What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a wifi mini, now im considering cellular. Opinions?

What do you think?

• Wait for the iPad mini 2 with retina

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Get the cellular mini now and drop the phone plan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go the mifi route, try to get a Mifi that's on Verizon's network. I've had a Virgin Mobile mifi for 2 years and its gotten slower over time. I've heard Sprint has oversold their data so it makes everyone's slow. That said mifi's are incredibly convent. I have a Verizon hotspot now and it's 3G but I'm getting 2.5Mbps downloads and I was only getting 512kbps on Virgin.

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you jailbreak your phone you can tether your ipad to your phone anywhere you go....

Unkei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Currently have my wifi iPad mini and loving it. I'm getting a good amount of cash back from taxes this year! And this happens to coincide with my new obsession: getting rid of the need for my phone. And Ive found a way to eliminate the need for it. [If you want details, read the next paragraph, if you want the gist of it, read the last paragraph]

I use my mini way more than my iPhone, and I have the mini on me more than my phone, especially around the house. I tend to not notice missed calls and texts for hours because my phone is in another room. For me, the iPhone is the additional device I'm carrying around (just in case someone calls or texts me) while my mini is the main device. But lately I've discovered an app called millitalk, which can send and receive calls and texts with a unique cell number on a prepaid plan. Anyway, this app on the mini basically eliminates my need for a separate phone. The issue is I'd need cellular service in order to get the calls/texts when I'm away from a wifi zone.

My phone contract is nearly up, so this is the perfect time to start considering my options. I'm planning on getting the new mini with cellular upon its release, but that probably won't be till October (rumors). So my question to you fellow users, should I wait till the mini 2 to go for the cellular? Or should I get the cellular mini 1 and cancel my phone plan now (which will definitely be saving me a lot of money)? And I know what you all are thinking, "first world problems..." But any advice you give will definite impact my decision! Thanks!
Hi there,
In my humble opinion get the wifi model and buy a $99 Sprint hotspot. It will offer cheaper data plans, and you will not have to choose which (flavor) of cellular model to buy, then find you are tied to their service. And if you do anyway, don't let them tell you that you can't get data service from another provider on their brand iPad. It just ain't so! And if you buy the wifi and a hotspot, you will save the premium Apple charges for Cellular models. The hotspots work seamlessly and you won't be able to tell the difference.
Unkei

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it depends on what cell company you have. I have verizon and tethering is free so I have no need to pay for a cellular iPad.

thormcse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the wifi model before Christmas. I gave it to my daughter for Xmas and bought the LTE model. I have Verizon and the hotspot from my phone was free but it would sometimes take a few minutes to connect. It was a pain to not know how long it was going to take. I love the mini I have now. I like idea of retina but I wonder what the battery life will be like. I have really good battery life with this one.

Most reactions

Latest posts