What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I know I'm an idiot, but I need help if possible.

Mike_Dee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Prior to going on vacation 2 weeks ago, I set a screen PW, and didn't write it down. I contacted Apple Support, and they wanted to charge me $30 to reset it using "forced restore" That was the only hint the guy would give me. Please save me from having to spend $30 to get my iPad back.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no way to get around the pass code unless you have a backup you made just prior to when you did that. Other wise you will more than likely loose any information you put on your iPad since then.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The forced restore is nothing more than a restore using iTunes. It will erase everything on the iPad. Apple can not bypass the password either, at least not customer service. You do not need Apple to do that for you. Just a computer and the most recent version of iTunes.

Anything that would bypass the password is a security issue. Apple is not going to advertise those exist, whether they do or not.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you remember if you set the auto erase after so many failed attempts? Otherwise just try common numbers in your life, addresses, birth dates,ATM pin, etc. I would think most people subconsciously would make numeric passwords that have some sort of meaning.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have trouble remembering your passwords,you could write them all down and store the list someplace safe,such as a safety deposit box at your bank.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have trouble remembering your passwords,you could write them all down and store the list someplace safe,such as a safety deposit box at your bank.

Or a sticky note on the bottom of your iPad :)

Seriously, though, a safety deposit box? It's the 21st century....get a password manager. For example, I've been using LastPass for quite awhile. In addition to keeping my passwords for various sites I am a member of, I can manually add things like the password to my phone or iPad (so if I ever forget it, I can go to my password vault in a browser and look it up). Of course, it does require you remembering the password to your vault....so make sure you put that on a sticky note attached to your monitor (seriously...don't do that).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
EvilMonkey said:
Or a sticky note on the bottom of your iPad :)

Seriously, though, a safety deposit box? It's the 21st century....get a password manager. For example, I've been using LastPass for quite awhile. In addition to keeping my passwords for various sites I am a member of, I can manually add things like the password to my phone or iPad (so if I ever forget it, I can go to my password vault in a browser and look it up). Of course, it does require you remembering the password to your vault....so make sure you put that on a sticky note attached to your monitor (seriously...don't do that).

If you do put your password on a sticky note,you should't hide the anywhere near your computer or where you normally use or store your iPad.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you do put your password on a sticky note,you should't hide the anywhere near your computer or where you normally use or store your iPad.

Yeah, that's why I put the smilie and later said "seriously, don't do that"

Most reactions