What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agreed, and what is the purpose of the tower in the third photo?

Yellow Frangipan (genus: plumeria - it's in the dogbane family) - Tropical, can't freeze, doesn't mind droughts, and goes bare in the winter.

CAM00290small.jpg

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Andrews I tried to quote your post in here with the swoon of the beautiful woman into the dashing handsome man. As well as your post. Johanna helped me find your photo insert but for some reason I didn't get the option to insert quote while I am in edit. So, perhaps I won't look like such a ditz thanks to Johanna!
My post to your swoon photo & post is the following....
I think the picture pretty much sums it up Andrew! Well done! Diane xo
Thanks to Johanna I have the link to the post I replied too! THANKS Johanna , you're the best!
However, I made a mess of it and don't know how? o_O;):rolleyes::oops::D Would you expect anything else?:):):cool::p:D

:) Peace begins with a smile :)
- Mother Teresa.
iPad 2

Last edited:

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Each flower lasts a few days, but are replaced by others. It flowers continuously for about a month or so, and then the leaves pop out. Each leaf is about a foot long and shaped a little like a feather. Come fall, and the leaves will fall and it will go dormant. I think it does this with daylight hours more than temperature, but that's based on my own unscientific observations, so I could be mistaken. Where the flowers grow, next year it will split in two. It has soft flesh, almost like a succulent. They have a pleasant smell, and are pollinated by moths.

It's funny, we have many tropical plants that go dormant in the winter while the Oaks and other hardwoods never lose their leaves. But down here, the winter is the dry season, so I guess it's the plant's way of dealing with that.

Here is another deciduous tropical tree that flowers in the spring, Tabebuia. We planted a small one a few years ago and it bloomed in April. Each tree blooms for only a couple of weeks, so they tend to hide all year, and then say "Look at me" for short spell. I live on the top of an ancient sand dune, downhill to one side is a brackish water lagoon that is the breeding spot for many fish, and on the other side is a state wildlife preserve. So I only plant things that don't need fertilizer, herbicides or artificial irrigation. Neither of these trees (Frangipani or Tabebuia) needs any water or fertilizer after they get established. That takes about 3 years here on top of the sand dune. By then the roots hit the water table and they are on their own. (Probably more information than you wanted - sorry about that - I tend to get verbose).

My sapling (about 12'/4m tall)

Tabebuia-B-0061small.JPG

Close up of flowers:

Tabebuia-B-0061small.JPG

My neightbor's tree as it just started to bloom - it gets completely covered with the flowers but I didn't get a chance to take it's picture at peak

Tabebuia-C-0064small.jpg

Next month the night blooming Cereus Cacti will bloom. Each flower lasts one night, and they are huge. I'll try to take some pictures and post them.
Tabebuia-A-0059small.jpg

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know what happened, but the flower close up is obviously on the bottom. I opened it up to edit, and the files look proper in the edit screen.

Well, at least they all uploaded ;)

Bob

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@BobbyBoomer
The tower on my third photo was a watchtower during the time of the so called "Iron Curtain" between the Eastern bloc and the rest of Europe. It was located at the border between Austria and Hungary. The Hungarians used these to look out for people who wanted to escape to Austria.

The tower was relocated to the edge of our national park's nature zone.
Now, it's used for observing birds, or enjoying the landscape. Actually, there are two of these. One belongs to Illmitz, our neighbour village, and the other one belongs to us.

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks JA.

I've been to Hungary (wife's family is from there) but not to Austria yet. As a musician who appreciates all kinds of music (including what we call classical), Austria is an important country and is definitely on my list.

So many places to see, so little time away from work to see them. At one vacation a year, I'm going to have to live to be 200 years old to see all that I want to see.

Wish me luck.

Bob

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anhinga. This bird swims underwater and impales fish on its beak. The it pops its head out of the water, tosses the fish in the air, and catches it head first in its mouth then swallows. Sometimes called a Water Turkey because of the feathers or Snake Bird because sometimes you just see the head and neck out of the water looking a little like a snake.

They don't have oil in their feathers like ducks, which enables them to swim underwater very well. The down side of that is after a swim, then cannot fly until their wings dry out, so they awkwardly climb out of the water and spread their wings to dry.

This is a female, the male has a black head and neck. These were taken on the "Anhinga Trail" in the Everglades National Park http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhinga_Trail

Anhinga 2014-11-27d small.jpg

Anhinga 2014-11-27a small.jpg

You may notice the webbed foot grasping the branch on the lower left.

Last edited:

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't found it yet though. And I think the sign is a decoy, or else they would be bottling the water ;)

BTW, if you see the big lake near the middle of the state. we are about even with that but on the Atlantic ocean. I grew up farther south, but moved up here because extreme South Florida just got too crowded.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Each flower lasts a few days, but are replaced by others. It flowers continuously for about a month or so, and then the leaves pop out. Each leaf is about a foot long and shaped a little like a feather. Come fall, and the leaves will fall and it will go dormant. I think it does this with daylight hours more than temperature, but that's based on my own unscientific observations, so I could be mistaken. Where the flowers grow, next year it will split in two. It has soft flesh, almost like a succulent. They have a pleasant smell, and are pollinated by moths.

It's funny, we have many tropical plants that go dormant in the winter while the Oaks and other hardwoods never lose their leaves. But down here, the winter is the dry season, so I guess it's the plant's way of dealing with that.

Here is another deciduous tropical tree that flowers in the spring, Tabebuia. We planted a small one a few years ago and it bloomed in April. Each tree blooms for only a couple of weeks, so they tend to hide all year, and then say "Look at me" for short spell. I live on the top of an ancient sand dune, downhill to one side is a brackish water lagoon that is the breeding spot for many fish, and on the other side is a state wildlife preserve. So I only plant things that don't need fertilizer, herbicides or artificial irrigation. Neither of these trees (Frangipani or Tabebuia) needs any water or fertilizer after they get established. That takes about 3 years here on top of the sand dune. By then the roots hit the water table and they are on their own. (Probably more information than you wanted - sorry about that - I tend to get verbose).

My sapling (about 12'/4m tall)

View attachment 64672

Close up of flowers:

View attachment 64672

My neightbor's tree as it just started to bloom - it gets completely covered with the flowers but I didn't get a chance to take it's picture at peak

View attachment 64675

Next month the night blooming Cereus Cacti will bloom. Each flower lasts one night, and they are huge. I'll try to take some pictures and post them.View attachment 64674

Gosh, this looks like a daffodil TREE! How YUMMY is THAT!! As yummy as 80% cocoa chocolate by the boxful!
Thanks for sharing! Truly aMAZing!! xo Diane X xo.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
amazing-treehouses
This web page has some of the most amazing ( you'll see ) I have EVER seen. I must say the first picture is not far from where I live and the first time I saw it there were naked women tastefully arranged here and there as a part of the protest going on to save the old growth forest.
It is AMAZING! Just click on this link or put it in your search bar ( much easier ) I promise you will NOT be disappointed! TRY IT! YOU'LL LIKE IT!

http://www.boredpanda.com/amazing-treehouses/

Last edited:

BobbyBoomer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I never thought about that and it makes sense. I am so used to bracketing exposures on my 'real' camera and with the lack of knobs and dials on the phone, I just point focus and shoot. Now a new phone pix world is open to me!
Hey Squib - did you really dislike the post, or was that click just an accident? (Been there, done that).

Bob

Most reactions

Latest posts