What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have searched help and this topic but cant find any reference so here i am.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You would not have to sync the iPad to iTunes to have a passcode set. However, if you can't reset or restore the iPad from Settings > General > Reset; then the only way to Restore the iPad is using iTunes. You don't have to sync to do this.

Or, just call Apple Support. Or, if you can get to an Apple Store, make an Genius Bar appointment and let them take a look. Hopefully they can make it right.

If you have ever fiddled with the Restrictions settings, it's very easy to create a passcode for it. It demands one the moment you turn it on. Just try to go to Restrictions and see if it is on. Once on, the only way to get back in is to know the passcode or Restore the iPad.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I do know about the the restrictions part. I chose never to change that or go into it. I am the only person who has access to my iPad, and I KNOW that it happened after I updates to IOS 6. Now I will set up an appt with the Genius Bar. Thanks! Here's hoping that will resolve it! I do know other people who have complained about the restrictions pass code being set up without their doing anything so maybe it is a bug.!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No telling.

Personally, I make it a point to turn on Restrictions. That way I know what the passcode is, it can't be set accidentally, and no one else can change it for me; joke or not. It's not like I have to actually turn on any of the Restrictions.

Good luck with your appointment. Please let us know how it turns out.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I didn't realize I had to GO somewhere. I am stuck flat on my back. I know I got help before with iChat but I can't seem to find the right page to find it again. Do you have any idea where that is? Thanks BTW, I really appreciate you spending so much time on this! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, let me explain.

A Genius bar appointment is a physical appointment at an Apple Store. It's nice, if you can go, but not necessary.

If you contact Apple Support, they have a variety of ways of interacting; email, chat, phone. You don't have to go anywhere. If they decide your iPad needs repair or replacement they'll (usually) arrange for it to go through mail. In the case of a replacement they usually send you the new one with a box and post to send the old one back. Hold in mind, you'll be charged for a new iPad if the old one isn't sent back.

If it's not a hardware issue, you are out of warrantee, or don't have AppleCare, there may be charges. Be sure to find out up front; though they should make that clear.

Hold in mind this is based on my personal experience in the U.S.. Your's may vary.

To start and Apple Support ticket, start Here. Be sure you pick your country at the top first.

https://expresslane.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, you are a sweetheart! I just had a long chat with someone who didn't solve my problem but gave me directions, the ones you just gave me! I should have stuck with you. The weird thing is!,,,,,,,,are you ready?........the beefs have stopped, my battery is at 100% ......so for tonight at least I can rest easy for now. I just hope the beeping doesn't start at about three in the morning!! Life without the beeb! Who could have known something so simple could drive my crazy! The Dalai Lama said something about that! Something about a mosquito! Thanks again! Much LIKE!! :) :) :) tomorrow I will start working on it again. For now I will breathe easy.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmmm, the beeps have stopped, the battery charged?

You know, it sounds like a bad power cable or connector. The iPad beeps every time it senses power, so if the cable were intermittent, it would beep each time the cable made connection again.

Try gently wiggling the cable on the iPad end, then on the power (USB) end and see if you can make it beep. If that works, get a new charging cable. If you've got another iOS device from the last few years, the cable on it should work as well. I'm assuming a 30 pin cable here.

Way cheaper than having to fix the iPad itself.

If the wiggling does the beeping, but using a different cable does not stop it, then the connector on the iPad or power brick may be bad. Be sure to tell Apple Support the results of your experiments.

In the morning though. Have a good nights sleep.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh sorry to say the BEEBS are back! However I unplugged it from the charge cable and the beeps stopped! I am thinking I might need a new power cable, and that something about it is hinky. Perhaps that message about " this device is not supported by this charger " OR close to that! Are new power cables expensive? Would you trust Craig's List or others like that would be a good place for a second hand one? Or just buy a NEW one? Remember, I am flat on my back and have to count every penny! I don't want to end up in the situation of " The cheap comes out expensive " ? Guess I will google it now or APPLE store it! Thanks! Again so very grateful :) for you and :-( for me. No pity party though! There is a reason all my friends call me Sunny Side Up !! You truly have been extraordinary for your help tonight! BIG LIKES!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The official cables cost $21.00 at the Apple store or an authorized reseller. The price is the same for lightning or 30 pin connectors.

If the problem is your cable and your warranty is still in effect, you should be able to get a free replacement. Unfortunately, this would entail bringing your iPad and cable down to the Apple store to be checked out. Do you have family or a friend who could do it for you?

Last edited:
OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am beginning to think I need a surge/brownout power pack! That is what I had to do for my PC when I was up and around. Wondering if there is a power bar that covers both surges and brownouts. Am going to phone around today. I just hope I haven't done too much damage to the battery already! Thanks, Squib

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am beginning to think I need a surge/brownout power pack! That is what I had to do for my PC when I was up and around. Wondering if there is a power bar that covers both surges and brownouts. Am going to phone around today. I just hope I haven't done too much damage to the battery already! Thanks, Squib

I'd be more likely to suspect the cable, power adaptor, or connectors than the AC power. The house power would have to be truly horrendous to cause the constant beeping you are describing; light flickering, clock reseting horrendous

On the other hand, a UPS on your computer equipment is always a good idea.

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No kidding! I KNOW this house is screwed up as far as grounding goes. I will add more in a bit but have a medial emergency - going in and out of shock, have to let the meds work. Thanks,

OP
squib

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank so much guys, just surfaced for a minute and had to check. You are easier to talk to than my family and the fact that I know you are there brings great comfort. In the meantime if you know of a surge bar that does brownouts too please leave Info, evert guns going white agAin

Most reactions

Latest posts