What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 11 Problems and Issues Thread

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been discussed in this (or another) thread, but I upgraded my iPad Air 2 a few days ago to iOS 11 and had nearly a dozen apps that had updates which would not download - apparently, an issue for some w/ this newest iOS version & App Store, as in the quote below (see LINK for more info). For myself, I updated to iOS 11.0.1, and then all of the apps quickly downloaded. Dave :)

P.S. Susan was having the same issue on her upgraded iPad Mini 4 - did the 11.0.1 update and her 8 'waiting' apps downloaded and installed.

How to Fix iOS 11 Apps Won’t Download, Install, Update on iPhone, iPad
jaysukh patel
The Apple App Store is the flagship Organ of its iDevice (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch). And after a long time, the brand new iOS 11 comes with All-new App Store, and it is the biggest iOS update after the last year released iOS 10. The new ecosystem is pretty much stable as compared to other brands Smartphone operating system. But sometimes some of the features might won’t work due to Apple Server issue or annoying glitches. So among all of the bugs, the user reporting problem like Unable to download App, Apps installing, Apps updating issue automatically, Apps Won’t download as well.

Last edited:

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don’t know anyone else has observed or faced it but on my iPad mini 2, the Microsoft OneDrive app overrides the recent app place in dock and occupies one spot out of three suggested recent apps. I couldn’t figure out how to stop it sticking there at recent app area. Finally I just disabled the recently used app suggestion in the dock settings.

Atindra

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After reading your post, I’ve opened OneDrive a few times, and watched it disappearing from my recent apps, after using three apps that are not in my dock. It’s working as expected on my iPad Pro.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don’t know anyone else has observed or faced it but on my iPad mini 2, the Microsoft OneDrive app overrides the recent app place in dock and occupies one spot out of three suggested recent apps. I couldn’t figure out how to stop it sticking there at recent app area. Finally I just disabled the recently used app suggestion in the dock settings.

Atindra

Strange. I dont’ have any issues with OneDrive staying in the Dock. I thought it might be Continuity, but I just downloaded and enabled OneDrive on my iPhone, and it doesn’t show up that way either (not all apps support Continuity).

If you haven’t done so recently try restarting or reseting your iPad.

Reset: Hold down the home and power buttons untill the Apple Logo appears.

Hold in mind that the recents area shows the last three recent apps
‘that are not in the left side of the dock’. So to properly test it you need to open four or more apps that are not in the dock to force OneDrive to go away.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yet Another Bug: Triple-click Home to get the magnifier. Take a photo in landscape mode, and save it to the Camera Roll. View it in Photos...and it has been rotated, unbidden, to portrait mode. In iOS 10, it stayed landscape. If I'd wanted a portrait photo, I'd have taken it that way, thank you very much.

Automatic screen brightness has never worked well for me, but at least I could turn it off. Did they move the off-switch somewhere? To me, it's mostly automatically wrong, and I'm constantly fiddling with it through the awkward new Control Center slider.

Last edited:

warc1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to create and manage directories “On My iPad” in the new iOS 11 Files app? You can do this in iCloud and Google Drive by swiping down on their browse pages which exposes a folder icon at the top left corner. However, no folder icon appears when you swipe down on the “On My iPad” browse page.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As far as I can see, the top level of On My iPad seems to relate to the apps available, e.g Pages. If you then go into the folder for an app, e.g. Pages, you can then create a folder.

I feel somewhat hesitant about Folders; I even started reading the manual about it last night. Having got caught out by sync with iCloud, where I deleted the files on iCloud, not realising that that would delete the files on my iPad, I am treading carefully with Folders.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Probably not a 'bug' and more likely an update install issue and/or hardware interaction on my iPad Air 2 - but after installing iOS 11.0.2, AirPlane Mode (AM) fails to turn off my BT & Wi-Fi radios in both the new Control Center and in Settings (quote below from a 2-page thread in the iPad Forums - posted a bunch of screen captures there for those interested). But as stated, upgraded and updated Susan's devices and AM works fine on both her iPad Mini 4 & iPhone 6 - could do a reinstall but will just wait for the next iOS update - but curious if others may have had a similar problem and if so a solution. Thanks - Dave :)

Well, as Jake stated above - Airplane Mode (AM) in both the Control Center and in Settings should disable all radios - several nights ago, I updated my wife's iPhone 6 & iPad Mini 4 - just tested AM on her two devices and worked exactly as described, i.e. correctly and as expected. I suspect that my iPad Air 2 iOS 11.0.2 install is the issue (and/or possibly a hardware problem w/ the device itself?) - now, I could do an erase and reinstall from a backup but would the same issue arise for me? I will simply wait for the next iOS update and see if the situation is corrected. In a month, we are flying to Indianapolis to visit our son and if the problem is not corrected, I'll simply go into Settings and turn off the radios there. Thanks for all of the great input. Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably not a 'bug' and more likely an update install issue and/or hardware interaction on my iPad Air 2 - but after installing iOS 11.0.2, AirPlane Mode (AM) fails to turn off my BT & Wi-Fi radios in both the new Control Center and in Settings (quote below from a 2-page thread in the iPad Forums - posted a bunch of screen captures there for those interested). But as stated, upgraded and updated Susan's devices and AM works fine on both her iPad Mini 4 & iPhone 6 - could do a reinstall but will just wait for the next iOS update - but curious if others may have had a similar problem and if so a solution. Thanks - Dave :)
It’s possible to use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth while in Airplane Mode. It’s meant to work this way:
When you use Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi when AM is enabled, then turn off AM, and enable it a while afterwards, both networks will still be active in AM. You have to disable them, as long as you’re in AM, if you don’t want to use them.
Use Airplane Mode on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

Maybe they were enabled while using Airplane Mode, and not turned off again.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It’s possible to use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth while in Airplane Mode. It’s meant to work this way:
When you use Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi when AM is enabled, then turn off AM, and enable it a while afterwards, both networks will still be active in AM. You have to disable them, as long as you’re in AM, if you don’t want to use them.
Use Airplane Mode on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

Maybe they were enabled while using Airplane Mode, and not turned off again.

Thanks Johanna - yep, the above were all discussed in the MacForums thread link w/ a bunch of screenshots that I left - typically, when Airplane Mode (AM) is selected in the new Control Center, the symbol turns orange (red?) and the other 3 symbols are dimmed w/ a cross mark, as shown in the first pic below from your link - however, when I hit AM on my iPad, nothing happens w/ the other 3 symbols (see 2nd pic from my device) - now on my wife's devices (11.0.2 also), when AM is activated, then all three other symbols behave correctly, both in the Control Center and in Settings. I've RESET my iPad 3x over several days w/ no effect - believe that it's a software installation 'error' on my device - I'll be on an airplane in a month and will simply go into Settings and turn off BT & Wi-Fi, unless a new update is released that corrects my issue - really not a big problem. Thanks again - Dave

ADDENDUM (Oct 8): Well, for some reason, AM will now 'turn off' Wi-Fi & AirDrop (but not BT) in both the Control Center & Settings; so maybe if I wait a few more days, BT too will be affected - scratching my head! ;)
AP1.png
AP2.png

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Automatic screen brightness has never worked well for me, but at least I could turn it off. Did they move the off-switch somewhere?

To answer my own question, YES. For some unfathomable reason, the switch is now under Accessibility, as if wanting a comfortable viewing level were some sort of disability or birth defect.

And remember, disabling the various radios (BT, wifi, cellular) in the iOS 11 control center does not mean they are turned off. They might still be draining your battery, despite not doing anything useful. I don't understand this well enough yet to offer a solution. Very confusing, changes with no upside. Apple's increasing arrogance is simply breathtaking...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there any way to create and manage directories “On My iPad” in the new iOS 11 Files app? You can do this in iCloud and Google Drive by swiping down on their browse pages which exposes a folder icon at the top left corner. However, no folder icon appears when you swipe down on the “On My iPad” browse page.

If you tap-hold in the “On My iPad” screen you can get the popup menu with the ‘info’ option. The name of the folder suggests that this area is only for File Provider apps that have a local storage option.

Looking at the apps that show up in ‘On My iPad) suggests that it exists mostly as an place for older apps that have not updated their local storage methods for a couple of iOS versions.

Apps that show up at the top level of the Folder app are also local storage (unless they are specificaly cloud storage apps). This includes some of my most used and up-to-date appes.

My guess is that Apple is preventing the creation of folders in the ‘On My iPad’ folder because they plan on removing it sometime in the future, and don’t want to risk users losing or having to migrate their data.

At this time there does not appear to be a way of creating a local folder on the iPad that is both app and cloud service independent.

DenaliBoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let us know if you are having problems are issues after upgrading to iOS 11.
I just updated to IOS 11.0.2 and Im now unable to open Netflix, either via wifi or cellular. Attempts for about 15 seconds to open and then just closes and returns to my folder which contains a variety of entertainment apps--no problem opening you've, amazon prime, etc. Just Netflix, which worked fine prior to IOS 11. Any ideaS?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just updated to IOS 11.0.2 and Im now unable to open Netflix, either via wifi or cellular. Attempts for about 15 seconds to open and then just closes and returns to my folder which contains a variety of entertainment apps--no problem opening you've, amazon prime, etc. Just Netflix, which worked fine prior to IOS 11. Any ideaS?
Welcome to iPad Forums!

Force close the app (swipe upwards from the bottom to show dock, Control Centre and App Switcher). Then slide the Netflix thumbnail towards the top of the screen.

Then restart your iPad - turn it off and on again.

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts