What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 latest update release news

Grandad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the majority are VERY happy with the update. Its a Ipad not a laptop. The multitasking does work as described. And 10.3 comes out in a couple weeks that should address the lack of printers issue. And if not there are already many apps the do.

Here Here! "It's is NOT a Lap Top" it is a bloody amazing bit of kit, and the upgrade is fine. For what it's worth I think the iPad is the beginning of the end for laptops and note books. Remember this is the first version, so as Apple learn and progress, I think this is the future of non desktop computing. just my opinion!

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the majority are VERY happy with the update. Its a Ipad not a laptop. The multitasking does work as described. And 10.3 comes out in a couple weeks that should address the lack of printers issue. And if not there are already many apps the do.

I do not remember saying anything about it being or wanting it to be a Laptop. I think the the Ipad is a great bit of kit and i have lots of uses for it, i bought a second one also, i also have 2 ipod's, so quite happy with them all. I did say a lot of hype about an OS that promised a lot. Also maybe you should look at what Multitasking is.
There are a lot of things that the Ipad could do and that they do if they are jailbroken so why do Apple insist on not implementing them, there not cheap and you want to get the most out of them. And for info mine is not jailbroken, one good thing is that i feel that they are more stable unbroken, but im sure Apple could make them as stable with more refinments.
Most of this is down to money making and sometimes just ripping people of. Midi devices ou only have to lok at some of them Irig which goes for around £60 and to make it cost a couple of quid, anyway my rant over.
The Ipad great the OS not as good as the hype. Its not multitasking, and its not a PC or Laptop, but if it looks like a duck and quaks like a duck you expect it to be a duck..quak quak quak:D

brianmackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I do not remember saying anything about it being or wanting it to be a Laptop. I think the the Ipad is a great bit of kit and i have lots of uses for it, i bought a second one also, i also have 2 ipod's, so quite happy with them all. I did say a lot of hype about an OS that promised a lot. Also maybe you should look at what Multitasking is.
There are a lot of things that the Ipad could do and that they do if they are jailbroken so why do Apple insist on not implementing them, there not cheap and you want to get the most out of them. And for info mine is not jailbroken, one good thing is that i feel that they are more stable unbroken, but im sure Apple could make them as stable with more refinments.
Most of this is down to money making and sometimes just ripping people of. Midi devices ou only have to lok at some of them Irig which goes for around £60 and to make it cost a couple of quid, anyway my rant over.
The Ipad great the OS not as good as the hype. Its not multitasking, and its not a PC or Laptop, but if it looks like a duck and quaks like a duck you expect it to be a duck..quak quak quak:D

If it whines like a duck?

Its better than the hype for me! Aflac!!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Attachments

• DUCK.jpg
    DUCK.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 192

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score

If it whines like a duck?

Its better than the hype for me! Aflac!!

Ahhhhhhh Quak Quak, little minds are genrally pleased.

KevinK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update successful!

I'm afraid to update my iPad. I tried the other day and it said the update loaded however after 14 hours of "backing up my iPad" I cancelled the synch. The update didn't take and I'm still on 3.x. I then updated my 3GS iPhone, it took though I lost all my apps that weren't on the first page including my App Store icon so I can't get them back. I've looked but don't seem to see anything on the Aplle support site and iTunes 10.1 keeps freezing on me. Any suggestions would be welcome. Running on Win XP with the latest SP's.

I found a tip elsewhere that fixed the issue. I had a number of external drives mapped (work stuff) and read if you disconnected them it would speed things up considerably. Disconnected the drive and updated the iPad in less than 5 minutes. I got all my apps back as well for the iPhone.

Mafushkwa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please help - I've connected my iPad to iTunes on my PC but can't see where to download the new ios4.2 software?

minster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First visit to forum and found solution to problem I didn't know I had. Just got 4.2 & hadn't yet found rotation switch was now mute. Thank you

Fizzbin2003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I am an UK user and have had my ipad (bought in New York) a month ago.

Am loving it but the new software update 4.2 has been an absolute nightmare.

I have now tried 6 times (and it takes about 80 minutes each time) to download and install this on my ipad and each time it has failed.

I appear to be able to download the update each time and then it says "processing" and I then get a message saying:

"There was a problem downloading the software for the ipad "ipad". The network connection timed out. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active or try again later."

This implies there is a problem with my internet but I ran diagnosis in iTunes and it said it was fine.

So what is the problem? Very frustrating....

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I am an UK user and have had my ipad (bought in New York) a month ago.

Am loving it but the new software update 4.2 has been an absolute nightmare.

I have now tried 6 times (and it takes about 80 minutes each time) to download and install this on my ipad and each time it has failed.

I appear to be able to download the update each time and then it says "processing" and I then get a message saying:

"There was a problem downloading the software for the ipad "ipad". The network connection timed out. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active or try again later."

This implies there is a problem with my internet but I ran diagnosis in iTunes and it said it was fine.

So what is the problem? Very frustrating....

I had this happen, too. The problem could be that the servers cannot handle all the traffic. Itunes checks for updates periodically (not every day), so there'll likely people out there that still have to download ios4.2.1, too.

As I understood, the last GM-seed has the same build-number as the final release of ios4.2.1.
So I just took a download I could find via google and installed it by holding down the shift-key while pressing on the update-button in itunes.
After updating the iPad, itunes says that I'd have the latest version.
You can find the exact build number somewhere in this forum, too.
To install the os, you still need to be connected to the internet as apple verifies your eligibility for the update, but this is not as lengthy as downloading the os from apple.
But, as a lot of people will probably point out later, use this workaround at your own risk.

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had same problem when useing wireless connection. pluged in direct and it downloaded and all done in under 20 mins. i had tried 6 times, had the same problem with the ipod when i done that untill i conneced to the wire.

Fizzbin2003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other query - do I need the new 4.2 update for my Apple TV (don't have this yet - will be getting at Christmas) to work properly? Or will I be OK on the 3.2.2 version - having tried 7 times (12 hours of downloading time) to install 4.2 I have given up; I might take it along to an Apple Store and get them to do it.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One other query - do I need the new 4.2 update for my Apple TV (don't have this yet - will be getting at Christmas) to work properly? Or will I be OK on the 3.2.2 version - having tried 7 times (12 hours of downloading time) to install 4.2 I have given up; I might take it along to an Apple Store and get them to do it.

I believe you need 4.2 for AirPlay. The remote should work fine.

Slow internet connection?

Most reactions

Latest posts