What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got off the phone with ATT

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I just got off the phone with ATT about the email they sent me saying that there ipad site was volnerable and that my email address and ICC-ID number could have been collected by a hacker.

I say ok, whatever, about the email address since Its not really a personal address but att CAN and SHOULD do something about the ICC-ID leaking into peoples hand. Replace my simcard and give me a new ICC-ID, problem soved.

They said If I wanted I could go into an ATT corporate store and swap the simcard but #1 they would make me pay for a new one and #2 I would have to register a new account and would no longer be able to get the unlimited data plan.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow they are really bending over backwards to keep you happy aren't they!

I do not understand the loyalty that Apple has to ATT. I would order an iPhone today if I could put it on Verizon and I would have ordered a 3G iPad also.

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow they are really bending over backwards to keep you happy aren't they!

I do not understand the loyalty that Apple has to ATT. I would order an iPhone today if I could put it on Verizon and I would have ordered a 3G iPad also.

Unfortunately it seems as though AT&T's strategy is to take advantage of as many people as they can while they have them under an exclusive, and they can't do anything about it. Because when another carrier is in the mix, as many people that can (out of contract), will, bail from AT&T.

A smarter strategy might have been to...oh, I dunno, provide some actual customer service, stop nickel & diming and gouging everyone, and maybe people will stay because they've had a somewhat pleasant experience. From coverage standpoint, unlike other people, mine has been pretty good...and I do travel occasionally. Buying the iPhone 4 is bittersweet for me in that I know I'm locking into them for another 24 months. If another carrier has a batter way to go, I may eat an early term prorated fee just to be done with them....

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I stopped by a local AT&T corporate store and supprisingly there nice helpful manager that issued me a new microsimcard for free waving the $16 price.

They moved my account over to the new simcard so that I could keep my unlimited data plan like I wanted to.

I was in and out of the store in less than 10 minutes. They let me keep my old simcard as well. (I can use it for tracing and cutting regulare sized simcards down to micro size.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
Unlocking an iPhone 4?

There's a certain synchronicity with your entry and I'm glad it had a good outcome. I, too, just got off the phone with AT&T because I'm trying to figure out if buying the iPhone 4 I currently have reserved is even worth it, because...

Starting March of next year, I'm going to be traveling outside the US for at least a year. So there's little reason to keep my current account active with AT&T (once I'm on the road) just on the off chance I might get a phone call. At least, not for $70-80/month.

But then I started to wonder if once I'm ready to leave, to just pay the early termination fee, and then just jail break the phone.

My question is: If I buy the iPhone 4, which is tied to AT&T, does jail breaking it "unlock" it, allowing me to (a) use any country's microSIM, and (b) continue to use all my existing apps?

I know this has been talked about elsewhere in the forums, but I don't think I've read anywhere that jail breaking also unlocks the iPhone, thus letting me use it in any country. That's what I need to know. (And would certainly be interested in hearing from anyone who's actually already done this, obviously not with an iPhone 4, but has successfully bought an iPhone in the US and then used it with other country's SIM cards.)

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
There's a certain synchronicity with your entry and I'm glad it had a good outcome. I, too, just got off the phone with AT&T because I'm trying to figure out if buying the iPhone 4 I currently have reserved is even worth it, because...

Starting March of next year, I'm going to be traveling outside the US for at least a year. So there's little reason to keep my current account active with AT&T (once I'm on the road) just on the off chance I might get a phone call. At least, not for $70-80/month.

But then I started to wonder if once I'm ready to leave, to just pay the early termination fee, and then just jail break the phone.

My question is: If I buy the iPhone 4, which is tied to AT&T, does jail breaking it "unlock" it, allowing me to (a) use any country's microSIM, and (b) continue to use all my existing apps?

I know this has been talked about elsewhere in the forums, but I don't think I've read anywhere that jail breaking also unlocks the iPhone, thus letting me use it in any country. That's what I need to know. (And would certainly be interested in hearing from anyone who's actually already done this, obviously not with an iPhone 4, but has successfully bought an iPhone in the US and then used it with other country's SIM cards.)

jailbreaking and unlocking are two separate things. jailbreaking simply means to allow unauthorized apps to be installed on the device. Unlocking allows the phone to be used with other GSM carrier simcards. It will probably be a few months at least before the iPhone 4 see's any sort of unlock. A jailbreak could possibly be available within a few days.

Also keep in mind that AT&T just within the last few weeks increased their early termination fee to around $325 in anticipation for the new iPhone 4.

Good news though is the apple is now starting to sell factory unlocked iPhone 3GS's and iPhone 4's both online and in international store in a few countries like canada. If you really want the iphone 4 and WILL be cancling put the $325 you would be spending for an early termination fee with att and just buy a factory unlocked device from apple online store at full price.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
How 'bout this...

Thanks for JB vs unlock distintion, glad I asked!

Let me pose this question. If you were me and...

You knew you would be in the UK (also France and The Netherlands) in just a few weeks and could presumably buy an iPhone 4 somewhere in Europe, and also

You knew starting next March you would be traveling outside the US for over a year so buying the iPhone 4 now in the US would mean living with a locked phone but in the short run it would give you the iPhone 4 in all its glory,

Which path would you take? And if you take the "buy in the EU" path, do you know if I can use my current SIM card in that iPhone?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would just buy it where I could get it the soonest because it can be unlocked for a carrier.

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I would just buy it where I could get it the soonest because it can be unlocked for a carrier.

I wouldnt do that. No one know how long it will be before an unlock is available for the phone. Each iPhone has taking a little while before an unlock method was found.

I would look into buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4 from apple. You will pay full price for the phone but it will always be unlocked to work on any GSM carrier and your also not locked into a 2 year contract.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, but iOS has already been jailbroken, so if he's going to be gone an entire year, I would buy it where I know I would be or know I could get it to work, and worry about it later. A year is a long time in the tech industry, especially cell phones.

Besides, apparently according to what Numblock posted earlier today, places like Canada are selling them completely unlocked.

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Besides, apparently according to what Numblock posted earlier today, places like Canada are selling them completely unlocked.

Yeah if you buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4 from apple it will always work with any carrier, no need to jailbreak or run unlocking hacks.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
Well, if I buy an unlocked iPhone, can I put my 3G's microSIM card in and expect it to work or are there controls built-in that would say "You're not on an AT&T iPhone so I won't work." I mean, if I can get it to work, then I might as well wait to buy it in the EU and have an unlocked iPhone from day one, right?

Oops:
...if you buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4 from apple it will always work with any carrier, no need to jailbreak or run unlocking hacks.
MikesTooLz got in while I was writing this. So it looks like this is may be my best approach.

Last edited:
OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Well, if I buy an unlocked iPhone, can I put my 3G's microSIM card in and expect it to work or are there controls built-in that would say "You're not on an AT&T iPhone so I won't work." I mean, if I can get it to work, then I might as well wait to buy it in the EU and have an unlocked iPhone from day one, right?

Oops:
...if you buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4 from apple it will always work with any carrier, no need to jailbreak or run unlocking hacks.
MikesTooLz got in while I was writing this. So it looks like this is may be my best approach.

Unlocked iPhone 4 would work with any carrier microSIM, OR if you have a regular sized sim you could trim of the plastic so that it fits and that would work as well.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Att

I stopped by a local AT&T corporate store and supprisingly there nice helpful manager that issued me a new microsimcard for free waving the $16 price.

They moved my account over to the new simcard so that I could keep my unlimited data plan like I wanted to.

I was in and out of the store in less than 10 minutes. They let me keep my old simcard as well. (I can use it for tracing and cutting regulare sized simcards down to micro size.
One thing I learned along the way was to deal with a person face-to-face instead of over the phone. Much better result. Lots harder for them to say NO.

Most reactions