What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Earth waves at Cassini

image-873175862.jpg

Image credits: NASA

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a religious connotation in mine! Thanks for cleaning it up!

dianne137

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the recent humming bird posts....fascinating especially for my 64 year old cousin from the UK who had never before seen a hummer and tolk great delight recently in my garden dropping every thing when someone would announce "hummer alert!"to rush to see my Rufus and Anna's descend from the canopy to fill their beaks and zoom around in all their glory.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I expect the birders in our midst will like the area you were in Johanna. Are their any hides near the stretches of water for bird watchers?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

There are not. In spring or autumn you often see them sitting in their cars near Darscho (that's our name for this pond) or standing next to it with cameras with large lenses. It's relatively quiet, although the street to Frauenkirchen is nearby.
We also have Lange Lacke, nature reserve since long ago, where you can watch birds as well. There you're only allowed to walk or ride a bike.

Last edited by a moderator:

ljmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just a quick reminder for the newbe hummie feeders out there.... its important in the hot days of summer to change out the sugar water every 3 or 4 days. otherwise bacteria can grow that might be harmful to our tiny chattering friends!

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To be more specific, change the feeder syrup (and clean the feeder) when it starts getting cloudy. That's bacteria growing. The birds carry it in from the flowers they visit, so there's no way to prevent or delay it. Boiling won't help. Also clean the feeder, inside and out, at any sign of black mold.

And remember, you don't have to take feeders down to persuade the hummingbirds to migrate. Some have been migrating since early July. The instinct to head south is much stronger than hunger. I leave at least one or two up until freezing becomes a problem.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

ljmart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be more specific, change the feeder syrup (and clean the feeder) when it starts getting cloudy. That's bacteria growing. The birds carry it in from the flowers they visit, so there's no way to prevent or delay it. Boiling won't help. Also clean the feeder, inside and out, at any sign of black mold.

And remember, you don't have to take feeders down to persuade the hummingbirds to migrate. Some have been migrating since early July. The instinct to head south is much stronger than hunger. I leave at least one or two up until freezing becomes a problem.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

yes great info. thanks! we want them healthy and returning year after year! i recently heard their life span is about 4 yrs... is that true? i, too, keep a feeder up well into the fall. we've seen a few bursts of extra hummies during the past month. tapers off and then more again as they are heading south!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Beatles aren't the only ones that can have a rooftop concert. image-2644990975.jpg image-1158209347.jpg

image-1890105397.jpg This is a local band called Brass Buttons.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also know U 2 - Where the streets have no name. (Actually it wasn't a concert, just for their video, but still: rooftop.)

Most reactions

Latest posts