What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Android on the iPad

Colin Pye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's like buying a Mac. People buy macs to get OS X, and also dual boot windows. If you want windows, you don't go out and buy a $1,500 mac and then install windows on it, you just buy a PC.

Things are a little different, now that the original iPads are no longer supported by current versions of iOS. Since the original iPads haven't been updated to iOS 6 or above, you can no longer get current versions of many applications, so if I wanted to have a current browser, I can't update Safari, and can't load the current version of Chrome either.

Just as older PC hardware can be rejuvenated with lightweight non-Windows operating systems (look for Puppy Linux to learn more), perhaps Android might be an answer to getting current apps since iOS updates are no longer available. I hope it's not the beginning of a trend to shorten the functional life of other Apple products, as my Mac is older than my iPad, and can still run current versions of OS X.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Android cannot be made to run on any iOS device.

The iPad 1 was introduced almost 4 years ago and 4 years old is ancient in light of the speed of technological progress.

The original iPad is too limited in terms of its hardware to run the latest iOS version and the apps that require iOS 7.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FYI there is a project where a group of devs is making android portable in an iOS device. I think it was called project iDroid. It is only available for earlier versions of the iPhone. Right now some devs are abandoning it and there are only 3- 1 devs making it. It is taking extremly long time because of it. There are also claims of it having a lot of bugs.

For me though I don't reccomend it. If you want android get a android phone instead as those are waaaay better than earlier iphone versions with android.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Installing Android on an iOS device is like replacing your Ferrari engine with a Volkswagen engine. One of the reasons Android isn't as fast or as smooth as iOS is because Android runs most of its code in a virtual machine, whereas iOS runs all of its code natively. Anyone familiar with a VM will know that its very nature makes it slower than native execution. This is another reason Android devices need quad core chips, whereas iOS doesn't need quad core. Most mobile malware is written for Android, partly because it's a Java platform and partly because Android is so open.

Installing Android on an iPhone 5 would yield a slow and clunky mobile experience, not because the iPhone is slacking in powerful hardware, but because of the way Android is designed.

Just my $0.02.. from an ex-Android developer.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts