What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBooks: is it just me or is it hell trying to find anything on there??

SunneyTehBunney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the community! I posted this on Yahoo! a while a go but thought it best to post here also. I'll just copy paste my question.

So I'm new to iBooks, I'll admit that, but I'm not technologically challenged- I swear!!*

I wasn't able to find the fantasy section (through fiction) or find any authors I'm interested in. Yes the old classics are all there , flooding the damn thing. How many times can Moby Dick or Pride and Precudice be shown?? So I read a review on the iBooks to get a better idea on how to use the app. This fellow mentioned the pros and cons and compared it to the ebooks section on Amazon etc etc. He mentioned searching for Lord of the Rings and finding it in the Epic (where the hell is that??) section. I thought, eh, maybe you were searching for books that weren't available. So I went and searched for LOTR. And to my astonishment (not!) LOTR couldn't be found. I searched by the authors name only, and nothing.*

I read somewhere else on an unrelated forum that someone was having an iBooks bookmarking issue with the Steve Jobs biography, hey why don't I search for that? I do. Nothing.*

So what the hell am I doing wrong here? Why isn't anything showing up except the junk (after an hour of looking at all the "classics" and downloading those I want to read/re-read I'm pretty much sick of them all).*

I can't be that stupid but I must me doing something wrong. I haven't been ale to find a How To guide for iBooks either, I assume no ones thought I make one since they hoped no one could be this challenged but I apparently am.*

So, some help please, I just wanted to get some new books and some I already own to read them in the comfort of my frikken iPad but it's turning out to be a disaster.*

I have iPad 1 and running on the latest OS and iBooks is updated.*

Also a bit that isn't added there, when I open iBooks and am holing my iPad horizontally, only the first shelf shows. I twist it vertically, hold it for a sec and all the shelved then appear, turn it back to horizontal and all the books are on shelves. But when I first open the app holding the pad horizontally, only the first shelf appears with all the other bottom rows floating on the black background

What the hell is that about ?

Thanx

OP
S

SunneyTehBunney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was just posted on Yahoo Answers

I'm not sure what's up, to be honest. I don't use iBooks (I have a Kindle and use the Kindle Reader app on my iPad), but I fired it up to see if I had the same result, and I didn't. I did a search for Lord of the Rings and it popped right up. When I went to Biographies, the Steve Jobs title was featured. I also have the iPad 1 and just upgraded the OS today, so we should be matching.

You might try uninstalling iBooks and then reinstalling it. I looked under Settings and didn't see anything that looked relevant, so it's possible you've somehow set it to search only in public domain books. Uninstalling and reinstalling should wipe those preferences. You could also try shopping the Books section of iTunes from your computer and then downloading the books to your iPad and see if that somehow makes it change its settings. Also, try browsing the Mobile Read forums at www DOT mobileread DOT com and see if there are any relevant FAQs - they're a great resource in general.

I did what she said and I can't find any setting like she's mentioned where it searched public domain only. But I tell you what all the books I can see are free nothing to purchase so maybe it is something like that

I've also I got an iPhone 4s so I downloaded iBooks there and searched. Same thing. Found nothing. I don't even see J R R Tolkien in the list of authors. This isn't about Lord of the firkin rings but it's the example I'm going by and I've got nothing. I did synch my iBooks but the synch hasn't happened yet so I'm sure the settings on the iPad haven't affected the iPhone

OP
S

SunneyTehBunney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me again. Well, if you look to the left for my personal info, you'll see that I am from Istanbul, Turkey. This is the problem, isn't it? I've been reading and saw that some countries, even Germany, are blocked from the iBooks store and that they can only see the free context. This must be it

Well I'm downloading Kindle now and we'll see what happens.

If this isn't the reason or there is a work around please let me know. I've wasted the past 3 hours on this

OP
S

SunneyTehBunney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll just vomit now. It won't even let me download kindle. I have the amazon store app and I followed the link thru there to the app store and it said it couldn't continue. When I search for it manually it doesnt show up on the AppStore. When I searched from google in safari and went to the AppStore page it still wouldn't work. **** you Apple. That's all I've got to say.

I've got Kobo now. We'll see how this goes. But this is the most pathetic things I've ever seen in my life my God.

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How about a full turn off power and on again.
It fixes most jam ups
Hold the top right button until a red slide appears.
Slide it to off and wait till fully blank screen .about 30 seconds.
Then press the same button holding,
till the silver apple appears .
Then let go and wait
After about one minute it will fire up again.
This helps when apps are acting up or stalled.
Let me know how you go.
No fear!!!

OP
S

SunneyTehBunney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried that several times. Even. Deleted and reinstalled. It seems to be a regional issue Turkey is blocked. Kindle is blocked too. XXXXXXXX Using Kobo now.

PLEASE MIND YOUR LANGUAGE....THIS IS A FAMILY FORUM....AS PER FORUM RULES...

Last edited by a moderator:

britpoper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOL, it probably the regional restriction just like you said.
For instance, I can't buy/browse Songs in iTunes since I'm from Indonesia. I only can browse Applications, Books, ItunesU and Podcasts.

Most reactions