigestures not available anymore" rumor - but in iPad General Settings section you can enable it
Good luck. Be patient. Enjoy iOS5.
Thank you Steve. God bless you!

kiss12andras

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally with iOS 5. First day i couldn't download, but yesterday I could and it took only half an hour!

kitty14091990

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I've just updated my iPad to 5 backed everyone up and on some of my apps the games it's deleted everything which I got quite far on and some apps ga,ex is where I left them any ideas as to how I can get the, back

Thank you x

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kitty14091990 said:
Hi

I've just updated my iPad to 5 backed everyone up and on some of my apps the games it's deleted everything which I got quite far on and some apps ga,ex is where I left them any ideas as to how I can get the, back

Thank you x

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying but if you want to get your apps back then open the App Store and click on the purchased tab, you can re-download them for free from there.

kitty14091990

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I'm not entirely sure what you are saying but if you want to get your apps back then open the App Store and click on the purchased tab, you can re-download them for free from there.

I have but all my games have restarted back to the start where as I got to level 30 it's just erased it all

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66- it won't let me sync anymore. The sync box is grayed out. How do I get that back? Do I check sync with computer or sync with cloud?

Plug your iPad into your computer and launch iTunes. In the lefthand sidebar where you see your iPad, click on the iPad so that you see your Summary screen. Scroll down the screen (it's longer than it used to be) and you'll see your sync options. As Rich has explained previously, selecting the option to backup to iCloud doesn't mean you can't use your computer for backups and syncs - it just means doing it manually in iTunes. My plan is to backup to the cloud once a day, to my pc once a week.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, sorry I didn't get back to you. I had to go to work. What he says. I'm still going in circles with my iPad 1. Restore backup restore backup. Error 54 and there was an interruption etc....

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well after restoring my ipad1 6 times I'm getting mighty tired of iTunes. What is error -54?

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts