What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improving WiFi coverage

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For once this is not a moan about Ipad Wifi reception.
Instead I need to boost my wifi area in the house as it doesn't extend more than about 6 metres from the router whatever I am using, whether it is the Ipad or laptop. Are there any signal boosters or other equipment to boost the signal throughout the house?
Thanks,
Peter

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is your house built with lead walls??

I agree with my esteemed colleague that a new router is most likely in order. It is not necessary to get a top of line line model. I have a D-Link DIR-615 which is pretty much their entry level 802.11n router and it works great!

I live on 3 acres and my router is in the "man cave" in the corner of the house with the red arrow and I have good coverage over the entire property. (I listen to streaming music on my iPod Touch while cutting grass)

ourhouse.jpg

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I have done is too set up 3 units of the same brand, use the same SSID and password on each one and then set each one to a different channel spaced at least 2 channels apart, more is better. I live in a large brick house with some brick walls between rooms, as they were added on. I live in the middle of 135 acres so I don't have to worry about interfering with others. Two units should work fine in most cases with some trial and error in placement. Tried booster units, but they were slow and erratic. Just another thought. If you live in close to others with WiFi just try another channel, you may be getting interference from your neighbors.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Upgrade to an 802.11N router if you already have not done so.

also if your a Techie type of person that likes to do this kind of stuff you can pick up either an 802.11N router that supports wireless bridging or pick up one thats compatible with DD-wrt.

DD-wrt is a custom open firmware for wireless routers that you can install to give you more options. My main router is a Cradlepoint MBR1000 with a backup Verizon aircard to keep the internet up if the cable company ever goes out.

Then I have a 802.11N netgear router that I installed DD-wrt on. I set this router up to connect to the main router and then share the internet out with devices that are connected. Also with DD-wrt I am able to set up Multiple SSID's that broadcast and are on their own VLan. If anyone tries to bypass the security and jump on the network, there gonna have to go through a few SSID's first before finding the valid one.

OP
P

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a Netgear DGN1000, only eight months old. Took hours on the phone to Netgear to get it set up.
It could just be a piece of cra*p that never worked properly. Perhaps I should take it back!

Most reactions

Latest posts