What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMessage trouble when tethered to phone

Thescatterling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My trouble is relatively straightforward. I have an iPad 2 64gig wifi only. iMessage seems to work just fine when I'm connected to a wifi signal. Any signal. The problem seems to occur when I'm tethered to my iPhone 3GS hotspot via Bluetooth. In this mode I can browse on safari, use any of my apps that require an Internet connection and send and receive email. What I cannot do is use iMessage. It will let you press the "send" tab, but eventually I get a red exclamation mark and the "Not Delivered" message under the text. I should point out that the problem started when I upgraded to 6.0, and today's 6.1 update did not fix the problem. I've been living with the problem for a while now, but it's getting really old now. I use AT&T as a carrier if that makes any difference. Please help.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thescatterling said:
My trouble is relatively straightforward. I have an iPad 2 64gig wifi only. iMessage seems to work just fine when I'm connected to a wifi signal. Any signal. The problem seems to occur when I'm tethered to my iPhone 3GS hotspot via Bluetooth. In this mode I can browse on safari, use any of my apps that require an Internet connection and send and receive email. What I cannot do is use iMessage. It will let you press the "send" tab, but eventually I get a red exclamation mark and the "Not Delivered" message under the text. I should point out that the problem started when I upgraded to 6.0, and today's 6.1 update did not fix the problem. I've been living with the problem for a while now, but it's getting really old now. I use AT&T as a carrier if that makes any difference. Please help.

Have you tried tethering via WiFi! instead of Bluetooth?

OP
Thescatterling

Thescatterling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean. To tether the iPad to the personal hotspot broadcast by my phone I have to use bluetooth. The personal hotspot will automatically turn on the Bluetooth if you activate it and have neglected to turn the Bluetooth signal yourself. Can the phone put out a wifi signal? If so, I was unaware of it. Also, as I have stated, I have no problem connecting to the Internet with Safari, Facebook, YouTube, the email app or any of my other apps while tethered. There is a connection to the Internet. iMessage seems to be the only thing not functioning.

Last edited:

onboardpibs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there. Since you're using an iPhone 3GS, you can't tether via Wifi, only via USB and bluetooth.
Refer to the following links for details:
- AT&T Support Page: iPhone 3GS, can it be a wifi hotspot? or can it be... - AT&T Community Support
- Apple Support Page: iOS: System requirements for Personal Hotspot

As for your original issue, this is an issue with the current iOS implementation.
- Macrumors (iMessage won't send messages on iPad via bluetooth tether - MacRumors Forums)
If you skim through the forum, you'll find out that "iMessage just doesn't know to look for a server connection through bluetooth".

I, like you, am also experiencing the same issue. I hoped that the latest update (6.1) would fix this issue, but alas, based on your post it hasn't yet.

I hope apple fixes this issue ASAP. This is a minor nuisance but a nuisance none the less.

##(Sorry for the first 3 posts. The system wouldn't allow me to post anything with links unless I have 3 prior posts.)##

OP
Thescatterling

Thescatterling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
onboardpibs said:
Hi there. Since you're using an iPhone 3GS, you can't tether via Wifi, only via USB and bluetooth.
- AT&T Support Page: iPhone 3GS, can it be a wifi hotspot? or can it be... - AT&T Community Support

As for your original issue, this is an issue with the current iOS implementation.
- Macrumors (iMessage won't send messages on iPad via bluetooth tether - MacRumors Forums)
If you skim through the forum, you'll find out that "iMessage just doesn't know to look for a server connection through bluetooth".

I, like you, am also experiencing the same issue. I hoped that the latest update (6.1) would fix this issue, but alas, based on your post it hasn't yet.

I hope apple fixes this issue ASAP. This is a minor nuisance but a nuisance none the less.

##(Sorry for the first 3 posts. The system wouldn't allow me to post anything with links unless I have 3 prior posts.)##

Thanks.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

We appreciate you trying to help, but also wish you not to post in this manner just to obtain the ability to post links.

Forum Rules - Apple iPad Forum

Thanks,

Ski ~
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

OP
Thescatterling

Thescatterling

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So there is no fix for this at all? Is this a problem all iPads have when tethered via Bluetooth? Yes, it was a minor inconvenience when I thought I was just too dumb to fix it myself, but if the problem cannot be fixed it turns into a *** I'm getting p****d situation. It's absurd that they haven't fixed it.

Most reactions

Latest posts