What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idea for another use for the Ipad

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unlikely over Bluetooth. It would be interesting if the iPad could send keyboard siginals to the Mac or PC like a keyboard/trackpad but unless some 3rd party wants to write an App and driver for that I can't see Apple doing it. At best your going to need a VNC to screen control the Mini. Upside is you can also do limited remote video display.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was not a fan of the Mac Mini until I saw it in action on YouTube. People are using the Mac Mini instead of the Apple TV. The Mac Mini is much more versatile for handling digital media than the Apple TV.

Anyway another use I might employ for the iPad would be controlling the Mac Mini which could be hooked up my television. The virtual keyboard on the iPad via bluetooth.

Imagine having all your digital media etc on your tv controlling it with your iPad.
Do you mean like the iPad be the remote screen of your Mac Mini?

MRT4446

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will be my sketch pad. I've been dreaming of such a device for years now. The Touch interface will be a fantastic tool!:D
Will there be software and a stylus device for sketching and note taking?

Zane Barker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unlikely over Bluetooth. It would be interesting if the iPad could send keyboard siginals to the Mac or PC like a keyboard/trackpad but unless some 3rd party wants to write an App and driver for that I can't see Apple doing it. At best your going to need a VNC to screen control the Mini. Upside is you can also do limited remote video display.

There are already several iPhone apps that let you control your computer, and VNC only needed if you need to see what is on the computer on the iPhone/iPad. I currently use both a VNC type app for when I am away form the Mac Mini I have connected to my TV, but when home I use a different app that lets me use the touch screen as a track pad or I can use a keyboard interface in the iPhone. And those apps will work on the iPad from day one.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to know. And Apples choice to build off the iPhone App catalog once again proves wise. Think, if they hand gone with a full OS it would be unlikely those Apps would work on day 1. (personally still like having the option of seeing the screen from another room myself, or to zoom on a single element if my bad eyes can't make it out from across the room)

There are stylus pens that work on the iPhone/iPod. I need to get one myself. Pogo comes to mind as one: Pogo Stylus

I think there are developers already working on handwriting recogintion note taking apps. Apple showed off one 3rd parties painting program that's going to get the bump up to the iPad.

A lot of stuff is going to be there for the iPad day 1 just because of carry over from the iPhone, I think far more then people are really aware of.

galloschramme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cad / 3d

as an archi student, i'd like to see some apps for CAD drawing and 3D modeling
such things as VectorWorks and SketchUp would be great
iVan told there's a CAD-app for the iPhone, does someone have some experience with it?

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd worry about Sketchup. I've seen how slow it can get even on a MacBook once you start pulling in or makeing more complex components. Even with a 1 GHz processor I'd be cautious about any 3D rendering CAD program for the iPad. I'm not sure the iPad 1st gen will be up to that kind of power-user use. Maybe if you want a CAD from the late 90s in terms of rendering power/quality.

It's why I'm interested in the terminal style uses of iPad. Let a big honking centeral server/tower do the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

Most reactions