What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think I broke my iPad!

Emileb420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the last week or so, I've been having a lot of "springboard crashes".
The screen goes black, then comes back with the icons all moved around and a warning screen comes up saying something about springboard having crashed and now is running in safe mode. This has been happening several times a day.

Now, for the last two days, most of my apps have been crashing. They close in the middle of using them. I had to log onto the forums on my laptop because I couldn't get thru typing this message on my iPad without the IPF app crashing.

I've tried deleting the last couple of cydia apps I installed, but I have no idea if it is just one tweak thats doing it, or all of them or what.

Do I need to reload everything on my iPad to do fix this? If so, can someone point me towards proper instructions. I'm wondering if I'll have to go thru and reinstall all my cydia tweaks again etc....

OP
E

Emileb420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's ok, I'm not in full panic mode yet! Lol

I know there will be a way to fix it. Our awesome ipf crew will shortly sweep in to save the day, I'm sure!

:)

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah full restore may mend the iPad but it will no longer be jail broken, I'm sure someone who knows about jb will help you.

OP
E

Emileb420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I might have stumbled on the solution to my app crashing problems on my own. I decided to start uninstalling my cydia apps and tweaks, to see if I might catch the trouble maker. I found that I had installed a tweak to add spell checking to text fields as you are typing, and I had forgotten about it since then. I realized that most if not all of my app crashes were happening as I was typing. I have deleted it, and now (fingers crossed), it seems to be fixed. I just finished a long blog posting, and have now typed this entire message in my iPad, and no crashes. If, after a day or so, the problem doesn't return, I will call this problem solved.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh.

Weird thing is, I have Inspell installed and it runs fine. In fact, it's one of my favorite Cydia things because it doesn't auto-correct ... it just underlines a misspelled word for you to select and change should you wish. It works even in Safari...

I'm not doubting that Inspell was your problem, mind you, cause I know not all Cydia stuff plays well with other stuff.

I'm just wondering what was/is different about your set-up...

Marilyn

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Emileb420 said:

I think I had same issue with that same app and got rid of it immediately..lmao
Deleting last installed Cydia tweaks usually resolves any new issues found.

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emileb420 said:

So you were using a cracked incompatible version of a paid Cydia app and wondered why you were having stability problems... Shame on you. Time to re-read the forum rules...

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
So you were using a cracked incompatible version of a paid Cydia app and wondered why you were having stability problems... Shame on you. Time to re-read the forum rules...

Learned something new. ;-)

Reaction score
Demandarin said:
How can you tell if a Cydia app is cracked, that you're installing? I didn't know people hacked the hackers apps..lmao I thought only cracked apps came from that one place( which u know I can't say but should know what I'm talking about). And those are only apps from the app store not Cydia apps. So u saying some Cydia repos give u access to cracked Cydia apps as well? Don't even answer, I guess as seen, u can somehow. Learned something new. ;-)

It is usually pretty obvious when you are installing a cracked app, as Cydia shows you the repo source and most illegal repo's use a straightforward name to identify themselves as illegal. Anyway, in stock Cydia you won't find any cracked apps. At least not that I know off; I don't have a jb iPad to test.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. Guess that probably explains why my Inspell works fine? It's from the BigBoss repository that's standard on Cydia (and I paid $3.99 for it).

At least now I feel better, knowing that I probably don't have to worry about my Inspell causing problems (which it hasn't ... but still).

And, I still find it to be an awesome package and well worth the price. You get all the spelling check features, with NONE of the auto-correct problems. Can't recommend it enough, actually, if you're ... pedantic like me.

Marilyn

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm..thanks, as I never came across those repo's or am trying to. I was just curious as to how you would know, if it wasn't stated in the app description.

Most reactions

Latest posts