What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermittent orientation lock problem since 8.4 update

rdkendrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since updating to iOS 8.4 on my Air 2, my orientation lock gets stuck on the last orientation of the app I eas using. The only was to change it is to turn it on & off in control panel, then shut it off & on.
I haven't read anything, yet, on this problem, and did a search on orientation lock before posting.
Anyone else experiencing this? If yes, any solution?
Csn anyone point me to any possible bug notes on this?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried a reset (hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears). Sometimes this fixes what a simple restart (off/on) doesn't.

You could also try Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This won't delete anything, but it does default a lot of settings and you'll go through a partial setup procedure again. It tends to help when settings seem to be getting stuck on/off despite what the switch says.

You'll want to go through all your settings afterwards and tweak them back to your preferences.

Note: Be careful not to use the Erase All Contents and Settings choice instead. That does erase everything.

OP
rdkendrick

rdkendrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I did the simple reset. I forgot to add that. It came back in a day.
Didn't do the reset-all, though. I hate having to try and remember all the settings that I had set.
I will do that, if I get desperate. It's a minor annoyance that I hope the next update fixes.
Thanks for the reply!

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm experiencing the same problem on my iPad Air 2. I have done a full restore but the problem remains.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I assume it is not down to one app?
That's what I thought at first but I haven't been able to pinpoint it to one app. i'm beginning to wonder if this problem is due to a bad batch of a certain component.

Fricotin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is a calibration issue, when it is stuck I load the app Compass HD it asks me to do a calibration and when done it solves the problem.

webproquo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing, but it fixes itself on mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agent1191

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since updating to iOS 8.4 on my Air 2, my orientation lock gets stuck on the last orientation of the app I eas using. The only was to change it is to turn it on & off in control panel, then shut it off & on.
I haven't read anything, yet, on this problem, and did a search on orientation lock before posting.
Anyone else experiencing this? If yes, any solution?
Csn anyone point me to any possible bug notes on this?
I am having the same problem on my Ipad Air 2

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the macrumors forum linked above, mackinjosh suggests the following 'I think I figured out why the lock occurs. If you go into settings then accessibility and look at reduce motion, if it's set to on the problem occurs. If you turn it off the problem goes away. I still haven't figured out why the iPad Air 2 takes an extra second to wake from sleep though.'

Perhaps worth a try for those experiencing the problem - which I fortunately don't.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tested a few things today on my iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.4 (YMMV):

* using the power button to wake does not help in avoiding the orientation lock issue
* 5 finger swiping to the home screen results in a delay before the home screen appears, the delay is about a half second and shows nothing but the wallpaper
* swiping between apps sometimes results in a quick test (iOS Diagnostics)
* I did a system restore but the issue persists when restoring from iCloud backup, this issue seems to be carried over into the backup

I haven't turned reduce motion off because I wanted to test some things.

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see that Apple has seeded iOS 8.4.1 to developers. I'm betting, or hoping, that one of the things in this update resolves this orientation lock issue.

Most reactions

Latest posts