What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ibooks

OP
C

citiboi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I have just found out that I am able to do a direct USB transfer of files using iTunes and GoodReader. As such, I really like GoodReader as it can read .pdf files. By the way, I am using the iPad to type this comment and I must say that the keyboard is really really accurate, responsive and does allow for multiple finger typing on landscape mode.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, I have just found out that I am able to do a direct USB transfer of files using iTunes and GoodReader. As such, I really like GoodReader as it can read .pdf files. By the way, I am using the iPad to type this comment and I must say that the keyboard is really really accurate, responsive and does allow for multiple finger typing on landscape mode.

I have try good reader, but i sincerely prefer Stanza, and in my mac i use Calibre (witch is free) to transfer in my iPhone and in my iPad, i have found over the web lot of web site with free e-book and i can download it in my two device just by adding the URL

Good reader is not too bad but more as PDF reader, i don’t consider him as a e-book reader … but i am waiting iBook to see how it work , i guess it will be better as it’s Apple applictaion

OP
C

citiboi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have try good reader, but i sincerely prefer Stanza, and in my mac i use Calibre (witch is free) to transfer in my iPhone and in my iPad, i have found over the web lot of web site with free e-book and i can download it in my two device just by adding the URL

Good reader is not too bad but more as PDF reader, i don’t consider him as a e-book reader … but i am waiting iBook to see how it work , i guess it will be better as it’s Apple applictaion

I use two apps for ebooks; iBooks for .epub and GoodReader for .pdf. I use calibre to convert some .pdf to .epub. However, when I use calibre to convert magazines, strangely, the size is reduced and when I use iBooks, the print is rather small. For iBook, you can change the font size but you cannot zoom in (unlike GoodReader). As such, iBook is really for ebooks and not for magazines.

I would send you the iBooks.ipa if you can download to your iPad. Unfortunately, I think you need authorisation and I cannot let you have my cousin's ID. If you want to give it a try, I can send the iBooks.ipa to your email but you need to jailbreak your iPad (not recommended) to use it without authorisation.

You may be right that Stanza is a good app. I cannot comment because I have not used it before. Maybe I will try it later :)

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I use two apps for ebooks; iBooks for .epub and GoodReader for .pdf. I use calibre to convert some .pdf to .epub. However, when I use calibre to convert magazines, strangely, the size is reduced and when I use iBooks, the print is rather small. For iBook, you can change the font size but you cannot zoom in (unlike GoodReader). As such, iBook is really for ebooks and not for magazines.

I would send you the iBooks.ipa if you can download to your iPad. Unfortunately, I think you need authorisation and I cannot let you have my cousin's ID. If you want to give it a try, I can send the iBooks.ipa to your email but you need to jailbreak your iPad (not recommended) to use it without authorisation.

You may be right that Stanza is a good app. I cannot comment because I have not used it before. Maybe I will try it later :)

hi citiboi thanks for your proposal but i will wait, as i dare not to jailbreak my iPad , bye the way do you use two iTunes account ??

Believe me Stanza is real a must have , i have not yet try magazine so i can’t say how it work in

what’s happen with the app from different country with same account , did you try that ?

Last edited:
OP
C

citiboi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

hi citiboi thanks for your proposal but i will wait, as i dare not to jailbreak my iPad , bye the way do you use two iTunes account ??

what’s happen with the app from different country with same account , did you try that ?

Apple is pretty smart. Essentially you need a local address in whatever country you use; eg. A US address for US iTunes or in my case a Thai address for my thai iTunes. They verify your local address by the credit card billing address. So I had to use my cousin's US credit card to download the iBooks app from US iTunes in Thailand. You can access iTunes of any country wherever you are, just that you must log in with an ID for that country.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Apple is pretty smart. Essentially you need a local address in whatever country you use; eg. A US address for US iTunes or in my case a Thai address for my thai iTunes. They verify your local address by the credit card billing address. So I had to use my cousin's US credit card to download the iBooks app from US iTunes in Thailand. You can access iTunes of any country wherever you are, just that you must log in with an ID for that country.

But you can use the same ID and so have all app’s or you loose for example the thai when you switch to the use iTunes account ?

OP
C

citiboi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

But you can use the same ID and so have all app’s or you loose for example the thai when you switch to the use iTunes account ?

I am sorry. I don't understand your question. Let me explain. As you know, you need to download iBooks from US iTunes as it is not available outside US. I cannot log into the US iTunes using my account created in Thailand. I cannot create an account in the US because I need US billing address. So, I cannot access the Us iTunes to download iBooks.

As my cousin is living in US, i used her ID to log into US iTunes to download iBooks. I also needed to use my cousin's US ID to authorize my laptop so that I could transfer the iBooks to my iPad.

So, I can access Thai iTunes anywhere in the world using my Thai ID and US iTunes anywhere in the world using my cousin's US ID. As my sister is in Malaysia, if my sister allows me to use her credit card billing address in Malaysia, I will then be able to access the Malaysian iTunes using a Malaysia ID which I create using my sister's credit card.

I hope I answered your question. If not please write to me again.

OP
C

citiboi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IpadOne, once you authorize the laptop and download an app from iTunes of any country, the apps will then be saved in your laptop and you can then transfer to your iPad at any time.

Most reactions