What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have searched help and this topic but cant find any reference so here i am.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Back again for a long while I hope! So, here is what I know about the POWER in this house! IT SUCKS. And I have lived here for 18 years!, we had neighbors who wereNOT happy about my bunny explosion. He actually ACCUSED my rabbit as attacking and ASSAULT TO COMMIT HOMOCIDE BY my little bunny in the face of his big dog!! He wanted to sue me, saying I had to pay HIS vet bills, pain and suffering etc because my little bunny attacked his DOG!! Lucky for me that went nowhere fast! Except for the " Wasskily WABBITS in Whonnock " on the front 1/2 page of our local newspaper.
Sorry, I am wandering all over the place, off topic and many other atrocities I am sure. I am having a head time breathing and my pulse is 98 beats per min. So I have a hard time concentrating.
Anyway, that neighbor was PO-Ed ( am I allowed to say that? ) because there was a bidding war on this heap of junk on the most beautiful acres on earth. Well, e Rey morning at 6 AM he listened to some favorite sports station on the radio. Before I knew that little tidbit I would tip toe thru the house trying to find the radio to shut it OFF! I never found it! One day he was being neighborly and told me that the grounding on this house was screwed up and all I had to do was go to the hardware store and buy some sall gizmo that I could attach to the .. I have no idea about electrical systems, except when they don't work! I asked him to buy it, I would re-I bourse him and let him attach it to whatever. The weird thing was - he NEVER DID THAT! Instead he complained daily about the static on his radio and I learned that everytime I put my head on the pillow I would hear voices that aggravated me.
They finally moved and then the sweetest couple moved next door. Each of us on this side of the street has an acre. On the other side of the street it is three or more acres
We live in a rainforest....it is always humid and the lines from the street fill up with water and the power gets worse in consecutive ratio! I told them about the radio problem and the male half of the couple was nice enough to either not turn the radio on, or moved it to the other end of the house. To this DAY, if it is raining really hard or someone run water thru the taps I can STILL hear voices! Once in a while I get lucky and it is music!
,in 1996 I decide to buy another computer., my roommate worked for an national Canadian store. Out of business now but Scifan would know it well. The first four PC's they sent me, I thought were flawed. So, I kept switching brands and got the same result. So I joined a forum and they suggested a really good UPS with a battery. I got one from MGE and was trouble free after that! Except for the norm.
Also, our lights flicker all the time! The clocks lose or gain time, mostly lose tho' and my digital phone which is on the same circuit as my IPad goes nuts after a big rain, no one can hear me during a conversation, I hear them saying Diane? Diane? Where'd you go and then they hang up! In the meantime I am yelling I am here , I'm HERE, then click! Now after many heavy days of rain my phone is doing something NEW! No one but me who only can hear a loud crackling like some one is scrunching cellophane in my ear while I try to hear what the other person is saying. My lamp, which is on same circuit, blows out a bulb about once a month!
So, now to add co
N fusion to the mix, I jus spoke briefly to an IT Tech, who said the power pack has something in it that will protect my battery but it would be a great idea, for my mind a MUST, to get a power protection device, I forget the name of the manufacturer, three letters but not MGE. MORE like P—A or APC? I will figure that out. He also told me to get an online protector! I have never heard of this, is it related to mobiles? I can check it out am now losing all energy again! If ANYONE remembers the end of those old movies where the white and black dots are every where then they will be able to imagine what I see just before I get the snowy white and then FOR ME I am about 3 sec.s from sinking deep into shock and non- responsive.
What really bugs me at that point is I am 100% paralyzed and some well meaning friend who gets me to emerg. Tells the Staff that he is my husband, or she is my sister and I can HEAR every word they say! So someone who has NO business making decisions for me is ALLOWED to!!
Sometimes I go completely OUT and can only hear about the last minute of a comatose state!
Is there a Doctor in the house?
The reason this is so long and rambling is because I have TOO much adrenaline, hence the monologue, and if it keeps building I am back to the white light again and ready to crash.
The reason I told you this last bit is to say THANK YOU ALL, because if I can distract myself I am more likely to recover more quickly! So TRIPLE THANKS GUYS, this is a blessing, a refuge where I can go when I am teeter-totting between those states, and if you have read to this point, go and buy a lottery ticket because the powers that be are cheering you on for helping some one in dire straits! My HERO's! Thanks doesn't cut it but it is all I have!

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take care, Diane! Think of all the people who like you, including your friends here. I do hope you're feeling better soon.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's quite the story, and I enjoyed reading it.

There is indeed a company named APC who make UPSes. They have a pretty good reputation. If all you are going to do is use it for the iPad and other small devices for charging, the smallest (least capacity) one should do fine.

I checked Amazon and found the APC BE350G UPS System, which should be fine for protecting your iPad. Hold in mind it might do some beeping of its own when power gets bad. Most UPS devices will beep when they lose power, or the power is really bad.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, glad you liked the story! I was worried it was way too much info and you all have more important things to do. So I really am glad you said that.

Ok, after I wrote that I took the iPad to the computer and plugged it in. Then I crashed and just came to a few minutes ago! I love it when I have a long natural sleep because it usually means I will be stable for a few days, thank goodness. Anyway, there are no BEEBS!! And! is charged to 100%! YIPPEE. So, yes as usual you are right, I will just use it during the day in bed and take 10 steps (that's a big trip for me! :) ) to the computer and leave it there at night, until I get a power bar - another request to all the people in my area to do another thing. For me! I sure hope I get well enough to give back! And I guess all I can do for you is to just keep saying THANK YOU!
I'm so relaxed I feel like I'm on drugs, but I'm not.....my heart rate is just down to about 100 and that feels great in comparison to what it usually is! If there is a Doctor somewhere on this site and they know anything I can take to bring my HR down but not my BP I would be ,well there is no word for it. I can have the laser re calibration because my heart is fine. My HR is a function of my SNS and ANS reacting to the pain. Kind of like being in shock or on the verge of it all the time.
Well,I am smiling wide now guys! My iPad no longer has that buzzing feeling when I touch the back of it. It feels very very healthy too! WHOOOHOOO , now you know more about me than my family does! Health wise anyway. Again I can't say it enough, THANK YOU! Sincerely, Squib.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I'm glad you are feeling better and hope you continue to improve.

As for the iPad, maybe you can get someone to run an extension cord from the computer's UPS to where you want the iPad's power supply to be plugged in. Just until you have the better solution.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Two more good ideas! . Do you know if there is a thread about how low people have let their battery %'s go to? I have been searching but haven't found one yet? Thanks, Squib. I sure appreciate you hanging in there last night. I haven't even read it yet and don't remember what I said! That could be interesting! :)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know of any thread on that subject, but the iPad will shut itself down before the battery gets low enough to cause damage. You'll get a couple of warning long before that, starting at 10% if memory serves. I've let my iPad shut itself down on a couple of occasions without issues; except that you need to let it charge for several minutes before it will power back up; even if it is plugged in.

I was up anyway, so no thanks needed. I rarely get to bed before 11PM local time. I keep meaning to go to bed earlier, but never seem to feel tired on schedule. ;)

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Sqib,

I'm relieved to learn that things are getting better in a number of areas. I was very concerned to read of your troubles.

Like TP, I have run my iPad battery down till it shuts off - usually with 2% battery life left. There are no ill effects that I can detect once it is charged back up.

I never forget the advice that rechargeable batteries need to be run down flat and then recharged when they are first purchased. Repeat the circle a couple of times. This ensures the battery will be charged to its full capacity in the future. I don't know whether this applies to tablets and mobile phones.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm back! I hope...? Anyway I have basically slept since whatever day that was. I have a brand new surge protector , a good one! Now I have a new problem, or maybe this is normal? When it is plugged in and charging YAY 100% NOW, when it is plugged in and I touch the area where the plug goes into the iPad the screen comes on and off or the lock screen ( sorry should have said that in theorist one ) comes on and the battery comes on top of the lock screen. That shouldn't be happening right? So I think the cable is screwed up right where the wire goes into the thing that goes into the port on the iPad. What do you guys think? Thanks, good to be back too!!Squib

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think that the cable is messed up. It happens. Especially if you use the iPad while plugged in a lot, and tend to flex the cable.

Welcome back.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome back, Sqib.

When I pick up my iPad while its charging the lock screen turns on, showing the amount of charge the battery has received at that point. It switches off after a couple of seconds if I do nothing else.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Welcome back, Sqib.

When I pick up my iPad while its charging the lock screen turns on, showing the amount of charge the battery has received at that point. It switches off after a couple of seconds if I do nothing else.

That's the one! Because the last time ( many moons ago :) just kidding ) I went to charge it is when it said " not charging " and I knew it had to be the wiring in this house. A very generous friend went and got me a good surge/brownout power protector a d it charges so fast now I am amazed!! Zippity-doo-dah I'm back in the game. I also feel very lucid at 4AM my time which is also normal for me. Tomorrow is a holiday here for Queen Victoria's birthday, is it the same anywhere else? Do you guys get to put your feet up or do something you wouldn't if you were working all day?
I can't thank you guys enough for holding on and helping me figure this out! Many Gratis!

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Saib,

I'm so glad all is Ok electronically wise now :)

We don't celebrate Victoria Day in the UK. Howeve we have 2 bank holidays each May. This year 6th May was the early spring holiday. 27th will be the Spring BH.

Must go -Chelsea Flower Show programme is starting. :)

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Saib,

I'm so glad all is Ok electronically wise now :)

We don't celebrate Victoria Day in the UK. Howeve we have 2 bank holidays each May. This year 6th May was the early spring holiday. 27th will be the Spring BH.

Must go -Chelsea Flower Show programme is starting. :)

YOU ARE A BRIT !! And you guys don't celebrate QV's birthday but CANUCKS DO???? Wow, that is an oxymoron in my mind! Ya, thanks, it seems things are working electronically in my iPad as well as my brain!!

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
YOU ARE A BRIT !! And you guys don't celebrate QV's birthday but CANUCKS DO???? Wow, that is an oxymoron in my mind! Ya, thanks, it seems things are working electronically in my iPad as well as my brain!!

I'm a Brit, and Canadian born at that! ;)

It may be that QV Day was merged on with the late May BH.

Most reactions