What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

imessaging ios5

leeejordan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

after installing ios5 on my ipad i now have the app for imessages but when i try to send a message it doesnt allow me to send. the send button stays greyed out. i can type the message add contact details but thats as far as i can go. any suggestions.

Many thanks in advance,
Lee.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved this to the Help section, where I think it will receive better attention and because iPad1 users may be interested in the answer too.

Tim

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You can only send to other iOS5 users who have setup imessage.

Are you sending to a iphone or ipad user with ios5?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, I could be wrong but I believe that you need to activate iCloud. I could not send any iMessages until my iCloud account was activated? I'm happy to be corrected though.

The Archangel

OP
leeejordan

leeejordan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mmm thought I'd activated that. When I updated to ios5 at the start up it asked me to create I cloud account.

How do I create it the n or check if activated. I've even got emails from cloud after activating. Baffled

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another thought, have you checked in Settings on your iPad that messaging is switched on.....Settings>Messages.

The Archangel

TrxSlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do not have to have iCloud on to use iMessage....I think. You need to verify your email. And the person you are trying to message needs to have iOS 5 and they need to verify their email.

Settings> Messages> iMessage On

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

buzzkill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That makes this about the most useless app I have ever had. I text my Mom because she does not hear so well... but her MetroPCS phone is not registered with it. Boat anchor app...

OP
leeejordan

leeejordan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments.....I sent a message to myself and it worked so must be that the recipient needs ios5...and a registered account just need some friends with that now.

Seems a little silly that it cant be to anyone who can receive text messages outside of ios5

Most reactions