What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iBook vs Kindle

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have finished reading my first book and have downloaded 2 textbooks in the Kindle app. I have read 4-5 books now in the iBooks.

I must say I like the iBook better. iBook looks more like a book. I like that it has the page numbers at the bottom and the number of pages left in the chapter. Even the way the pages turn for me was a better experience.

The Kindle was fine, but there were a few irritating things. I don't understand the location function at the bottom. It makes no sense to me. The table of contents do not have page numbers, so when I am planning my textbook reading, I have no idea how long it will take. Highlighting is a real pain, I keep turning the page instead of getting what I want highlighted.

I think the readability for both apps was the similar. I just find I like the way iBooks feels, hard to explain why, it just feels better. The Kindle definitely has a larger selection of books, but it has had a head start. The PDF function in iBooks is nice, puts everything I need in one place.

I think I will stay primarily with iBooks, and will only use the Kindle when I can't get the books from the iBook store.

I am just curious what others think?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My reading is almost completely recreational so I am still a huge Kindle fan because there is so much more content available from Amazon than Apple... for now. I also like the fact that I can buy stuff from Amazon on any computer anywhere at any time and add it to my library, but with iBooks, I can only download content from my iPad.

As far as no page numbers, this is because you can change the font size. By increasing or decreasing the font size, this will ultimately determine how many pages are in the book so there is no easy way to accurately keep track of the page numbers!

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I prefer the kindle app. But I really prefer the actual kindle. I have never been all that disturbed by the location numbers. I can read location numbers now, it is like converting Celsius and Fahrenheit. I prefer Fahrenheit but I understand Celsius.

I actually prefer it not looking like a book. I think the graphics get in the way of the text.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I think both apps are good, and give a good reader experience. They are different enough that they can appeal to different people, and therefore give choice. I use Stanza most of the time because I like to set my own margins, have quick backlight adjustment, and in general tweak the formatting. But, I realize that most are not like me, so iBooks and Kindle are a good fit. For me iBooks and Kindle are equal, just different.

The weakest to me at this point on the iPad is the Kobo app. It is still unstable, even after updates. If you just go in a read it works fine. But, if you switch books a few times, change menus....etc... it crashes after a few times.....

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also use the B&N reader app. It's great to have 3 easy options to choose from for price checking books.

OP
C

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also use the B&N reader app. It's great to have 3 easy options to choose from for price checking books.

But have you really found that there is a difference in price. So far, every e-book I have looked for that is available in both iBooks and Amazon is the the same price.

More often, I find Amazon has the book and iBooks does not. I have not used the B&N reader.

My biggest problem is that I really don't want books scatter all over the iPad. I want to open 1 program and read them all. I don't have multiple music players, why should I need multiple book readers.

Oh yea, the stupid DRM!!!

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I don't have a better answer, what you are seeing is an industry that is hundreds of years old trying its best(?) to adapt its distribution methods to the 21st century.

And libraries are no better. Unfortunately Adobe got their foot in the door first with Adobe Digital Editions which is, of course, Flash based which furthermore means that the entire Apple family of products is technically locked out. Close to 4 million iPads have been sold to say nothing of the number of iPhones and iPod Touch units out there so the libraries have really shot themselves in the foot on this one.

While there is a way to "unwrap" Adobe's ADEPT (Adobe Digital Experience Protection Technology) from Adobe ePubs, it requires some degree of computer literacy to set it up. But once installed, it literally only takes seconds to perform this task... or so I am told!

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score

But have you really found that there is a difference in price. So far, every e-book I have looked for that is available in both iBooks and Amazon is the the same price.

More often, I find Amazon has the book and iBooks does not. I have not used the B&N reader.

My biggest problem is that I really don't want books scatter all over the iPad. I want to open 1 program and read them all. I don't have multiple music players, why should I need multiple book readers.

The main reason I use the B&N reader is because I still use my nook when I am outside. Also Amazon and B&N have more books then iBooks.

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Search function for ibooks & Kindle app

Unsure if this is the right place for this--I am new>

Trying to decide between iPad & Kindle 3. I love mysteries.

I have a search function in my Kindle for PC that when I highlight a word (not type it, just highlight it), and hit search, all of the references to that word BEFORE my place in the book and then AFTER that place are shown to me. I use that to remember the different characters in a mystery who come and go throughout the book.

1st question: do iBooks have that search feature:
2nd question: do Kindle books on an iPad using the Kindle app have the search feature.

Do I understand correctly now that there is a dictionary for iBooks and Kindle books on iPad, used by touch?

Thanks so much.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes for iBooks. The Kindle reader currently does not direct search on a word but the definition comes up as soon as you tap on it. You can easily copy and past any word into the search feature and I am sure a future Kindle app update will have exactly what you are looking for.

I have owned a Nook for 9 months and enjoyed it very much, but now that I have an iPad I only use it when I read outside. There are also so many brightness and background color adjustments that I don't have any issues with eye strain. I even wrote this note on my iPad!

The iPad is so versatile I think you will be surprised at how good of an ereader it can be.

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

Any ideas about the dictionary for iBooks and Kindle books on iPad, used by touch?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the current version of iBooks, when you select a word (by highlighting it in a "magnifying glass"), a bar comes up and gives you a choice of:

1) Copying the word to your "clipboard" so you can paste it somewhere else in another app.
2) Getting the dictionary definition in a small pop-up box.
3) Highlighting the word as if you were using a highlighter. (This can be removed later)
4) Adding a note to the word. (This can also be removed later)
5) Search for that word in the document.

With the current version of the Kindle app, when you select a word, a brief dictionary definition automatically comes up at the bottom of the screen (with the option for a full definition on a new page) whether you want it to or not. A bar will also come up that gives you the choice of attaching a note to the word or highlighting it as in iBooks. And as has been said, even though the Kindle app does have a search function, it is a separate action and requires you to type in the word yourself. I can not see an option to copy the word and paste it somewhere else, but that could just be me!

Honestly, the only thing keeping the Kindle app ahead of iBooks in terms of the overall "purchasing experience" is the depth and breadth of their content and I do not foresee Apple catching up to them any time soon... unless they buy Amazon! (Hey, it could happen!) As far as the "reading experience", I actually do like the iBooks prsentation better than Kindle.

Last edited:

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that in depth response! I am now convinced--I want an iPad.

One last question :)

If you buy an app and later unregister the iPad you own and get another one, can I get that same app back for no charge?

ALSO:

Trying to decide on the 16 gb vs the 32 gb for the $100 more. Any thoughts on how helpful the extra 16 gb is.

Glad I found this forum.

Most reactions