What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm new to all this iPad stuff.

Mialily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to all this iPad stuff so bear with me. First off I'm still trying to decide if I need a laptop or a tablet (prefer iPad2). My husband & I only need something for traveling to surf the web and to download pictures.This will only be used for pleasure. We have a desktop for to do the important things we need. So I would like some feed back on what would be the best device for our use.

andysmfc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your only surfing the web and downloading pictures then the iPad is definitely what you want I've had mine about a week and love it, I use it for many things , downloading from the web being one of them and i can't fault it at all. Great piece of kit...

Jaeme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well with iPad there is the added cost for 3G, you will need this for traveling. I just got into the world of iPad myself. It's really a neat device, but it does have limitations.

I would think if you are downloading pictures and want to share with your home computer, a laptop would do this easier than the iPad. The iPad has no removable storage, but there are apps available that will assist in transfering files. This is just one minor thing I pointed out. Overall im enjoying the iPad 2. I think so far the good outweighs the bad.

Oh yea the iPads don't support flash, again there are work arounds.

I would suggest you get the ipad and if it doesnt fit your needs, take it back get the laptop.
Hope that helps

j

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Mialily - first, welcome to the forum! :) Plenty of information is already available, so 'search' is your friend!

Second, your questions are not easily answered - I bought the iPad2 (only Wi-Fi version) in April (usually carried an old IBM laptop w/ a Linux OS or my VISTA Dell laptop, so that is my background and had no problem w/ these PCs) - concerning your internet connection, if you travel to places that provide Wi-Fi (as we do), then that will be adequate; but if you want a cellular connection (e.g. in the car or elsewhere), then more money & a data plan - up to you?

Third, surfing the web can be done easily w/ the iPad - Safari is the 'native' app but I prefer 'Atomic Web', and other web apps exist - really depends on your needs; the iPad requires a combination of typing & touching the screen - awkward at first for PC users w/ a mouse but quickly an acquired skill - we also have a 'Blutetooth' Apple keyboard which I would recommend if you plan to 'type in' a lot of information (e.g. in your email responses).

Fourth, images can be downloaded and manipulated (depending on adding appropriate apps to the iPad) - you might want to provide further information on your specific needs, i.e. do you want to simply save images attached to emails or do you want to do more complicated manipulations, uploads, etc?

Bottom line for us is that the iPad can replace your PC (or Mac) laptop on the road w/ limitations, as above. Plus, the space requirements are reduced and the device does not have to be removed at airport check-ins - hope some of this information is helpful? Good luck and please post back as needed - :)

OP
M

Mialily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info. So can I remove my photos from my iPad and load them to my desktop?

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info. So can I remove my photos from my iPad and load them to my desktop?
Yes- you can do this with several apps. I use dropbox. Or you can just email pics do yourself and open them on your desktop. It is fairly easy to transfer photos though.

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to all this iPad stuff so bear with me. First off I'm still trying to decide if I need a laptop or a tablet (prefer iPad2). My husband & I only need something for traveling to surf the web and to download pictures.This will only be used for pleasure. We have a desktop for to do the important things we need. So I would like some feed back on what would be the best device for our use.

I also am fairly new. But I can share my experiences so far.
First of all I really, really like my iPad!
I have 3G and wifi, but have still not turned on the 3G. Wifi works just fine for me so far. I always make sure we stay in hotels with free wifi when we travel and we have wifi in our primary home and vacation home.

! can surf the web and check both my personal and work email. I have the Kindle app for reading, which is
awesome!
I can log into my work computer remotely on my iPad if I need to take care of any work related issues.
I have not added photos directly from my camera as yet. But I have moved photos from my pc to my iPad.
Traveling with the iPad is much easier than traveling with my laptop. However getting photos from my camera's
Sd card to my laptop is fast and easy. Not sure if it will be that easy to get them to my iPad. I need to purchase a special camera connection. Once I do that, then I will know if that is a good option.

Personally, it sounds like the iPad would work well for you. Another option might be a small netbook. However, I have heard some don't hold many photos. You can go to an Apple store or Best Buy and play with the iPad and
See how you like it.

I never take my laptop when I travel anymore...just my iPad...it is all I need.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums, I personally have been using iPads since early last year and without question it is a perfect computer to use any time. More than 80% of the time I use the iPad the only time I need the laptop has been to backup update music and Picts and r un a couple of applications not on my iPad. Every thing is fantastic... Battery life 10 plus hours plus with instant on instant Off There are great apps for newspapers reading books games recipes entertainment you name it it is all there. Cost of ownership is small customer satisfaction is high.

I have a Ipad2 wi fi and use Telstra's mobile broadband wifi device when I cannot find hotspots. This gives me flexibility and much bet ter than buying the 3G version.... This is called I think in USA myfi. It is a small battery operated wifi device with a sim card in it. One can connect upto 5 devices at once and it can be recharged from any power point.

I am sitting in an Airport right now in Albury , Victoria and yes Australia. I am smiling I can count more than a dozen iPad uses and that is only the people on this flight to Brisbane. I am on the airport free wifi so it's nice to say the least.

So go for it and again welcome to our forums.

Most reactions

Latest posts