What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet access?

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My home is hard wired for internet, can the ipad be used by hard wired internet and wireless?

I am not aware of any wired hookups for the iPad, but it does Wireless great, and has the N standard, so can be very quick. That is actually one of the huge sellling points of the iPad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

As Pluto6 suggests, the iPad cannot be hard-wired to the Internet. Several Forum members have wondered whether the iPad dock-to-USB connector could be used with a separate USB-to-Ethernet adaptor to connect the iPad to a wired Ethernet network. Unfortunately, this is not possible. The iPad's dock-to-USB connector does not provide a 'universal' USB interface, of the sort that you have come to expect from, say, a PC. It has only a couple of very specific applications - charging the iPad, connecting to the iPad dock-to-SD card adaptor, connecting to the iPad dock-to-VGA adaptor etc and, as far as I am aware (other Forum members will, I am sure, step in here if my advice is incorrect) could never be used to provide an wired Internet connection.

So, to use your iPad to connect to the Internet at home, you will need some type of wireless interface - either WiFi or 3G. However, providing a WiFi wireless network if you already have a wired network is very straightforward and inexpensive, so this shouldn't really be an obstacle to using your iPad at home. There are several 'adaptors' out there in the market that provide a 'plug-and-play' solution. Don't hesitate to get back to the Forum if you need any help here.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

Tim
Scotland

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

As Pluto6 suggests, the iPad cannot be hard-wired to the Internet. Several Forum members have wondered whether the iPad dock-to-USB connector could be used with a separate USB-to-Ethernet adaptor to connect the iPad to a wired Ethernet network. Unfortunately, this is not possible. The iPad's dock-to-USB connector does not provide a 'universal' USB interface, of the sort that you have come to expect from, say, a PC. It has only a couple of
very specific applications - charging the iPad, connecting to the iPad dock-to-SD card
adaptor, connecting to the iPad dock-to-VGA adaptor etc and, as far as I am aware (other Forum members will, I am sure, step in here if my advice is incorrect) could never be used to provide an wired Internet connection.

So, to use your iPad to connect to the Internet at home, you will need some type of wireless interface - either WiFi or 3G. However, providing a WiFi wireless network if you already have a wired network is very straightforward and inexpensive, so this shouldn't really be an obstacle to using your iPad at home. There are several 'adaptors' out there in the market that provide a 'plug-and-play' solution. Don't hesitate to get back to the Forum if you need any help here.
Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

Tim
Scotland

I seen that same first paragraph from u earlier.....I was thinking i was reading a response from ya from earlier! Haha I kid I kid

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - cut and paste....

I think it's good to welcome new Forum members; some have very limited computer experience and, if they don't see a 'response' after they've posted, they are not really confident that their post was successful. My wife is one of these, so I have first-hand experience of talking to a person who can *just about* read her email (she's not sent any yet!).

So, several Forum members try to respond quickly to first-time posters to give them confidence. It's difficult often to know if a first-time Forum poster is simply new to the Forum, but has a PhD in Computing Science, or whether the iPad is their first venture into the wonderful world of computing. The 'rapid response' is really intended for this second group - we don't want them to go away from this Forum.

Thanks, though, for seeing the funny side..

Wow- it's early morning here in Scotland - what am I doing typing on my iPad at this time - I need to get a life.....

Tim
Scotland

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - cut and paste....

I think it's good to welcome new Forum members; some have very limited computer experience and, if they don't see a 'response' after they've posted, they are not really confident that their post was successful. My wife is one of these, so I have first-hand experience of talking to a person who can *just about* read her email (she's not sent any yet!).

So, several Forum members try to respond quickly to first-time posters to give them confidence. It's difficult often to know if a first-time Forum poster is simply new to the Forum, but has a PhD in Computing Science, or whether the iPad is their first venture into the wonderful world of computing. The 'rapid response' is really intended for this second
group - we don't want them to go away from this Forum.
Thanks, though, for seeing the funny side..

Wow- it's early morning here in Scotland - what am I doing typing on my iPad at this time - I need to get a life.....

Tim
Scotland

Yea I got ya......midnight here!! Kinda funny your doing the morning work and I'm doing the night work and were both kinda doing it at the same time! Lol

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts