What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Android on the iPad

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
those are just themes, you wont have the same expperience with the ipad as you do on the actual honeycomb

Sent from my iPad 2 wifi 32gb (jailbreaked) using iPF

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why, why, why worry about putting Android on the iPad? Not sure I get it. You would need to worry about multiple apps, you would have too much space taken up by the other OS and I am not sure you gain anything. Not sure it is a good idea, but I will listen.

I run Dreamboard and I can use themes that look like I am running an Android tablet. For example, Endroid and the HTC HD2 theme.

I use a Motorola Triumph phone and I like it, but I am not enamored with Android enough to want it on my iPad. I can run a different launcher on my phone that make it liik like an iPhone. I think people want to look of Android on their iPad rather than actually running the OS.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I cant help but to hack. Everyone knows Android OS is the better Os for development. Plus I didn't buy this thing. I'd rather a 9 in Android Tablet.

I do not know that and trust me, I know allot of stuff. You cant be suggesting that Android is easier to program and/or iOS is harder to program, are you? I think creating great applications is hard, regardless of the OS. Either development platform takes time to learn.

Care to cite specific examples that show one is easier to develop for than the other?

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
I do not know that and trust me, I know allot of stuff. You cant be suggesting that Android is easier to program and/or iOS is harder to program, are you? I think creating great applications is hard, regardless of the OS. Either development platform takes time to learn.

Care to cite specific examples that show one is easier to develop for than the other?

ios IS hard to program, if it wasn't then android phones would have the posibility to dualboot android and ios.
i do even want ios for my android phone and android 3x for my ipad 2

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pargadox said:
ios IS hard to program, if it wasn't then android phones would have the posibility to dualboot android and ios.
i do even want ios for my android phone and android 3x for my ipad 2

Hmmm, being an IOS developer I usually steer clear of discussions like this, but in this case I think you are seriously confusing IOS being "hard to program" with it being "hard to hack". The reason you can't dual boot an android device with IOS is that it is not a trivial task to port another OS onto device hardware it was never designed for or compiled against, especially when it is closed source. It is therefore hard to hack. That does not mean the IOS platform is hard to program.
Porting Android to run on a iDevice is in theory simpler, since it is open source, but of course iDevices are actually "hard to hack" too, making the entire process less than enticing, particularly when the hardware is "proprietary" . Hence the reason there has been only very limited attempts to do that.

Back on topic, IOS and Android are both reasonably easy to program / develop apps for, provided you are a suitably skilled / trained developer. Neither is significantly more challenging that the other, and neither would be termed as "hard" by any developer worth their salt IMHO. That's the reason both have an extremely healthy app eco-system.

Now malbolge... THAT'S hard to program.... :D

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I interrupt this thread to say:

I just finished a Google session on Malbolge. And ... I think my head just 'sploded!

That is all - I now return you to your regular programming.

Marilyn

P.S. I apologize for the OT. Its' just that ... that ... wow! Malbolge! Huh.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmmm, being an IOS developer I usually steer clear of discussions like this, but in this case I think you are seriously confusing IOS being "hard to program" with it being "hard to hack". The reason you can't dual boot an android device with IOS is that it is not a trivial task to port another OS onto device hardware it was never designed for or compiled against, especially when it is closed source. It is therefore hard to hack. That does not mean the IOS platform is hard to program.
Porting Android to run on a iDevice is in theory simpler, since it is open source, but of course iDevices are actually "hard to hack" too, making the entire process less than enticing, particularly when the hardware is "proprietary" . Hence the reason there has been only very limited attempts to do that.

Back on topic, IOS and Android are both reasonably easy to program / develop apps for, provided you are a suitably skilled / trained developer. Neither is significantly more challenging that the other, and neither would be termed as "hard" by any developer worth their salt IMHO. That's the reason both have an extremely healthy app eco-system.

Now malbolge... THAT'S hard to program.... :D

I had to laugh, Early. I posted something about Malbolge. Very interesting language. From what I understand even great programmers find it a challenge. Or perhaps they ignore it due to why it was written. I no longer dabble with code. Except for the occasional Word macro and the Access stuff.

xIkx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reaction you could expect in this thread is: Why would you, other things are better or easier. My personal opinion on both these subjects is: Interresting, contemplating difficult subjects is good for your brain.
Thanks for mentioning Malborge, very interresting.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
those are just themes, you wont have the same expperience with the ipad as you do on the actual honeycomb

But themes can be cool, too. We know (some of us) that Honey Pad is just a theme. And I do have the same general experience running the theme as I would have running the OS. I suspect many people want Android on their iPads because of the look rather than the functionality. Just a guess. I still cannot think of a good reason I would want to run Android on my iPad. To much complication and nothing on the Android side tweaks my twiddle enough to install it.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
Why, why, why worry about putting Android on the iPad? Not sure I get it. You would need to worry about multiple apps, you would have too much space taken up by the other OS and I am not sure you gain anything. Not sure it is a good idea, but I will listen.

I run Dreamboard and I can use themes that look like I am running an Android tablet. For example, Endroid and the HTC HD2 theme.

I use a Motorola Triumph phone and I like it, but I am not enamored with Android enough to want it on my iPad. I can run a different launcher on my phone that make it liik like an iPhone. I think people want to look of Android on their iPad rather than actually running the OS.

I never thought about it that way. Nice post.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never thought about it that way. Nice post.

Thanks. I just do not get it. If there were value to dual booting an iPad, I would be excited. Seems to me, there are hackers that want it. I get that. For most people, forget it. They do not need it. Not sure how many people will be as excited after they install Android on their iPad. Perhaps I am wrong. So I am open to any reasonable argument for dual booting the iPad.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I just do not get it. If there were value to dual booting an iPad, I would be excited. Seems to me, there are hackers that want it. I get that. For most people, forget it. They do not need it. Not sure how many people will be as excited after they install Android on their iPad. Perhaps I am wrong. So I am open to any reasonable argument for dual booting the iPad.

I think dual-booting would be great, but just installing Android as the primary OS is just a waste.
Go buy the Asus Transformer if you want Android.

It's like buying a Mac. People buy macs to get OS X, and also dual boot windows. If you want windows, you don't go out and buy a $1,500 mac and then install windows on it, you just buy a PC.

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
I think dual-booting would be great, but just installing Android as the primary OS is just a waste.
Go buy the Asus Transformer if you want Android.

It's like buying a Mac. People buy macs to get OS X, and also dual boot windows. If you want windows, you don't go out and buy a $1,500 mac and then install windows on it, you just buy a PC.

but some people want both os's its better to have an ipad 2 that are capeable to get android as dualboot, instead of buying 2 devices to the double the price of an ipad.

mac and windows are an pc... mac is just an OS but also the the name of the computer, just like asus, hp and packard bell.
i want to have osx just as much as some windows users want. but they do not want to pay 1000 bucks just to get osx on an machine just as powerfull as an laptop as the price of 650 bucks. therefore its best to dualboot both os's on one cheap but powerfull pc with windows installed on.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pargadox said:
but some people want both os's its better to have an ipad 2 that are capeable to get android as dualboot, instead of buying 2 devices to the double the price of an ipad.

mac and windows are an pc... mac is just an OS but also the the name of the computer, just like asus, hp and packard bell.
i want to have osx just as much as some windows users want. but they do not want to pay 1000 bucks just to get osx on an machine just as powerfull as an laptop as the price of 650 bucks. therefore its best to dualboot both os's on one cheap but powerfull pc with windows installed on.

That's what I said "dual-booting would be great".
Also, most people refer to windows machines as "PCs" and OS X machines as "Macs". (Even though they are both personal computers :))

Most reactions

Latest posts