What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I-Message two Ipad2's Iphone 4 same ID PLEASE Someone help....

russjuly17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Ive had my Iphone for a year and love it, we each have an Ipad 2 love it as well. We share the same Apple Id since we are in the same house and we can share apps. We upgraded all our devices to iOS5 and the i-message is causing some headache. Is it possible to have assign our other Ipad a new ID so the i-message will not interact with all devices? I cant find any info on that.

Thank you

TrxSlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think all you need to do is sign out of each device and iTunes then on iTunes on your device scroll all the way to the bottom and I think you can create a new account. Apps are no problem, when they need an update log off the new Id then log on the Id you bought the apps with and update, then log out and log back in with the new account. I did this with an app I bought on my wife's iPod and added the app to my ipad2.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

TrxSlash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, double checked. Just log out of the current account. Then click sign in, the use existing or create new account options pop up. Click, create new. Then bingo bango bongo, ya got it.

Oh, all this is some in the iTunes app on your device. The login button, is all the way at the bottom on the left, it will have your current id in the box.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
R

russjuly17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@TrxSlash Thank You

We will be home in a few and I am excited to try this! Again Thank You

Now if I could just get my Wifi Sync to work everything would be GRrreat!!!

dawz2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same issue. The message I sent to a friend also showed as if I sent it from my wife's iPad. All I did was change the email address in the settings and kept the same ID. I hope this helps. I attached an image of what I mean.

image-2527266930.png

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you definitely should not be changing your iTunes account to resolve this problem.
It is a simple setting in the iMessage app, which you can get to through the main iPad Settings app. You just set up a different ID for each device and that is how you address them, just like dawz2 suggested...

garanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have separate email addresses then it can done quite easily, see below.

[h=1]How to Make iMessage Work Better Across Multiple Devices[/h]My significant other and I share and iTunes account (don't tell!), so after I updated my iPad and her iPhone, she started receiving all my iMessages. Whoops! Turns out, though, it's easy to associate different identities to different devices in iMessages, even if they share the same Apple ID—handy if you share an account with someone, have multiple iDevices of your own and want to set up separate buckets, or just want to change the address you send or receive message from (your "Caller ID"). Here's how.
[h=3]Associate a New Email with iMessage on Your Device[/h]
  1. Everything you need to do lives in the Messages tab of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch's Settings app, so launch Settings and tap on Messages.
  2. By default, iMessage will receive messages via your Apple ID email address and, if you have an iPhone, your phone number. That's why, for example, my wife was getting my iMessages. You can't remove an email address until you've replaced it, so from the Messages setting, tap Receive At > Add Another Email.
  3. Type in the new email address you'd like to associate with that device.
  4. Once the email's been entered, Apple will send a verification email to that address. When you receive it, just click the activation link and the new address will now be linked to that device.
  5. Finally, you can remove the original association by tapping the email address you want to remove and then tapping Remove This Email.
Pretty simple, right? That took care of my problem (now my wife doesn't get my iMessages), associates her iMessage with her email address, and we can continue blissfully enjoying a shared iTunes account.

Most reactions