What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I knew I wasn't crazy! There is a problem with some WiFi only iPads!

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tuttle said:
As I understand the article, Apple has a default setting on the wifi adapter to economize power that is required for other things such as the retina screen and more powerful processor. So---you might try resetting even though you have just done a reinstall. Possibly the reinstall defaulted to the same setting. Sorry I don't have a link to the ews story. Saw it in Flipboard, Apps section with a link to the App Advice story, but couldn't copy the link.

P.S. Here is the link: http://t.co/ZmqE81Sb

Thank you so much for that link! I have performed the reset and I'm testing the connection now.

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
taddle said:
Anybody heard of any sort of serial number range or anything that I can check against when I leave the apple store after I buy an iPad?

Google your model number and the results will tell you exactly what you have.

The Archangel

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No issues here in fact mine is stronger on both wifi networks I connect to. I used speed test to verify the iPad 2 and new iPad. The new iPad was faster by about 5 mb per sec and both have no drop outs . The issue affects a small Number of users

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
It might have been my imagination that it wouldn't read any discs but I doubt it. Lol.

The replacement has been fine for a year and a half though.

The point is it happens to every company.

Sorry not commenting about your problem. I know you got that :) Just a general statement of what happens on all forums when new products are introduced.

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drathbun said:
Thank you so much for that link! I have performed the reset and I'm testing the connection now.

Constant use for 2.5 hours now with no dropouts and strong speed test numbers. Seems to be the solution!

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry not commenting about your problem. I know you got that :) Just a general statement of what happens on all forums when new products are introduced.

Or new firmware. I may be new here but I travel among many other forums.

Kamakzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drathbun said:
Constant use for 2.5 hours now with no dropouts and strong speed test numbers. Seems to be the solution!

I'm so happy to see that you found a fix for your issue.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry, is it just me, or does anybody else think this is kind of weird?

Why would a reset do anything but return it to original 5.1, as it was shipped. I can see something corrupting it, which then causes the problem, and resetting returns it to the original factory settings and for battery management as well.

taddle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
England, United Kingdom, the Northern Hemisphere,
I'm sorry, is it just me, or does anybody else think this is kind of weird? Why would a reset do anything but return it to original 5.1, as it was shipped. I can see something corrupting it, which then causes the problem, and resetting returns it to the original factory settings and for battery management as well.
Resetting the firmware is different to a factory reset. When the factory ships the iPad, it is configured to the way apple requests, so a "factory reset" resets it to the way you got it, however, a firmware reset resets the actual firmware to the basic settings.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PaulCarleton said:
I'm sorry, is it just me, or does anybody else think this is kind of weird?

Why would a reset do anything but return it to original 5.1, as it was shipped. I can see something corrupting it, which then causes the problem, and resetting returns it to the original factory settings and for battery management as well.

Not really. The program defaults are not the same as the reset defaults. The likely answer is that most of us are just fine on lower power wifi. I have always enjoyed superior strength and amazing range from my WAPs.

Most reactions