What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 5.1.1 issues

Goldnpaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded and updated via wifi.....everything seems ok...except now my screen rotation lock is on and cannot be un selected? :(. Now what??

Mark

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I believe the common fix for this is to go to Settings > General > Use Side Switch to: and change it to Lock Rotation, lock and unlock the rotation a few times (using the side switch) to make sure it works, then you can change things back if you need/want to.

A restart and or reset wouldn't hurt either. I always restart my iPad right after an update.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Svenster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since uploading 5.1.1 on my iPad 2, I am experiencing random app closing. I've powered down ( red slider bar) and a hard rest (red slider and holding home key). Is anyone else experiencing this behavior? Apps that are closing are tapatalk, eBay, flipboard, Reuters, Notability and a few others. Doesn't happen every time but fairly frequent.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

Spud02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if related to 5.1.1 but since upgrading:

My Apple Smart Cover when I close it does not make the clicking sound it use to, letting me know it locked and asleep. The iPad Cover Lock/Unlock is on. Any suggestions?

Spud02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting kept checking everything and finally noticed the lock rotation was on. Put it back and mute and sound again ... do not remember changing that.

reigouki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only realised there were bigger issues with 5.1.1 recently when I turn it off. Trying to turn it on, I got the Apple logo for a bit then the screen flashed and went out which then did it again a few times before I realised it was stuck in a loop. A google result had me plugging it in to the charger which then allowed the iPad3 to start. Still appears that the OS thinks the sleep/wake button is stuck down or something. The iPad is also not making the "I'm activating sleep mode" sound when the smart cover covers the screen and mentioned. The sleep/wake button is also not working like normal. It does provoke a response from the iPad in sleep mode, bringing up the shut down screen, but doesn't seem to much else.

reigouki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I did not. I do not have a computer set aside with iTunes so I just dropped in to an Apple Centre where one of the techies I approached suggested that it could be a hardware issue that was made apparent by the iOS update from 5.1 to 5.1.1 before telling me that they worked through an appointments system. I promptly made an appointment for the Genius Bar online for them to sort it out as the iPad was still under warranty not to mention the Apple Care.

As you'd expected of a slightly intermittent error, the sleep/wake button promptly began to behave itself as soon as I handed it to the techie at the appointment. He was kind enough to still take it out the back to perform a few tests, one of which may have been a restore. I did suggest he power cycle it as it was the only other thing which involved the button. He told me later that when he did, it chucked the iPad into a perpetual on/off cycle which they identified to be an irreparable hardware problem - at least in so far as the abilities available to the store. They then gave me a replacement, which is a factory refurbished piece, one with repaired/double-checked innards and a new case/outside.

Took a while to get it back up to speed as I had disabled iCloud backup back when I was thinking that I didn't need it, not to mention it'd chew into my monthly quota while I wasn't looking. The upside, though, is it let me leave apps out of the reinstall I forgot about installing when I was learning the iPad. In any case, decided to fiddle with the settings this time around so It'd do what I wanted.

Most reactions

Latest posts