What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ICloud Drive

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
sorry for another question! When I updated my iPad2 to IOS 8.1.1 few ago, I upgraded to ICloud Drive. With the old iCloud I had a list of my Apps and could chose to store or not in iCloud. With the iCloud Drive, apart from the stock Apps, nothing is listed .
My concern is that my Social Chess archives and other Chdess videos will all get lost in future backups. Does anyone know about this, please.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll find the list in Settings - General - Usage - iCloud - Manage Storage. The location changed with iOS 8.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I know where this list is. The point is Social Chess and Chess Openings and various other Chess Apps are no longer there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A question, just to make sure what you're looking at:

On top of the stock apps that are listed, what do you read there:
Documents & Data, or Backup Options?

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In iCloud Manage DataSection, there is/are Documents and Data, which contain such things as a Journal, but there is no list of the many other Apps, including the Chess Apps, which are very important to me as one has records of all my international games. Btw, I do not have a PC, only the iPad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm also looking at my iPad. On top of the page with Documents & Data, do you see Backups and the name of your iPad below it? If so, tap it. It will lead you to the next page, where you'll find Backup Options with the apps you're missing.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't got any of that. Could it be that it it is still restoring? Will it come back after it finishes eventually? I decided to let it continue as I wasn't sure what data might be still to download apart from thePlayer I previously mentioned.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't got any of that. Could it be that it it is still restoring? Will it come back after it finishes eventually? I decided to let it continue as I wasn't sure what data might be still to download apart from thePlayer I previously mentioned.

Maybe that's why you don't find this, but I don't really know. When it's still restoring from a backup, backup options might not yet be available for you.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apparently it can take a long time, but if it doesn't by say tomorrow, I thought maybe I should erase my data and do another restore from scratch.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You won't have the data stored for your chess apps, if you set it up as new.

Do you have many songs stored on your iPad? When I restored mine the last time, it needed quite a while to restore the songs. If you purchased them in iTunes Store, you can download them from there without the backup.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I could just reset it and try and restore it from iCloud back up agiain, couldn't i?
I have only got about ten tunes! I do have complete works of Shakespeare though, and a selection of books, which at last count were stuck in the Cloud! The Chess videos take a lot of room, but they are back.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's possible to reset it. Then restoring will start all over again.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you. It might be worth a try, in case something I did, like deleting a couple of Apps or tweaking a setting might have upset it.

Most reactions

Latest posts